• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Caffeine Gives a Boost to Painkillers

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
A cup of coffee in the morning will not only help wake you up – it also improves the effectiveness of pain relieving drugs, according to a new British study.

Caffeine has long been added to over-the-counter painkillers such as paracetamol (Tylenol), ibuprofen and aspirin, in the belief that it enhances their pain relieving effects. However, evidence to support the use of caffeine in analgesics is limited and was largely based on a handful of studies conducted nearly 30 years ago.

To update the research, a team at the University of Oxford collected data from 19 modern, double-blind studies that compared patients who took a painkiller to those who received the same medication plus 100 to 130 mg of caffeine, a dose equivalent to a cup of coffee. Over 7,200 patients in the studies took mostly paracetamol or ibuprofen for a variety of painful conditions, including post-operative dental pain, postpartum pain and headache.

“There was a small but statistically significant benefit with caffeine used at doses of 100 mg or more, which was not dependent on the pain condition or type of analgesic,” wrote lead author Sheena Derry, a senior research officer at University of Oxford. About 5% to 10% of the patients achieved “a good deal of pain relief” with the addition of caffeine.

cont at
http://americannewsreport.com/caffeine-gives-a-boost-to-painkillers-8813569.html

I disagree.........caffeine at least with me, diminishes the effectiveness of my pain med.

I disagree.........caffeine at least with me, diminishes the effectiveness of my pain med.
This study only involves NSAIDs, particularly paracetamol (acetaminophen) and ibuprofen. I say this because when someone mentions "pain med" I assume they are referring to an opioid.

This study only involves NSAIDs, particularly paracetamol (acetaminophen) and ibuprofen. I say this because when someone mentions "pain med" I assume they are referring to an opioid.

Ahh.....in that case, carry on :)

Interesting... I am a rapid metabolizer of caffeine, and opiate pain killers don't work on me. There must be a correlation!

That's what I was going to say. Useless if it doesn't potentiate opiates, which are the real "pain killers". Potentiating paracetamol or ibuprofen is useless.

In other news: the ingredients of OTC pain medication Excedrin (NSAIDs and caffeine), a product popular for decades, were all included on purpose.

yeah maybe a moderator could change the title of the thread to "Caffeine Gives a Boost to non-narcotic Painkillers" just for clarity.

as a chronic migraine sufferer for the past 23 years, i can attest that it does indeed work to increase the effectiveness. that is what makes excedrin migraine, the caffeine.