• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Bromisovalum

Hammilton

Bluelighter
Another oddball depressant. The only form I'm aware of is this russian junk with it and phenobarbital together with peppermint and hops oil in ethanol.

The FDA says it's an unmarketed controlled substance. I don't see where it's scheduled though. Is it actually?

Oddly, there is decent evidence that it has abuse potential, but it's also pretty toxic, I guess. Does it have GABA-A affinity? I would have guessed it would be similar to valproate, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I think, as with most really old things there won't be good research, but perhaps someone with access to old old journals with have more information.

cid_2447.png

it seems that it has similarities with other bromides. Bromieds are still used in military to treat sexual desire. AFAIk all bromides are sedatives.

That's not a bromide. Bromides aren't used in the military. The only place bromides are approved is in Germany, AFAIK.

Yes, that (referring to the structure) is in fact an organic bromide. Not all Bromides are sedatives. 2C-B and DOB are bromides, but not sedatives. After a while, excess bromide in the body can cause neuropathy (nerve damage) and lethargy (excessive fatigue). But your body can still get rid of it if you give it a break.

Similar to Russian Validol tablets I imagine. Doesn't appear to be any abuse potential for either. No more than Valerian, anyway.

Methyl pentanoate, commonly known as methyl valerate, is the methyl ester of pentanoic acid (valeric acid) with a fruity odor. It is marketed under the trade name Validol as a sedative. It is also used in the manufacture of plastics and as an insecticide.

Methyl pentanoate is commonly used in fragrances, beauty care, soap, laundry detergents at levels of 0.1 - 1%. In a very pure form (greater than 99.5%) it is used as a plasticizer in plastics.

Validol has a moderate vascular dilatative action and sedative properties and is commonly used as a medication in Eastern Europe as a treatment against nausea, mild heart disorders (cardalgia), motion sickness (including seasickness), nervousness and heartaches.

Yes, that (referring to the structure) is in fact an organic bromide. Not all Bromides are sedatives. 2C-B and DOB are bromides, but not sedatives. After a while, excess bromide in the body can cause neuropathy (nerve damage) and lethargy (excessive fatigue). But your body can still get rid of it if you give it a break.

Please refrain from talking out of your rear end.

2C-B and DOB are NOT "Bromides".

I never understood how people give "advice" about shit that they seem to have absolutely no idea about.

I don't know enough French to hold a good conversation. I don't go around teaching it!

Please refrain from talking out of your rear end.

2C-B and DOB are NOT "Bromides".

I never understood how people give "advice" about shit that they seem to have absolutely no idea about.

I don't know enough French to hold a good conversation. I don't go around teaching it!

Well, based on what he said, he hardly deserves the response he got. He basically just said that this compound could be considered a bromide, but that this had nothing to do with it's activity (in the sense that the bromine atom on it made it's function similar to KBr and relatives).

That's entirely true, but I'm not entirely sure of the definition of a bromide. It generally refers to binary bromide salts like NaBr, specifically those used as antiepileptics. However, there are non-binary compounds that are also included, like Methyl bromide, aka bromomethane.

Perhaps someone can chime in here, but using what I believe is the correct terminology, this would be called an organobromine, not an organobromide, but it seems awfully pedantic to freak out about this, especially when the context was clear.

two_cents_0.jpg

its an amide residue of urea. compound looks dodge.

In its closest interpretation, "bromides" are ionic (!) compounds with consist at least of one Br- ion. That rule counts for organic compounds, too, which would exclude the depicted compound from being called a 'bromide'. But nonetheless are these commonly called in this fashion, against IUPAC-recommendation though.

It is absolutely pointless to state that "all bromides are sedatives", because one single substituent does not decide solely about the activity of a substance. See for non-sedative organic bromo-containing compounds: Bromhexine or Ambroxol. LabratNW already mentioned some of the psychedelic organic 'bromides', like 2C-B or DOB (or bromoDragonFly etc.)...

Anyone here with constructive comments to Hammiltons opening post? Or just some more half-baked chemistry bosh? :\

- Murphy

What the hell are you guys babbling about?! Stick to the subject please....

Has anyone tried Bromisovalum? And if so how was it? damn its that fuckin simple, why the fuck are you all talking about bromides? the subject is Bromisovalum and not once has it been mentioned sense the 1st post. Lets stay on topic guys, thanks :)

ok so i searched for "Bromisovalum" all over the net and NOTHING comes up but this thread and one on drugs.com... When you wikipedia bromisovalum nothing pops up but it suggests: Bromisoval; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromisoval

So is this Bromisovalum just a mis-type? brand name? and whats the deal with Bromisoval?

Thanks

Ok n/m it seems like Bromisoval is just another name for it and the internet says its "Chronic use of bromisoval has been associated with bromine poisoning." So unless your taking it everyday and a lot of it, i think it would be safe seeing that its sold OTC in Asia. I win thanks. :)

In Finland, there was a product called Hypnox (cancelled in 1983), that contained pentobarbital, promazine and bromisoval. Just as a curiosity. ;)

The hypno part makes me think it was meant for the treatment of insomnia.

Anything that causes your brain to rot away in your head must be a really good one.

J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1985 April; 48 (4): 342–347.
Cerebellar atrophy due to chronic bromisovalum abuse demonstrated by computed tomography.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1028299/

Red flags and sirens are going off by now. Also, chemically speaking, this drug kind of reminds me of meprobamate.

Bromisoval is an ureide sedative... There are also other ureides like capuride ((2-ethyl-3-methylvaleryl)urea) that don't have a bromine atom in their structure and should be safer to use. Capuride was found to be as affective as barbiturates as a preoperative anxiolytic and hypnotic in this article: http://www.anesthesia-analgesia.org/content/49/6/862.full.pdf .

I can't find any info about the mechanism of action of ureides... They seem to be open-chain analogs of barbiturates, so they might bind to the same site on GABA-A receptor.

Sorry for double posting, but I found some interesting info about alkyl/arylureas as sedatives. Apparently even such simple compounds as tert-butylurea and phenylurea act as barbiturate-like CNS depressants...

t-butylurea: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1267534
phenylurea: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/578440

Even the herbicide isoproturon (which is a phenylurea derivative) was found to have sedative-hypnotic on mice: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8112777
The study reveals that isoproturon has distinct inhibitory effect on central motor performance and sedative action on CNS.

Its probably not a good idea to ingest isoproturon or other phenylureas though, they are metabolized to aniline derivatives that cause methemoglobinemia...

I wonder if those other simple alkylureas have any toxic effect in addition to being depressants... The similar simple sedative/anesthetic compound urethane (ethyl carbamate) is a known carcinogen.

I would hate for another compound I started a thread about years ago to appear as an RC, but that seems to be the case. that said, don't buy it. I was interested in the SAR, not this drug itself as a psychoactive. there are much, much better old school depressants that should be looked at before this one.

With regard to Polymath's posts (thanks for posting something interesting!), I think it is probably accurate to consider these as open chain analogues of barbiturates, and given the flexible conformation, they should be able to bind in the same site.

Urethane is a known sedative, of course, but that is a carbamate, not a ureide, so it doesn't exactly belong here.

I didn't know about isoproturon, but I wouldn't touch a phenyl urea with a ten foot pole. Regardless of causing methemoglubinemia I would be concerned about their potential to be "secret" cholinergics like Rivastigmine or neostigmine. I assume isoproturon has its deadly effects through a cholinergic mechanism, not a gabaminergic one.

good night! gotta get some sleep now. I've got more to say later.

Bringing back the dead on bromisoval or bromoisovalerianylureum as it was probably also called. It was prescribed in the netherlands a long long time ago. Maybe this thread of mine is of any interest to anyone on this subject.
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/archive/index.php/t-467489.html

ingredients:
o-oxy-benzomidum
acetyl-p-phanethtidiaum
1.3.7 trimethylxanthinum
1.phenyl 2.methylaminopropanoli
bromoisovalerianylureum

Nourytien brand name or product name

to be taken 1 or 2 tablets