• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

buying first pistol, suggestions?

Off-topic post removed: please read here before posting further in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off-topic post removed: please read here before posting further in this thread.laws should be in T&A or something.

Off-topic post removed: please read here before posting further in this thread.

Jean Valjean is asking for assistance on selecting the right gun for it's intended use. If you have information to share, please do so, if you do not, keep moving!

If I have edited your post it is because you either were not responding appropriately to the poster's question, or you were responding to an off-topic reply.

This thread is NOT to be used as a moral debate about whether gun ownership is right or wrong. Any further off-topic replies will be edited out and the poster will be warned - no exceptions.

Last edited:
I apologize for intentionally going off topic, won't happen again.

And to remain on topic with this post... Have you considered weither or not you want an automatic for sure Jean? Or would a revolver be suitable as well?

If you're interested in revolvers, look into the...

Smith & Wesson Model 586/686 Distinguished Combat Magnum [357 Mag ($494)]
Taurus Model 608 Revolver [357 Mag ($447)]
Ruger SP101 (KSP-241, KSP-321X) [241, .22 LR; 321X, 357 Mag. ($458 )]

Kel-Tec P11. Best small handgun on the market for the size. Great accuracy, and extremely reliable. All this, for around $200. 9mm para BTW.

Red Haze: i think i would rather have an automatic, but i will definately look into those revolvers you posted though.

yeah, I was thinking the same as red_haze.

sure auto-pistol's are sexy as a mutha-fucka, but revolver may be better suited to your needs.

I'm sure there are plenty of revolvers out there that work semi-automatically as well, but the only one I know of is my dad's mystery gun ('cause I have no fucking clue what it is).

Your standard semi-auto is called that because it's an autoloading pistol. Not because you can fire as fast as you can pull the trigger.

The semi-auto revolver you're thinking of is actually called a double action revolver. Because it can be fired from a cocked or uncocked position, whereas a single action revolver needs to be recocked manually before every shot.

^haze, when you shoot a .22 at a homogeneous substance, it will keep a straight path. when you shoot a person, the bullet will bounce offa bones and rarely leave a body unless the bullet is on a path where no bones are in they way. the .44 will doze a path through the body(bones and all) and go elsewhere in the community.

IMO, for 99% target shooting, a .22 is best. and if he decides to start hunting, the .22 will useful then as well. to carry such a large caliber gun (.44), youd need a really good reason. i dont find that assuming he will get robbed is cause for getting such an expensive weapon.

thats just my 2 cents

ok yea i like guns, shot a fair few in my time... still young :p

i dont really agree with the home use of a .40 or whatever, i mean come on, a .22 will kill just as well...

your thinking about having some really powerful gun to shoot at a piece of paper and possibly to kill an intruder??? come on man!!

if i was to move to a country i would get a nice looking .22 and slightly mod it to suit my needs, IE scope etc, may also get a .22 rifle...

the reasons, cheaper, more accurate, less kick back, and if in caught your not really going to look threating are you?

all i am saying is a small gun does the same job as a big one.

theres no need to blow the hole the size of a can thru some ones chest - just because the entered your house, a nice little hole would stop alot of the cleaning up to do..

mintalyelevatid - I realize a standard .22 LR bullet will not blast through flesh and bone like butter. What I said was ' they have .22 LR shells that will pass through 22+ inches of ballistic gelatin(meant to simulate flesh).'

The shells I was talking about have a 60 grain bullet, which for a .22 is huge. And packs a hell of a punch.

I also agree that a .22 would be the best for Jean.

xXTOKERXx - A .22 is not more accurate, any larger caliber gun can be just as accurate. Although I have my doubts about the 9mm's, because every one of those I'd shot just plain sucked accuracy wise.

ok, once again, thanks for all the replies. since i dont know much about guns, but know more thanks to this thread, a .22 looks like it will be best. now i just gotta save money for the class and the gun.

Just don't go off fighting some silly french revolution and get yourself shot pretending to be Marius, only to be dragged through a sewer by some old man who's 'daughter' you're in love with. ;)

Have fun with your gun man.

-=ReD-hAzE=- said:
Just don't go off fighting some silly french revolution and get yourself shot pretending to be Marius, only to be dragged through a sewer by some old man who's 'daughter' you're in love with. ;)

Have fun with your gun man.

HAHAHA! :D

I was choosing a handgun over the summer, was seriously considering the glock, usp, and sig p226 .45 cal. After shooting all three quite a bit, I decided to go with the sig. It was easier to use, maintain, and shoot than the other guns. And it was by far more accurate, to me, than any of the other guns.

Actually, the gun I thought I would like the most, I liked the least, and that was the glock. Its not an inherently inaccurate gun, but it seemed to be more difficult to shoot due to the safety being right on the trigger. Far stiffer trigger pull than the other 2. The usp was bad ass, but I was looking for something with a little more power. So I ended up getting a sig. Its very fun to shoot, and I use it all the time right before finals at the shooting range.