• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Buprenorphine Withdrawals

^+1 Very good advice, especially the last couple sentences. I find less is more with subs too (for instance one dose of 4mg in the morning and another in the evening gives me just as much it not more than 8mg 2x/day). I always seemed to find that once you get to 2mg tapering gets a little more tricky, but if you keep your slow and steady pace you should be gooood :)

Tapering off a full agonist to get off bupe

A friend (honestly!!) got his bupe use down to .5 mg a day, but has decided to attempt to taper off a full agonist due to the extended nature of bupe withdrawal. How likely do you think he is to succeed?

Oh it's possible.

But not really, few of us are successful doing this.

He should have gone lower with buprenorphine.

I tapered off heroin once and I very nearly made it. I tapered all the way down from 500 mg per day to 10 mg per day. However, i then concluded that i had "control of my usage" so I decided that instead of quitting I would remain on a low lose for a little while. It eventually spiraled back to a high dose.

Very few people are able to successfully taper with full agonists, although it is possible. You want an opioid with a longer half life though, unless you have someone holding you shit and dosing you for you... Using a full agonist to taper off bupe sounds like an even worse idea.

For one, you'll have to use a lot more of the full agonist than normal due to the little bit of bupe being in your system and tolerance to the bupe. It will take about a week for the bupe to be all out of your system and your tolerance down enough so that you can really feel other opioids. During that first week off bupe though you'll have to compensate for tolerance and it's linger in your system and take more of your full agonist/short acting opioid. So by the end of the first week off bupe you're already be becoming dependent again to another opioids.

0.5mg is reasonableto come off the bupe without needing to detox/taper with a full agonist/short acting opioid. Get some tramadol or kratom to cope with the w/d from 0.5mg bupe. Use that for a couple weeks at most and taper. You'll be much better off.

What about high doses of Loperamide and or high doses of Gabapentin/ Pregabalin, starting to taper down after 2 weeks.

I found that a high dose of Pregababin and some Benzos eliminated withdrawal when not using a fairly high dose of Poppy tea.

You can get Gabapentin easy off an online pharmacy, Pregababin most countries outside the US. Oh and there are places that will write your prescription for you as well.

I'm just going to merge this with the Buprenorphine Withdrawals thread, just to keep things neat.

In theory, I've thought of doing this, as I've heard it has worked for some people. I imagine if you tapered down to a very low dosage of buprenorphine first (low as in .25 mg/day), and then switched to a weak full agonist like hydrocodone for a month, you could rid your system of the buprenorphine, while taking the minimal ammount of hydrocodone (or other full agonist) to keep withdrawals at bay. After the month, you could then just kick the hydrocodone cold turkey. I imagine it would just be like trading a really shitty 3 weeks for a really shitty week.

You'll still have to deal with the PAWS though, no matter what

Honestly though, I agree with C.H... using full agonists (the drugs that put you on bupe to begin with), to quit a partial agonist seems like it would take an incredible ammount of willpower. I can imagine the month running up, and saying, "well another week can't hurt". But that's just me.

What about high doses of Loperamide and or high doses of Gabapentin/ Pregabalin, starting to taper down after 2 weeks.

I found that a high dose of Pregababin and some Benzos eliminated withdrawal when not using a fairly high dose of Poppy tea.

You can get Gabapentin easy off an online pharmacy, Pregababin most countries outside the US. Oh and there are places that will write your prescription for you as well.

It's AMAZING how well neurontin works, until you build a tolerance... but even then, you're out of the worst of w/ds.

Just want to add my experience:

Did about a 10 month taper from 8 (Doc started me way way too high) all the way down to .25. I last took a dose early morning yesterday. It is 12:30ish now. I am not feeling anything too bad, and what I am feeling is physical. I have been clean from everything for about a year and a half, over the past two months I have a beer a few times a week (3 days maybe). Just one or two at the most though. That is it though, I have tons of experience tapering as I always did it off of full agonist and I was a very cyclical user (two weeks on, a month off, 3 weeks on, 2 months off etc etc... for 8 fucking years).

I have clonidine and atarax which help. I also am using loperamide. All in all, I think Sub is a great tool to use if you are serious about getting off. Its not something to play around with and use it as something to prevent you from getting sick when you cannot find full agonists.

I have a good doc and am doing this on my own accord. I am not opposed to taking .125 or even .25 today or tomm if I feel I need it. Right now I do not though. I am willing to do the every other day dosing if I need too.

I am feeling tight muscles and had restless legs last night (which I hate) I take a small dose of seroquel for sleep and with the clonidine I slept fine for the most part. I just woke up once and woke up early (which I have been doing for the past two weeks).

I got cut off at 10mgs. Then I ended up with a perk habit, mixed with heroin, and just started on methadone now.

Shit got pretty bad after coming off the subs.

Just an update, my last doses were .25 early morning on 4/13/12 and a small sliver the evening 4/14/12. The 14th and the 15th were semi-difficult, but nothing I could not handle. I did not sleep at all last night. I woke up feeling like crap, but since this afternoon I have felt pretty okay (better then expected). I know the nature of Sub withdrawals mean that the toughest part is ahead, but I have a crazy fast metabolism and as my dose got lower I had to switch to twice daily dosing and would wake up in the morning sick.

I did have some slight anxiety creep up around 5:00ish but 50 milligrams of Hydroxyzine and a small alcohol drink seemed to have covered it for the most part. The big difference today is that my joints are not killing me. They were bugging me big time over the past three days and they haven't really today. Right now I am just doing small chores and took a walk. Might work out for 20 mins tonight.

I was able to procure some Ambien, so I will take that with my Seroquel and possibly .05 of a Clonidine. I have a feeling I will get some sleep. I would have been able to sleep last night if it were not for the restless legs. I will try to keep this updated. I think my long taper might have given me nice advantage when I did jump off.

Got some sleep last night, not enough but some. Woke up feeling better then I have felt since I stopped taking the Suboxone (and maybe a little bit before). Stomach is a bit queasy, but nothing Loperamide cannot take care of. I am not trying to be cocky, but I think I am over the worst of it and the first 50 or so hours are the toughest.

The sleep is going to take the longest to adjust, but I can handle a few more rough nights. I do feel as if a fog is starting to lift. This is the first detox I did on my own, with some comfort meds and I feel way better then I did when I would go through WD from other opiates. I would try to smoke and drink my way out of them, which helped a bit but I am realizing I paid for it in the long run. Of course I did not have much of an option at that point, or at least I thought I didn't.

Wanted to share my experience b/c I was scared out of my mind to come off the subs. I was on 24mg for about 8 months and then tapered down to .5 over the next 8 months. After using opiates for a total of 5-6 years I came to the conclusion that sub would be best for me. After a few months of the sub I was fine until a friend told me to get off b/c the longer I waited would make it worse. I jumped off 6 days ago and I'm so happy that I did. The w/d is NOT that bad at all. I'm now convinced that a big part of w/d is mental. The sub allowed me to get away from shady people and get my mind right. I used to be the biggest pussy with w/d but I'm making it through just fine. Don't come off until you are ready. If your mind is right, it makes the w/d that much easier. You all can def get off the subs. Don't believe everything you read online b/c it can put negative thoughts in your head. I know that everyone is different, but for me its been surprisingly easy. I'm feelin about 85% normal today and its only been 6 days. The first few days weren't easy, but nothing compared to full agonist w/d like OC's or H

Oh yeah I forgot a few things.... Like everyone says, taper slowly... Slow, Slow, Slow! I did an 8 month taper and I'm guessing that this is why the w/d hasn't been too bad. Also, don't underestimate the power of immodium. I just started using it yesterday (day 5) and my stomach is feelin much better. I finally ate my first real meal yesterday and seem to have my normal appetite back today. For anyone trying to get off, just make sure your ready. For those that aren't using sub correctly or planning on using percs or vics to jump off, don't even bother. You can do it without other opiates. Keep positive, listen to music you love, drink water, gatorade, green tea, exercise if you feel up to it, spend time with people that love you and most important stay busy.

Bupe w/d's?

Maybe I should've posted this in the mega. Ionno. Anyway,

So, I started banging the sub strips towards the end of last month. Why? I was low and desperate. Well I got my script. For 240. I only need 10 to last me a month ( you can figure out where the rest goes). Now when I got them I jumped from banging .25mg to 2mg. After 2 days I went back to plugging (the best route of admin. for sub in my humble opinion. Lasts long and kicks in fast. The obvious bad side is playing with your asshole everyday -.-) Now that I went back tp pluggig I'm experienceing minor w/d symptoms

Anyone else can relate? Possible for my body to get a tolerance in under 72 hours?

merging w/ megathread. Definitely possible to get a tolerance in less than 3 days, from my experience. I always notice a difference when dosing buprenorphine on consecutive days.

merging w/ megathread. Definitely possible to get a tolerance in less than 3 days, from my experience. I always notice a difference when dosing buprenorphine on consecutive days.

Shit man. I wasn't aware of that. I'm surprised how fast my body got tolerant. But thx for the info.

Yeah I know, I like buprenorphine it's a nice opioid but only for irregular dosing, few times a month max, ya know? At least that's the most frequently I've been able to use it with anything close to full agonist euphoria, and it's analgesic potential isn't enough for my pain but I want to try it to supplement my full agonist therapy, for rebound pain.

I was on bupe for a year and a half, I reduced down to fucking 0.2mg/day - the withdrawals were fucking horrible (no different from a smack cluck). Don't believe the hype.

Just make sure you prepare yourself - Benzos,weed, alcohol, lofexidine/clonidine, drinking water, vitamins, clean bedsheets and clothes, and access to constant showers or baths.

Obviously, I'm not replying to the OP (as this thread was made aeons ago) but to anyone reading in general.