• REAGENT TESTING & DRUG CHECKING Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Featured Link 1 Featured Link 2
  • RT&DC Moderators: arrall

Bullshit - my EzTest got seized by customs!!!!

SpheriCal: oooh right, i get it "4 each of" is probably what they mean, ie there were 4 bottles of amyl. pity there was actually no bottles. write them a letter, demanding to know why exactly they thought that, asking them if they had it chemically analysed, and ask to see the results. be right in their face as much as you can. i just wish customs would actually send us aussies notes, rather than just disappearing the kits into the ether...
ar_gee: where exactly do they sell em? could you please post where to this thread?

well well well...
got this in the mail this morning:
SEIZURE OF DANGEROUS GOODS
During routine inspection of mail by the Australian Customs Service, the attached mail addressed to you was found a kit of E-Z test, which contains corrosive acid.
Corrosive substances are considered "Dangerous Goods" by :-
  • Austalia Post within the domestica mail network,
  • International and Domestic Airnavigation regulation and
  • International Post regulations.
As such, are prohibited for carriage.
the E-Z kit has been seized and is held at this office awaiting destrustion by Australi Post's Security and Investigation Service.
Should you wish to discuss this matter, I can be contacted at the above address or telephone number.
Your Sincerely,
Myha Phan
For Manager,
Melbourne Airmail Transit Centre
I'm about to ring em. I'll let you know how it went.
UPDATE: Well that was a quick phonecall. Myha is a lovely woman who is filling in for her boss, Clem Onezime who is away for 3 weeks. It seems that sending out this letter was was on a list of things to do that Clem left her.
I explained that these kits have been sent out numerous times over the last 6 months at that none have been recieved by me. I also explained that this is the first letter I, or anyone i know of in Australia, have received telling us of the seizure.
It quickly became apparent that Myha didn't know anything and I would have to wait for Clem to get back. So stay tuned...
[ 17 April 2002: Message edited by: johnboy ]

hmm not long after i posted this i got my mail at work and, quelle supris, there was another identical leter. AJ had tried sending it to me here at work, in case it was just my name on a blacklist. Seems that's not the case, as this one didn't even have my name on it.

Hello all,
we checked with US Customs and they told us they were gonna test it for amyl nitrite. When the result is negative they will leave us alone. I would like to ask anyone who has had this happen to them to please petition the seizure.
Hopefully this will end positively...
As for Australia , we have no clue what happend. Some law has changed , apparently due to the 9-11 events. I hope our material safety data sheet will be sufficient in preventing this from happening again.

This from Erowid about legality of testing kits:
There is some question as to the legal status of testing kits in the U.S. Many states include wording in their paraphernalia laws which include anything which "identify, analyze, or test" scheduled substances. This wording _is not_ included in the federal paraphernalia laws. Arguably, the ecstasy testing kits do not fit within this category as they only verifiably test for the _absence_ of MDMA or other controlled substances. (i.e. if a sample does not turn a color, we can be reasonably sure that there is no MDMA present, however if the sample turns black it could mean that mdma is present or it could indicate the presence of another completely unrelated substance).
These kits have been widely available for over a year and we have heard of no legal problems either with their sale or possession. We know this isn't a very satisfactory answer, but the U.S. legal system is often confusing on points like this. As a general rule, if people aren't being prosecuted for it, it's unlikely that _you_ will be.
Because it's not federally illegal, importation should not cause any legal problems, but many people choose to avoid having to deal with customs by order from a vedor on their own continent. We do not currently have any information about the legality of testing kits in countries other than the United States.
Erowid's bit on legality of testing kits
As far as I know, companies outside the US aren't really allowed to send E Kits along the Marquis Reagent lines to the US as it is illegal to send sulphuric acid (on which the Marquis Reagent test is based to the USA. I guess that includes EZ Test (Dutch?) and Green Party Drugs Group UK (who are non-profit and help do active stuff like the upcoming legalise cannabis festival in London). Dancesafe are a US company and can legally handle US test kit shipments. EZ Test and GPDG can legally do the rest of the world - this just on terms of test contents, not paraphernalia issues.
If I can be proven wrong on this, I'd be up for someone correcting the info.
Hypermadge
Green Party Drugs Group

Things may have changed after 9-11
We were always allowed to send EZ Test to (almost) any country in the world based on the so-called "small quantities exception".
That means that we are allowed to send small quantities of hazchem in the mail, incl. sulphuric acid (or whatever was mentioned above).
There are 2 problems right now, US Customs thinking it is amylnitrate and the Australians (apparently) enforcing) new rules/laws.
The US thing will be solved/is being solved. This happened before and it takes a while for them to understand that we are not selling amylnitrate. We would like to ask anyone receiving a Customs letter to APPEAL !
The Australian matter is something else. We are under the impression that some laws have changed. If this is the case, we'll have to think of other ways for Australian distribution.
Hope this helps....
aj

It might have something to do with the fact that an Australian company has started to produce Marquis test kits, as well as a sister kit that can check for PMA, MDA, MDEA etc.
I think their URL is:
www.chemicalsolutions.com.au
Very similar to the EZ tests, including the fact that the Marquis one tends to leak once it's openned, no matter how hard you try to seal it, just like the EZ-test bottle.
Regarding US Customs, I have read anecdotes that foreign travellers entering the US and found in possession of an EZ-Test kit (or similar) have been denied entry (and potentialy prosecuted) on the grounds that the posession of the test kit was evidence that they were intending to break US narcotics laws. Anyhone know anything more about this?

It has nothing to do with ChemSol. They have been producing kits in Australia, under that name and others, for years now.
Never heard of anyone being prosecuted for entering the US with a kit. I'm fairly sure someone would have mentioned it here if they had. Or at the very least emailed EZ Test.

Litle late on this (only 4 months or so)
Usually, within the US, we recommend DanceSafe.org for kits, since we almost never see shipping issues.. same with Canada..
Anything outside of that, we usually say we can try, but they might be better off checking with Ez-test because they have less issues shipping to some countries (since they are based outside of the US)
My .02
-Bry
[ 13 August 2002: Message edited by: BryanDS ]

I know this is over a decade late, but thought I'd post anyway because I'm surprised how many threads there are from peeps in Canada looking for testing kits.

In case it helps some fellow canadian out there avoid customs problems, you can get one from the canadian supplier testkitplus.ca

you are replying to a thread from 2002? From that time on we have changed our packaging to ampoules to be able to ship internationally, no border issues for us @ all...

The ampoules have many advantages over the bottled reagents:
- minimum 3 year shelf life
- no environmental hazards
- increased user friendliness, you do need a plate anymore and it is almost impossible to mess it up.
- no shipping concerns because it is no longer hazmat
- no exposure to toxic chemicals
- you can take them anywhere