• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

California Mother Charged with Murder after Breastfeeding on Meth

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Charges against a California mother have been upgraded from manslaughter to second-degree murder this week after evidence at preliminary hearings suggested that she knowingly endangered her infant's life by breast-feeding while using methamphetamine.

Six-week-old Anthony Acosta III died last year after an allegedly lethal amount of the drug was passed to him when his mother, Maggie Jean Wortman, 26, continued to breast-feed despite her meth habit.

Wortman is pleading not guilty to charges of murder, arguing that it was not the meth in the infant's bloodstream that resulted in his death, Wortman's attorney, M.C. Bruce, told ABC News.

According to court documents, Wortman tested positive for methamphetamine use while six months pregnant with Anthony and also admitted to investigators that she used the drug during pregnancy and approximately three times after Anthony was born, the Times-Standard of Eureka, Calif., reported.

Wortman reported to police that she used meth as recently as two days before Anthony's death, but because meth supposedly has a half-life of only 11 hours, Bruce said the idea that the meth killed Anthony "does not compute."

While meth's half life -- the time when a drug is considered active -- is nine to 12 hours, it remains detectable in the saliva for as long as three days and in the urine for up to five days. Also, infants are much more sensitive to low levels of meth than adults are, according to toxicologists, and breast milk tends to concentrate the drug.

(...)

It is also possible that the infant died from other causes, however, said Casavant, as some studies have shown that infants nursing from mothers on meth do not show adverse effects.

Wortman claims that she had no knowledge of the fact that using meth while breast-feeding could be dangerous to her baby.

"I don't know what in the preliminary hearing made them decide to charge her with murder," Bruce said.

He suspected the prosecution may have changed the severity of the charges because of a policeman's testimony that Wortman was given a pamphlet on the dangers of breastfeeding while using meth.

Wortman's 19-month-old daughter also tested positive for methamphetamine and is reportedly in protective custody.

Wortman's case is one of at least four court cases in California that have been brought against mothers who allegedly killed or injured their infants by breastfeeding while taking methamphetamine. Only 31-year-old Amy Lieanne Prien was actually convicted of murdering her baby, a 3-month-old son named Jacob, back in 2003, but the conviction was later appealed and overturned. All other convictions have been of child endangerment, not murder.

cont at
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Drugs/...stfeeding-meth/story?id=14231552#.T2g20HhQRG4

Wortman claims that she had no knowledge of the fact that using meth while breast-feeding could be dangerous to her baby.

How stupid can you be?

While the mother is definitely irresponsible and selfish, could meth taken days earlier really kill a baby? Because I know people can get busted for an OUI for smoking weed weeks before driving. Traces of drugs last in your system long after the high is gone.

Even if the baby died from something else (could have been sudden infant death syndrome) it is still terrible and reckless that a mother could do this. If she had to use meth she could have just fed him formula.

While the mother is definitely irresponsible and selfish, could meth taken days earlier really kill a baby? Because I know people can get busted for an OUI for smoking weed weeks before driving. Traces of drugs last in your system long after the high is gone.

Meth has a half life of 10 hours (according to google)
Whereas weed has a half life of 4-10 days (also according to google)

So I guess it makes sense that people get busted a while after smoking for traces in they body, don't understand how meth a few days before could KO a baby though.

If those facts up thar are wrong, someone tell me. Don't wanna be a bullshitter. ;)

meth half-life in adult humans is irrelevant to 6-week-old babies. This statement is a non-sequitir:

because meth supposedly has a half-life of only 11 hours, Bruce said the idea that the meth killed Anthony "does not compute."

meth half-life in adult humans is irrelevant to 6-week-old babies. This statement is a non-sequitir:
Not exactly. We're not talking about the half-life in 6-week-old babies. The question is how much meth could possibly have been in the milk, and would that much meth be enough to kill a baby. So far, no one seems to be able to answer that question.

Not exactly. We're not talking about the half-life in 6-week-old babies. The question is how much meth could possibly have been in the milk, and would that much meth be enough to kill a baby. So far, no one seems to be able to answer that question.

lol yeah my comment was pretty dumb; thanks for pointing that out!

SHe claims to not know that its dangerous to breast feed while using meth?...BULLSHIT!!!...Why couldnt she have bottle fed him...Poor little soul...What would it feel like for a 6 week old on meth? WOuld he have symptoms like those of adults....God i cant even fathom..Some people just dont deserve children at all..ANd her older daughter aslo had meth in her system...It makes me sick...

I would call for a murder charge..She would have been told sometime during her pregnancy about this shit..She knew and didnt give a fuck...She was too selfish and just wanted to get high..Murder...not manslaughter.....

I can see that, I was just thinking a mother would never intentionally kill her child. That, to me, is murder. Nice counterpoint, I am no authority.

Hey humble....I was just refering to the article, not any of the above posts...I just saw that you mentioned it and thought id give my opinion too!!;)

After re-reading your post though humble, i do beg to differ...There are many (too many) many "mothers" out there that have intentionally killed their children...:(

And being a "Dumbass Bitch" isnt an excuse.... Im sorry but this shit makes me so mad..

Last edited:
It seems to me that the mother bears a lot of responsibility, but not as if she took a gun and shot the baby.
Manslaughter (babyslaughter) seems too light, but 1st-degree murder seems too heavy.
Any legal experts out there want to explain 2nd-degree murder, or other intermediate categories?

If she was using Methamphetamine whilst pregnant, it is entirely possible this damaged and weakened the heart/cardiovascular system of the baby prior to birth, and therefore it may have only taken relatively small amounts of methamphetamine to overstress the baby's cardiovascular system leading to the death.

I don't know much about the metabolic fate of methamphetamine, but it might be possible that, despite the relatively short half-life of methamphetamine, it may break down into metabolites which have longer half-lives and this of course may have contributed.

I'd definitely call Manslaughter on this (well kind of more death by misadventure, though clearly some degree of negligence has been caused on the mothers part). Yes it was a stupid thing to do, but if 2 days were left between feeding and the last usage of meth, it would not be too unreasonable (from a drug/pharmocologically naive person) to think this was a sufficient spacing between breastfeeding and the use of the drug.

Unless she was some backwards redneck out in back of the hills type woman, who never once saw a doctor or had zero pre-natal care, she bloody well knew that whatever a breastfeeding mother consumes, her unborn baby will consume also...When the doc knew at 6 months preg that she was using meth, they wouldve told her the ins and outs of pregency and drugs..Unless she had NO CARE whatsoever, she knew what she was doing...Even two days is not enough..Adults still feel the effects up to several days later sometimes...

I dont think its 1st degree murder as she didnt seem to plan the murder of her child...But shit amn...Manslaughter isnt enough either...Theres just no fucking way that she didnt know the risks of what she was doing....EVERY mum knows that if you get pissed the night before you breastfeed, your baby will feel the effects of the alcohol in your milk...

The infant heart has a resting bpm of 120-160. It's also very sensitive to stimuli, whether natural (pain, hunger, etc.) or artificial (drugs).

Methamphetamine is metabolized mainly into amphetamine and pholedrine - which are both active and still potent stimulants in their own right - as well as a few other compounds. Therefore, I'm thinking - at the very least but I could be wrong - that the baby may have ingested some of the metabolites if not the actual meth, which, are still can easily compromise a 6 week old infant's fragile cardiovascular system and leading to multiple organ failure and death.

Nonetheless, the mother is.... well you guys said it.

I was just thinking that when breast milk gets made, it gets stored in the tit for a while. So the milk in the tit may have stuff from several days prior in it, regardless of the current composition of the blood. Right?

^^^Thats correct...Although most breastfeeding mums need to empty each boob every day or we get mastitis...ummmm...yoghurt!

When i breast fed i without fail empty'd each one every day, but if you didnt empty daily, you are correct in thinking there could be milk left over..