• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Bupropions Effect Upon Codeine Absobtion

amnesiaseizure

Bluelighter
Although the title’s not quite accurate as it’s more about the effect Bupropion has on the conversion of codeine to morphine through the CY-something enzyme, does anyone have any idea of what kind of reduction this has?

It’s purely for my own interest as in the process of tapering off of a decade long prescription of codeine and have started bupropion in the last couple of months. Initially I only dropped out 15mg a day from the approx 200mg total and it felt like a LOT more than that. As time went on it just got worse. Things have levelled off a fair bit and I’m at 120mg/day now but it’d be good to know approx what that’s comparable to with bupropion in my system too.

If it’s even possible to work out.

Bupropion inhibits CYP2D6, the enzyme responsible for converting codeine into morphine.

While it would be very difficult to calculate exactly how much this is reducing the potency of your codeine, the amount absolutely would be very significant.

Bupropion inhibits CYP2D6, the enzyme responsible for converting codeine into morphine.

While it would be very difficult to calculate exactly how much this is reducing the potency of your codeine, the amount absolutely would be very significant.
Thank you, it certainly felt very significant!!

Do you think that you are able to manage tapering while still on the bupropion?
Yeah I do, I’ve already acclimatised to the change and was feeling ok at 45mg tds before dropping the lunchtime dose to 30mg about 3 days ago. I gonna stick here for a couple of weeks as I’m exhausted after nearly 7 weeks of this then take the morning dose down to either 30 or 38mg. It’s likely I’ll be back in work around that time so don’t want to be struggling with showering/eating/sleeping while in a high stress position.