• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Bupropion during opioid withdrawal

Zapgunn

Bluelighter
I have been taking bupropion for about 5 months. It helps a lot with my depression and lack of energy, but isn't great for my anxiety. When i first started taking it i had all sorts of terrible side effects from being too amped up. Now Im used to it. I still feel a little bit more anxious when taking it, but I feel its worth it for the energy boost, plus it helps with my ADHD or whatever.

2 months ago I relapsed on Heroin. I was able to kick heroin by using kratom for 8 days, now I'm quitting the kratom. Today is day one of my detox. I have tapered myself down pretty well, so while I'm definitely starting to feel sick I'm not expecting my withdrawals to be super intense.

I avoid stimulants like caffeine like the plague when I'm dope sick. So my question is: Should I discontinue taking my wellbutrin for the acute phase of my withdrawal? Im already feeling pretty anxious and I'm worried the bupropion will ramp up my anxiety and make it harder to sleep. But also lethargy and extreme depression is a problem when detoxing from opiates/kratom. Would discontinuing this medication suddenly while detoxing make this worse? I know that Norepinephrine isn't going to be great in withdrawal, but the dopamine boost would be super helpful.

I can't decide what to do, if anyone has any insight i would really appreciate it.

It's probably harder to discontinue two drugs at once rather than just one.

Since you've already been taking it a while, I would continue to take it for the duration of your withdrawals. Maybe scale the dose down some. I'm not sure how bupropion would effect your brain during opioid withdrawal, but it I imagine if H withdrawals are anything like benzo withdrawals, it could kill you. Bupropion raises the seizure threshold significantly. Maybe think of adding something like Gabapentin/Pregabalin for anti-convulsant effects. Would probably help with the anxiety too.[h=3][/h]