• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Bupe tapering

You mentioned neurotoxins there. Besides the subs I have to get off of dexedrine as well. Mentally I am tortured. Any ideas on how to ease it?

I've never come off of dexedrine, but I have been on many meth binges that left me completely braindead afterwards. So I'll give you a few tips that I use.

I've read that taking l-tyrosine after stopping can help your body restore and rebuild dopamine. I've tried this at one point and noticed minimal effect, but something about it seemed to help. It wasn't a cure all by any means, but I noticed that once I stopped doing meth and started loading up on l-tyrosine, my mental state seemed to rebound back to normal (before my binge) a little quicker. Taking magnesium or hell, even a multivitamin may be of help, but I think the l-tyrosine, magnesium and possibly b-vitamins are most important.

Do you have any experience with cannabis zagor? Everyone might react differently, but I find having bud is essential when coming off of meth or stim binge. It helps keep me calm and can make activities a little less boring and dull. I believe I've also read somewhere that cannabis can help repair some of the damage done to the brain by stimulants.

The antidepressant Wellbutrin is a cathinone and can help with stimulant cravings. If you're a nicotine user though, it can be uncomfortable as I believe it is an antagonist at nicotine receptors.

I would think meds like modafanil and concerta may be of a help, but are stimulants themselves & not as easy to get prescribed.

Otherwise, for the most part, I would try to grin & bare it. :\ Much easier said than done though, I know. But if you truly want off a stimulant, other than picking up another drug habit, it seems like you are bound to suffer at least a little discomfort. Maybe some other people have better ideas though. |

I also have to recommend eating well and exercise of course. It sounds cliche and the last thing anyone wants to do is work out when they have no motivation or energy, but if you happen to get a wave of energy on a day that you are not taking any dexedrine, try some cardio. Exercise has also been shown to help those with meth/amp induced brain changes and can help rewire your brain back into doing rewarding activities.

I can only imagine what you're going through and how it feels though. Take it slowly and don't stress or blame yourself too much. :) Do you have enough dexedrine to try and taper with that as well? Not sure what the pills look like, but I bet if you can cut your doses as you go down and implement some of the stuff I mentioned above, you'll have a much smoother transition. :) Wish you all the best!

PS I would try coming off the dexedrine BEFORE subs, as I find subs (or any opioid really) can really help with the anhedonia and unmotivated state that coming off stims can cause. I am betting you will be much more comfortable coming off the dexedrine first and then slowly tapering the bupe. Some might say the dexedrine would help after coming off subs too, so I guess it's up to you which one you'd like to get off first, but I'd definitely recommend only getting off one drug at a time. Getting off both at once would feel like a double whammy and may lead right back into needing to use something. Good luck my friend, you got this!

Last edited:
DI88 Thank you very much. I am trying to get off trintellix and rexulti so the nootropics can work better. I also am quitting klonopin but it has no effect on me since I abused it.

I have enough dex in fact I am prescribed 30 mg three times a day but I take 22.5 to 25 mg twice instead. It is the only thing that helps my depression. My brother is quitting it cause he read on pubmed it is a bad neurotoxin. Otherwise I would still stay on it. I don't want brain damage. I already have some brain damage from tobacco. But my depression got out of control after I abused oxycodone.

The hardest thing is keeping calm. Im full of fear that I will get back into depression again. I wouldn't quit those above first but rexulti especially can make nootropics not work. I just wish I could get this fear/anxiety under control.

DI88 Thank you very much. I am trying to get off trintellix and rexulti so the nootropics can work better. I also am quitting klonopin but it has no effect on me since I abused it.

I have enough dex in fact I am prescribed 30 mg three times a day but I take 22.5 to 25 mg twice instead. It is the only thing that helps my depression. My brother is quitting it cause he read on pubmed it is a bad neurotoxin. Otherwise I would still stay on it. I don't want brain damage. I already have some brain damage from tobacco. But my depression got out of control after I abused oxycodone.

The hardest thing is keeping calm. Im full of fear that I will get back into depression again. I wouldn't quit those above first but rexulti especially can make nootropics not work. I just wish I could get this fear/anxiety under control.

You are absolutely welcome. :) Any time.

Is there a reason you are quitting so many of your meds? Is it by choice or? If it truly helps you, there is no shame in continuing on it.

I believe the neurotoxicity issue is only present if abused or used in higher amounts, but I could be wrong about that. Meth (or in this case dexedrine) is pretty potent, so the risk of neurotoxicity is probably greater than say, adderall or ritalin. Concerta was pretty helpful for me, although I was never prescribed it. It was less 'tweaky' than meth or other stims. I'd love to be able to get on it. I've actually read that very very low doses of methamphetamine has neuroprotective properties, but haven't researched this enough myself to say for sure.

I've never used rexulti but I believe it's in the same class as antipsychotics. My biggest worry when it comes to antipsychotic type drugs is the risk of tardive dyskinesia. I already have myoclonic jerks from what I assume is probably some sort of neurological damage done from decades of excessive drug abuse.

Coming off klonopin can result in seizures, especially if using stims during the process. So be weary. One drug at a time is your best bet. ;) Wish you the best of luck! And always remember, there is nothing wrong with needing a medication to make it through your days. I have no idea where I would be without buprenorphine, klonopin and cannnabis right now.

Last edited:
Due to brain damage from tobacco I cannot take weed either. I may try vaper or other forms but I doubt it. Yes rexulti is an antipsychotic. It doesn't help. I am not ashamed taking nothing if it was helping. Last year I had akathisia and boy is that bad. But thank God suboxone rescued me. Today all day I felt in a way I wish I knew how to describe. Some physical symptoms of severe anxiety that include my brain too and my whole body gets numb. Then I came home took 4 mg klonopin and some L-tyrosine and 30 min later Im good. I think it was klonopin still that helped. Very scary experience. But I had it on and off for decades.

The problem is, my friend, I am aging. I turned 40 and not being to enjoy life is really discouraging and frightening. I wish I could descrebe my feelings I had today so I can explain to my shrink or neurologist. How can I treat it if I can't explain it. Very similar to akathisia but more as physical anxiety with severe depersonalization. SIGH

I've been on Subs for 8 years. Saved my life. Trying to taper off and its a challenge. I'm at 2mg right now. Got stuck at 4mg for a while like many have commented on its a strange area.
Does anyone know how to convert sublingual strips into liquid? Now that the strips have gone generic I'm not sure the bupe is equally distributed across the film, and I'm worried that cutting it evenly isn't giving me equal doses. There was a guy on this board years ago who posted a method of dissolving the film in alcohol and using a measured dropper to measure the amounts. This was especially helpful at lower doses. I'm curious if I can add water to the alcohol after dissolving as I don't necessarily want to be putting alcohol under my tongue every morning. Any help would be appreciated as I searched the site but was unable to find anything.

Due to brain damage from tobacco I cannot take weed either. I may try vaper or other forms but I doubt it. Yes rexulti is an antipsychotic. It doesn't help. I am not ashamed taking nothing if it was helping. Last year I had akathisia and boy is that bad. But thank God suboxone rescued me. Today all day I felt in a way I wish I knew how to describe. Some physical symptoms of severe anxiety that include my brain too and my whole body gets numb. Then I came home took 4 mg klonopin and some L-tyrosine and 30 min later Im good. I think it was klonopin still that helped. Very scary experience. But I had it on and off for decades.

The problem is, my friend, I am aging. I turned 40 and not being to enjoy life is really discouraging and frightening. I wish I could descrebe my feelings I had today so I can explain to my shrink or neurologist. How can I treat it if I can't explain it. Very similar to akathisia but more as physical anxiety with severe depersonalization. SIGH

Just out of curiosity, what brain damage have you accumulated from using tobacco? I've been smoking cigarettes since I was about 14, every day and have never once thought of myself as being brain damaged from them, at least not to a significant degree that you would encounter from say, brain damage from meth/inhalants/etc..

I've been on Subs for 8 years. Saved my life. Trying to taper off and its a challenge. I'm at 2mg right now. Got stuck at 4mg for a while like many have commented on its a strange area.
Does anyone know how to convert sublingual strips into liquid? Now that the strips have gone generic I'm not sure the bupe is equally distributed across the film, and I'm worried that cutting it evenly isn't giving me equal doses. There was a guy on this board years ago who posted a method of dissolving the film in alcohol and using a measured dropper to measure the amounts. This was especially helpful at lower doses. I'm curious if I can add water to the alcohol after dissolving as I don't necessarily want to be putting alcohol under my tongue every morning. Any help would be appreciated as I searched the site but was unable to find anything.

Perhaps the thread was pruned? I haven't had the best of luck using the search function to find old threads myself. Some may have been pruned but honestly I just haven't had that much luck with the search function in general but I digress. I don't have a good answer for you sadly enough as I've never had the need to break down the strips. I do recall using a mg scale to weigh out tiny little pieces of the tablets & wondering the same about distribution. I don't recall running into issues with it though. :unsure:

I also take Suboxone in low doses. It's a long story (tl;dr I use bupe as a make do pain reliever at this point & find it works best at low doses) but I haven't noticed an issue with uneven distribution. I have been using the "Dr. Reddy's" generics. Though they seemed a bit weaker than the brand name strips I haven't noticed them to be inconsistently distributed. I use the 8mg strips cut into pieces. I use doses of 500mcg, 750mcg & 1mg. Though the 750 dose can be hard to cut as it's a small piece with an 8 strip. My wife does it for me as I'm shaky & not precise but I digress.

Is this an issue you have encountered personally with the distribution or are you hypothesizing it could be an issue? Either way I just wanted to chime in that in my anecdotal experience I haven't had an issue with the distribution that you speak of. :)