• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

California Mother Charged with Murder after Breastfeeding on Meth

I don't see how its murder instead of manslaughter. To me (and my best understanding of what wikipedia tells me) murder seems to imply intent, and I don't see anything in the article indicating she meant to kill her child. Can any of you saying manslaughter isn't enough give me an explanation why? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the difference between murder and manslaughter, but this sounds like manslaughter to me.

Wikki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder

I just think she knew her actions were going to be detrimental to her baby, and she didnt care, she went ahead and did it when the bub could have been given a bottle...She did nothing to minimalise the danger to her child and went ahead and got high, then got sore tits and fed her baby...Manslaughter should be reserved for "Accidental deaths"

In the link above i think/beleive its saying the link is she is guilty of common law murder.

"Reckless indifference to an unjustifiably high risk to human life (sometimes described as an "abandoned and malignant heart"....Is the part..........Its just my opinion and im not necessarly right..but i stand by it....

I don't see how its murder instead of manslaughter. To me (and my best understanding of what wikipedia tells me) murder seems to imply intent, and I don't see anything in the article indicating she meant to kill her child. Can any of you saying manslaughter isn't enough give me an explanation why? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the difference between murder and manslaughter, but this sounds like manslaughter to me.

Plenty of deaths without intent are charged as murders. Two examples from Florida (the state I'm familiar with):

• Me and a friend break into your house. You shoot my friend in the head. I am charged with murder.
  • I give methadone to someone who overdoses and dies. I am convicted of murder and given the death penalty (this is a real law!)