• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

California Gov. Jerry Brown Carries the Torch for the War on Drugs

Bluelight Crew
http://www.drugpolicy.org/blog/california-gov-jerry-brown-carries-torch-war-drugs

Over the long weekend, California Gov. Jerry Brown chose to continue the 40 year old failed war on drugs.

Brown rejected the national ‘smart on crime’ trend and pragmatic public policy by vetoing SB649, which aimed to give judges and district attorneys the discretion to charge possession of small amounts of illicit drugs for personal use as a felony or a misdemeanor as the case warrants.

Brown chose to make no advance towards the federal court order to reduce prison overcrowding. The governor chose to defy supermajority public opinion on how California should deal with nonviolent drug offenders.

Drug use is a health issue, not a criminal justice one. And the last thing someone struggling with problematic drug use needs is a lifelong felony record. Felony sentences don’t reduce drug use and don’t persuade users to seek treatment, but instead, impose tremendous barriers to housing, education and employment after release – three things we know help keep people out of our criminal justice system and successfully reintegrating into their families and communities. States that currently charge drug use as a misdemeanor actually show higher rates of drug treatment use.

Locking up people for simple drug possession comes at a tremendous cost to the taxpayers, between $40,000 and $52,000/year to be precise, depending on whether they serve their time in a prison bed or a county jail.

According to state data, there are 10,000 convictions for possession of heroin and cocaine for personal use each year in California. The majority of these 10,000 sentences are to felony probation. SB649, authored by state Sen. Mark Leno and supported in the legislature by some Republicans, as well as most Democrats would have helped reduce prison and jail overcrowding in California and provided savings to the financially-strapped courts because felony charges require setting a preliminary hearing, whereas misdemeanor offenses do not.

Brown let down the people of California, the majority of whom support going even farther than this bill would have gone. While the law enforcement lobby gained a huge win with this veto, the public opinion that strongly favors this type of drug sentencing reform was dismissed.

A statewide 2012 poll showed 75 percent of Californians favoring investment in prevention and alternatives to jail for non-violent offenders, with 62 percent agreeing that the penalty for possessing a small amount of illegal drugs for personal use should be reduced to a misdemeanor. Leno’s bill provided a safe and logical opportunity to reduce the number of people incarcerated for simple drug possession.

Two months after U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder announced the nation’s plan to scale back federal prison sentences for low-level drug crimes, California is still struggling for consensus on how to comply with a federal mandate to reduce prison overcrowding, much of which has been driven by overly harsh drug sentencing.

In fact, today the U.S Supreme Court rejected Brown's appeal in the state's prison overcrowding case, leaving California under federal court order to reduce its prison population by nearly 8,000 inmates by Jan. 27, 2014.

Not only would SB649 have helped the governor meet the federal court order, it would have brought California closer to the standard of 13 states, the District of Columbia, and the federal government, which already treat drug possession as a misdemeanor. Drug crime is not higher in those states.

Instead, California remains one of worst in the country with harsh drug sentencing standards and overcrowded prisons and jails.

Lynne Lyman is the California state director for the Drug Policy Alliance.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/blog/california-gov-jerry-brown-carries-torch-war-drugs

Hey Jerry Brown you officially receive todays assclown award.. enjoy it Sir.. you have definitely earned it!!!! You are a moron... Guess you think all cases are the same and that a judge isn't competent enough to make good descion without your sick minimums. I may just have to look up your campaign supporters and any private financial interests you hold in any industries that are exploiting cash off the utterly failed drug war. Wouldn't be surprised if you own a whole lot of stock in Bobby Barkers prison supply racket. Way to stay the course jackass.

NSFW:
donkey-tongue-Q.gif

Wait a minute, this is pretty weird.
Jerry Brown has been a champion of human beings for 4 decades.
It's not like I followed his career closely, but I have seen him do many good things.
He must have some reason for doing this, I guess. Not that I am happy about what he did this time, but knowing his previous voting record...
I will reserve judgment until I know more about this story.

Wait a minute, this is pretty weird.
Jerry Brown has been a champion of human beings for 4 decades.
It's not like I followed his career closely, but I have seen him do many good things.
He must have some reason for doing this, I guess. Not that I am happy about what he did this time, but knowing his previous voting record...
I will reserve judgment until I know more about this story.
So I guess Jello Biafra was just hating on him for no reason. His reason for doing this was simple and if you think someone as subservient to the establishment as him is a champion for humans then you need a course. But, maybe I'm missing something. Could you give me some examples of his public servitude?

Jerry Brown recently signed a pro-abortion bill that would allow non-physicians to perform abortions because, said Brown, that people were in control of their own bodies. Really, Jerry? Is that so?

...But like most fake pro-choicers, he is paid for by the moneyed interests that line his pockets and keep his dick nice and hard. I wonder what his views are on voluntary euthanasia? Probably the same as his views on drugs, and I doubt he'd let someone get hold of Seconal so they could die with dignity. He is NOT pro-choice, in spite of his views on abortion. He is PRO-ABORTION, that is all folks, he is a FAKE pro-choicer (READ: pro-abortion).

I don't think I'd be taking any advice from this pig, and he IS a pig, no doubt about it, he is an ABSOLUTE fucking hypocrite in the worst possible way.

Could you give me some examples of his public servitude?

He serves the prison-industrial complex, as evidenced by him continuing with the failed WOD.
He serves the abortion industry too, by the looks of his recent bill that gave non-physicians the legal capacity to perform abortions.
Chances are he probably had no problem with Bush's Iraq war either.

I'd say he is a bit of a weirdo. I wouldn't want him anywhere near me. Is he a hypocrite? I would say so.

So I guess Jello Biafra was just hating on him for no reason. His reason for doing this was simple and if you think someone as subservient to the establishment as him is a champion for humans then you need a course. But, maybe I'm missing something. Could you give me some examples of his public servitude?

What I know about him is that he does not live in the governor's mansion, but instead in a rented apartment.
He walks to work or drives a sedan instead of using a limo.
His hesitance to spend government money wastefully resulted in an unprecedented surplus in CA.
He is strongly against the death penalty.
Appointed the first openly gay judge in the US.
Complains that the two-party system is corrupt.

I appreciate all of these things he did/does; hence my earlier positive comments.

However, politicians are all scum, imo, so it is not a huge surprise to me that he has done some distasteful things.
This war on drugs thing is probably the worst of all, to me.
Don't know anything about the abortion thing people are talking about. I will have to look into it.

Oh, well. Can't trust a politician.

This is ridiculous. California as a state has wayyyy too many problems to worry about drugs. How about all of the people that are leaving?

What I know about him is that he does not live in the governor's mansion, but instead in a rented apartment.
He walks to work or drives a sedan instead of using a limo.
His hesitance to spend government money wastefully resulted in an unprecedented surplus in CA.
He is strongly against the death penalty.
Appointed the first openly gay judge in the US.
Complains that the two-party system is corrupt.

I appreciate all of these things he did/does; hence my earlier positive comments.

However, politicians are all scum, imo, so it is not a huge surprise to me that he has done some distasteful things.
This war on drugs thing is probably the worst of all, to me.
Don't know anything about the abortion thing people are talking about. I will have to look into it.

Oh, well. Can't trust a politician.

Sounds like he worked hard to carefully craft that man of the people image. Im sure its bullshit like most things politicians say and do.

Jerry Brown is a "liberal" in some ways, but overriding that...he's an egomaniacal lunatic that believes in imposing his beliefs on others, which a lot of "liberals" are the same way, hardly "live and let live" kind of people...A lot of right wing Christian conservatives are that way too...The far left and far right may have drastically opposing beliefs, but they both seem to believe in legislating a moral standard for everyone to live by...

I don't think I have the right to come up with a list of what's right and wrong and force other people to live that way...People can do things that I may consider wrong, as long as it doesn't cause physical harm and infringe on other people's right to do what they want, they can go ahead and do it....

Jerry Brown is a delusional power whore....That DK song was written in the early '80s when he was governor the first time....

"The kids will meditate in school!" is one of the lines, referring to Jerry Brown trying to force mandatory meditation on CA students...what an asshole!

The best would be a government that supports the people, not one that controls them...