• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Bupe Buprenorphine withdrawal

VanOccupanther

Bluelighter
Hello everyone,

I am a brand new member so I’m not sure about the etiquette etc on here or if I need to attach this conversation to a specific forum, but hopefully someone can help me along with the details.

Anyway I’m gonna just get straight into my issue:

I’ve been on buprenorphine now for nearly three years as part of my treatment for a oxy/dhc habit. I started on 8mg and I’ve been on 4mg now for about 4 months. Tbh I’m getting pretty sick of it and my one daily dose kind of controls my life. I’m finding it really hard to taper off. Anyway three days ago I decided to stop taking it altogether, more as an experiment than anything else. I’ve been bracing myself for the inevitable withdrawal, but nothing yet after three and a half days. I’ve read some horror stories on here and I don’t expect for a minute that I’ve got off that easy (I’ve done enough w/ds to know this never happens!). I guess what I’m hoping to find out is if anyone knows if it will stick to my receptors for longer as I’ve been on it for so long, and if so when should I expect the inevitable to hit?!

Thanks in advance.

I have heard many horror stories too, I was on 4mg a day for 2 months and tapered down to 2mg a day, and I stayed there for about 6 months but sometimes I ived pills, but not more than 2mg total in a day. (I splitted the 2mg pills) it was a bad idea tho.. And I went back to sublingual 2mg. Then I stop suddenly.
After 3 days I took 1 MG sl and quit for good.
The sysmtoms were not too harsh :
I had Insomnia for 4-5 days, but some nights I slept an hour or two.
I had hot and cold flashes for 4 to 5 days and that's basically the worst of the physical symptoms but it eventually subsided . It's not severe but annoying. But a hot water in a bath tub and a pack of cigarette was enough to deal with that at least for me..
Every morning I took pantoprazole (a stomach otc med) I don't know if it actually helps prevent nausea but I vomited only once. I lost all appetite at the beginning days but I drank plenty of fluids,fresh coconut water was so good.. toasted bread with butter, egg roll, boild eggs (oddly it taste very good to me), chicken soup etc I tried lots of food trying to figure out which food I could eat without throwing up. By the end of the fourth week I was eating normally.
The worst symptom to me was psychological, I was depressed as hell but I watch movies, sit coms, eat a cookie, chips or drink juice during commercials..
But I stayed at home for a month without working. The reason I recovered quickly was probably because I ate very well, even before I started tapering I was eating healthy and preparing myself to eat well. Good luck. Stay safe

I have heard many horror stories too, I was on 4mg a day for 2 months and tapered down to 2mg a day, and I stayed there for about 6 months but sometimes I ived pills, but not more than 2mg total in a day. (I splitted the 2mg pills) it was a bad idea tho.. And I went back to sublingual 2mg. Then I stop suddenly.
After 3 days I took 1 MG sl and quit for good.
The sysmtoms were not too harsh :
I had Insomnia for 4-5 days, but some nights I slept an hour or two.
I had hot and cold flashes for 4 to 5 days and that's basically the worst of the physical symptoms but it eventually subsided . It's not severe but annoying. But a hot water in a bath tub and a pack of cigarette was enough to deal with that at least for me..
Every morning I took pantoprazole (a stomach otc med) I don't know if it actually helps prevent nausea but I vomited only once. I lost all appetite at the beginning days but I drank plenty of fluids,fresh coconut water was so good.. toasted bread with butter, egg roll, boild eggs (oddly it taste very good to me), chicken soup etc I tried lots of food trying to figure out which food I could eat without throwing up. By the end of the fourth week I was eating normally.
The worst symptom to me was psychological, I was depressed as hell but I watch movies, sit coms, eat a cookie, chips or drink juice during commercials..
But I stayed at home for a month without working. The reason I recovered quickly was probably because I ate very well, even before I started tapering I was eating healthy and preparing myself to eat well. Good luck. Stay safe

Cheers man. Do you remember how many days it took before the withdrawals actually began?
Im not 100pc sure.. But I think it creeped in around the 2nd day. If I remember correctly the 4th day was the worst. I feel so cold so I put some suncreen on and got up on the roof at noon with my Bluetooth speaker and layed up there for hours.. The funny thing is that day was the hottest day in our city ever recorded.

Lol thanks a lot for that!

It’s nearly a week now so I guess I’m out the woods!

Symptoms are minimal. Certainly lost my appetite, but I’m trying to take your advice and force myself to eat as best I can. Sleep is terrible, but nothing new there! I guess the biggest thing is emotional - for example driving to work the other day I randomly started crying and then before even realising it I was laughing hysterically! Had to pull the car over...