• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Bupropion and Tramadol

aspiringchemist

Bluelighter
Some questions on Tramadol

I cannot find a definitive answer to the question of safety combining tramadol and bupropion.

bupropion is an NDRI, therefore shouldn't affect serotonin too much and tramadol is an SNRI. I know mixing tramadol with an SRI is asking for SS. But bupropion does not have high serotonergic activity so what is the safety risk with using both?

I am aware of the lowering of seizure threshold as well.

Im also referring to reasonable, therapeutic doses of each. For example 150mg bupropion q.am and 50mg tramadol q.am
OR bupropion in the morning and tramadol in the evening?

I have been on bupropion for years and use kratom daily for pain. I dose them simultaneously without any issue and have for years. I also have followed the aforementioned bupropion/tramadol regimen in the past with absolutely no problem.

All I see all over the Internet is "Don't do it, seizure, SS, etc"

What is the pharmacological reason this is dangerous? Or is it?

Side question: thoughts on addition of kratom to this mix? It would seem these two share many of the same properties.
Side question: does tramadol effect serotonergic psychedelics (5ht2a agonists) such as LSD? Obviously the sedation etc would take from the full experience but I am referring to risk of serotonin syndrome or blocking of effects. Serotonin syndrome doesn't seem realistic with this combo as lsd is not a releaser.
Would a 24 hour window be sufficient for safe and full experience?

I'm well aware traditional opiates/opioids are much safer and have higher efficacy. I surely would be consuming them if I had access but the anti-narcotic movement is rampant in my area.

thanks!

Last edited:
they both increase seizure chances therefor it increases danger but from what I can tell it is indeed safe at low doses

I know what you mean when you mention the anti-narcotic movement. It seems to be rampant everywhere nowadays. Agree with above post- at therapeutic doses, you should be okay so long as you don't exceed the prescribed amount. Can't your doctor give you something else for pain like hydrocodone or codeine even? As far as tripping goes, I would not attempt to try LSD on either bupropion or tramadol. I'm not too sure if 24 hours would be enough time since you've been taking bupropion for years. You might get more concise answers to that question in Psychedelic Drugs. Be safe!

I would advise against it. I'm fairly certain a family member of mine had serotonin syndrome from this combination that was prescribed by their doctor. I say fairly certain because it's possible they were also taking something else, but I'm pretty sure it was the bupropion and tramadol that did them in.

If you do proceed with taking it, definitely avoid adding psychadelics or kratom. Bupropion is notorious for causing seizures at near therapeutic doses, and so is tramadol. I would highly, highly advise against combining two drugs that are notorious for causing seizures.

thanks for the responses.

Slow - sorry about your family member. Hope they are ok. It bothers me how unaware a portion of medical professionals are on the interactions of the medications they prescribe and the serious consequences that can occur.

a few things: I have taken this combo before for about 6 months with no issue.

I honestly cannot get anything else at this time. This was the compromise. I'm working toward pain management where I will actually get help. the hydro was pulled due to the DEA, fear etc

there is also clonazepam on board for what it is worth, all prescribed, so this should provide some protection as well. Phenibut is available if desired.

I have taken LSD throughout my time on bupropion without any issue. I always just skip the AM dose. There seems to be quite a bit of anecdotal evidence on BL supporting the safety of this combo. Bupropion does not seem to interact poorly with other substances for me. The tramadol is what concerns me as it has serotonin properties.

last night I proceeded with 50mg tramadol and 7 grams kratom (15 grams is my usual dose) and was just fine, felt relief, a little serotoniny for my taste but it did not feel unsafe in my opinion. with that said, I only take bupropion IR once in the morning. I would not take tramadol in the morning along with the bupropion. I did this a long time ago and definitely got sick, sweating, vomiting, increased heart rate. It very well could have been panic as the symptoms subsided after some time.

I see quite a few threads on BL pertaining specifically to trams + krat and generally the consensus is positive.
I have experimented again tonight.
50mg tramadol
T+ 1 hour 9 grams bali kratom

good synergy, pain relief. bit of a headache. overall positive though.

Last edited:
I just figured I'd share that experience. I have several reasons to be a biased in a negative way when it comes to tramadol lol. The clonazepam will certainly help prevent seizures.