• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Caffeine alternative to Adderall?

drfeelgood1

Bluelighter
Quick question. Would taking 200mg of caffeine pills be a safer alternative to taking Adderall especially if a person gets off of Adderall?

And for those of you who are on Adderall does it make your heart beat faster than caffeine? Does it also raise blood pressure like caffeine would?

I would guess caffeine is used purely for energy and Adderall just to enhance focus and creativity.

I’m not on Adderall, this is just a curiosity question. But I do take caffeine pills.

200mg of caffeine instead of what dose of Adderall? They really aren't comparable at all apart from both being stimulants. 200mg of caffeine is like one energy drink, I don't think you could really dose Adderall low enough to get the same effect lol

Absolutely not.
They aren't even comparable. CNS stimulants like Adderall affect dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine. The effect is pronounced mental clarity/euphoria that caffeine can't touch on your best day.

Last edited:
Caffeine works very differently to Amphetamine. Caffeine is an adenosine receptor antagonist. It works by blocking the activation of these receptors which are responsible for regulating our natural sleep cycle. It fools you into feeling more awake than you actually are. This triggers the brains fight or flight response, which results in a lot of Epinephrine/Adrenaline being released (but has very little effect on Dopamine and Nor-epinephrine).

With Amphetamine, the clue is actually in the name itself. Amphet-amine. It behaves like an amine neurotransmitter. It enters the pre-synaptic neurons through the Dopamine and Nor-epinephrine reuptake channels and occupies the vesicle spaces containing these neurotransmitters, effectively pushing them out into the synaptic pathways.

This is why Amphetamine tends to feel more warm and pleasant rather than an uncontrollable rush, while Caffeine can make you feel like you're under a lot of stress. Caffeine can feel more physically taxing without offering anywhere near the cognitive enhancements that Amphetamine can provide.