View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Cactus powder dosage... It's so variable! Aaaaagh

RhythmSpring

Bluelighter
So I'm considering buying about 225g of dried peruvian torch powder.

Only problem is, I don't know how much to take. Erowid says that the amount of dried peruvian torch material needed for 300mg mescaline (my desired dosage) ranges from 15 grams to 100 grams. That's a HUGE range!

Source:
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mescaline/mescaline_dose.shtml

I could dose 15 g and likely get a disappointing response, possibly a good one.
I could dose 50g and could get a disappointing response, a solid desired dose, or one that's way too strong,
Or I could dose 100g and likely get something too strong, or possibly right on target.

Now, this is precious (read: expensive) stuff, so I don't want to waste a lot testing its potency...

What do I do? Anyone else face this problem before?

PS- I am not currently in a position to be a chemist and do an extraction.

Try 25g & see what happens. Then work out what you'll need next time.

Or extract it & dose it accurately.

Extracting the mescaline out is actually very simple. The issue is that the potency of the cactus is very variable. By extracting out the mescaline, you can accurately measure out your desired dosage. You also get the added benefit of not having to consume a shit-ton of cactus. You're less likely to get sick if you don't have to eat or drink a bunch of cactus (300mg of powder goes down much easier than 25+g of plant).

If you search this site, you can find a thread about using d-limonene to extract mescaline. The entire process is food safe and is as easy as cooking. If you can bake a cake, you can extract mescaline. It's kinda late or I would go into more detail about the procedure. Search, and it should come up pretty easily.

Eh, as I said, I don't really want to do the extraction. It requires buying extra ingredients, and many hours of my time. I don't have that much time, and I just don't have the extra money for those ingredients. I'm just looking to consume this, no hassles. I also don't have a dehydrator where I am now.

I'm actually getting ready to extract some mescalito myself, though I know that the cactus experience is a lot different than the pure mescaline experience, extraction has a lot of benefits.

DO NOT ORDER DRIED CACTUS!

It is illegal and hurts the legal status of San Pedro!

DON'T DO IT!

Besides it always is weak as hell!

Take only the green layer from potent clones of Trichocereus and you can eat as little as 5g.

^ Wait, really? 5 grams is like nothing. BUT! How do you tell if you've got a *potent* clone?

See, this is my problem: I can't tell if the natural material I have is potent or not.

And I'm not doing any harm by ordering it. I'd be doing harm if I made a video of myself tripping and put it on youtube or something. But I seriously doubt just by making the transaction it's hurting the legal status...

Teotzl, we've been over this many times before. Technically, San Pedro itself is illegal, period. Any material that contains mescaline is Schedule I, and there is no exemption for live plants anywhere in the Controlled Substances Act. Buying dried powder is probably easier to prove intent to consume with, but as far as I know that isn't even relevant here. Intent to consume matters primarily with the analog act, but this is no analog, it's a Schedule I compound containing material. If the DEA ever feels like it, they can enforce the federal laws already on the books making ANY material containing ANY quantity of mescaline illegal, but it's unlikely they plan on banning some very popular and common decorative cacti like Peruvian Torch and San Pedro anytime soon. At any rate, please avoid mixing your advice with your political opinions.

Dried cactus is not "always weak as hell." Mescaline is quite stable and there's no reason drying or grinding a given cactus would cause any significant loss of mescaline in the material. Just because you prefer growing your own potent clones doesn't make all other means of acquiring and consuming the exact same drug bad ideas. The quality of material used by specific vendors to make the powder in the first place is not a topic to discuss on BL.

At any rate, there's no real way to tell. You can either do an extraction or you can guess. I HIGHLY recommend doing the extraction. Trying to choke down an ounce or more of that horrible cactus powder (it's bitter, nauseating and as soon as it gets wet it expands into an awful sludge, either in your mouth or your stomach, and if and when it comes back out it's also not too pleasant the second time around) is not worth it, especially if you end up with a weak trip and/or losing most of your mescaline when you vomit shortly after dosing. How do you plan to get all that cactus powder down without doing any sort of extraction? You say you want to avoid wasting the precious material but you also don't want to spend *any* additional money to make this happen. There's no magic rule of thumb to gauge the alkaloid content by mass of even a live cactus with any accuracy, let alone a bag of dried powder.

Last edited:
If you're going to use it without extracting, I recommend starting at 25g and put it into 00 capsules.

DO NOT ORDER DRIED CACTUS!

It is illegal and hurts the legal status of San Pedro!

DON'T DO IT!

Besides it always is weak as hell!

Take only the green layer from potent clones of Trichocereus and you can eat as little as 5g.

Care to explain any of those statements a little further? I see a lot of claims being made that I don't really understand the logic behind...

Dried cactus is legal in some places (here it was taken through the courts a couple of years ago.)

Trying to choke down an ounce or more of that horrible cactus powder (it's bitter, nauseating and as soon as it gets wet it expands into an awful sludge, either in your mouth or your stomach, and if and when it comes back out it's also not too pleasant the second time around) is not worth it, especially if you end up with a weak trip and/or losing most of your mescaline when you vomit shortly after dosing. How do you plan to get all that cactus powder down without doing any sort of extraction?

I did once with achuma powder. It was a mild (but very energetic) trip. Yeah, I dehydrated it with minimal water and slowly swallowed the sludge. A little nauseating, but I consider that part of the trip. Dry heaving can be cathartic on mescaline!

How do you tell if you've got a *potent* clone?

you gotta eat it, lol, that is basically the only way to tell

so make SURE you keep any potent clones and grow them!

Care to explain any of those statements a little further? I see a lot of claims being made that I don't really understand the logic behind...

ill post how to prepare cacti.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?p=8133858#post8133858

At any rate, there's no real way to tell. You can either do an extraction or you can guess. I HIGHLY recommend doing the extraction. Trying to choke down an ounce or more of that horrible cactus powder (it's bitter, nauseating and as soon as it gets wet it expands into an awful sludge, either in your mouth or your stomach, and if and when it comes back out it's also not too pleasant the second time around) is not worth it, especially if you end up with a weak trip and/or losing most of your mescaline when you vomit shortly after dosing. How do you plan to get all that cactus powder down without doing any sort of extraction?

This is what im talking about "knowing how to work with the plants"

either you got the shitty PC clone or your cactus isn't fresh

or is isn't prepared right

cause it takes me 10g at the most to trip

PM me for a source of potent clones

I also just received 30 grams of dried trichocerus bridgesii....and I'm looking to see which extraction technique to use...iv

Sorry,I didn't finish posting,but I heard you can extract using alcohol,is this a qfo

Sorry,I didn't finish posting,but I heard you can extract using alcohol,is this a good way to extract?...Or is the lemon'thing' technique better?