• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Buprenorphine need help

unryl

Greenlighter
I am a patient being treated with buprenorphine mono (subutex). I have a documented hypersensitivity to Naloxone and have been in maintenance treatment for the past year and a half. I have been doing great, haven't relapsed or anything. I have done all the counseling required. I go to a federally licensed OTP methadone clinic, but I get a prescription because they have a program for that. I earned my takes homes the hard way same as a methadone patient at first then they started the prescription program. The problem is in Virginia they have a bill that is awaiting the governors decision it is HB 2163. It prohibits prescriptions of mono bupe to only pregnant patients, and patients that are switching from methadone to subs, and it also says whatever the board of medicine decides. It also prohibits federal OTP clinics from dispensing it in take homes. I earned my take my take homes just like a methadone patient at first, because I couldn't have suboxone and it was the only place I could be treated with bupe. I ask for people to sign this petition to fight for the rights and have the bill amended to include people with a allergy to Narcan. These patients such as myself shouldn't lose access to this medication overnight. Thank you all for your time and here is the link to the petition.

https://www.change.org/p/virginia-general-assembly-virginia-buprenorphine-treatment

Thank you all for your time.

Any one that has been in treatment, or is trying to get treatment any signatures will help. It's for a good cause, I have tried posting on other recovery sites but bluelight is by far the biggest site I know of. Most of the other forums get 1 view in a day, so anyone that can relate to this post please help support these patients such as myself in Virginia. Thank everyone that does sign ahead of time, it has hit 5 signatures which now makes it a public petition, so the more the merrier.

Well you certainly shouldn't come of bupe overnight. Bad enough gradually, I speak from experience. Sorry to hear that unryl

Why is it restricted in the first place, because of abuse potential? It doesn't make much sense seeing as methadone is the most abusable.

Thanks man that means a lot, well it use to not have many restrictions in Virginia but still doctors wouldn't write it because of the abuse potential. Im sure there is some doctor somewhere here that has wrote it to people but its rare. Yea I originally started at an OTP clinic, and they started a prescription program and I jumped to it instead of having to carry 20 bottles in a lockbox. It was much easier and convenient. The doctor they got in the program seen that I was a patient really trying to get my shit together. He wrote it because I had a documented allergy thats why I started the place anyway. Yea I know methadone is abused way more and is linked to many more deaths than buprenorphine. I know I believe we should be protected from federal disability act because addiction is considered a disability. It is discrimination, I shouldnt have to switch to methadone and if I didnt have this stupid allergy I could get suboxone.

If ya can please sign the petition all it asks is for them to include people that have an allergy. All signatures help, im not fighting this just for me. I don't want to see these peoples lives change that much overnight pretty much.

Last edited:
I am still trying to get signatures. I was hoping some of these forums would help with signatures as I know some people here have first hand knowledge of addiction. If I seen a petition asking for something to that would help patients I would damn sure sign it. This is something we cannot afford to lose, next they will go after other medications and soon you will have to report to a methadone center everyday for your methadone or whatever. Please anyone or admins put this at the top, and help me get some more signatures before monday. I appreciate everyone that has taken the time.

Thanks man that means a lot, well it use to not have many restrictions in Virginia but still doctors wouldn't write it because of the abuse potential. Im sure there is some doctor somewhere here that has wrote it to people but its rare. Yea I originally started at an OTP clinic, and they started a prescription program and I jumped to it instead of having to carry 20 bottles in a lockbox. It was much easier and convenient. The doctor they got in the program seen that I was a patient really trying to get my shit together. He wrote it because I had a documented allergy thats why I started the place anyway. Yea I know methadone is abused way more and is linked to many more deaths than buprenorphine. I know I believe we should be protected from federal disability act because addiction is considered a disability. It is discrimination, I shouldnt have to switch to methadone and if I didnt have this stupid allergy I could get suboxone.

If ya can please sign the petition all it asks is for them to include people that have an allergy. All signatures help, im not fighting this just for me. I don't want to see these peoples lives change that much overnight pretty much.

I know between 15-20 people that are all prescribed subutex. I only know 1 or 2 that get strips and live in Richmond.

That is Richmond, in the area im from its not as common as it it may be there. The place I go if you see the doctor you have to have a documented allergy or its a no go period. If you do the daily program along with the methadone patients like I had to at first you can get it that way here, but it takes 9 months to earn 6 take homes. The petition has gotten a lot of support over the last couple days, and if you want you can let those people know there is someone fight for the right to be treated with that medication.