• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Britain in a legal high ‘race with chemists’ in china and india

foolsgold

Bluelighter
Written by Legal Highs UK on May 1, 2014. Posted in Drugs & Law, Legal Highs, Psychoactive Substances, Research Chemicals

old story i know but ?
legal-highs-baker-norman.jpg

Norman Baker, Home Office minister has warned that scientists in China and India are producing new legal highs on a weekly basis to be sold in UK.

Mr Baker said that EU law-makers are not able to cope with the “fast moving scene” around the mind altering substances being sold on the internet.

Some of the legal drugs being sold on UK streets and on the internet can be quite dangerous and some importers are putting users lives at risk.

Deaths from the use of so called “legal highs” has risen in the past few years, partly due to the “cat and mouse” game between legal high dealers and the government.

Law makers are struggling to keep up with the chemists designing brand new and un-tested chemical compounds to skirt constantly changing drug laws in the UK and across Europe.

Mr Baker said that it is unhelpful to describe the drugs as “legal highs” – possibly because many are being sold by conventional drug dealers and not head shops as traditionally seen in the UK.

“We’re in a race against the chemists of new substances being produced almost on a weekly basis in places like China and India.

“They then come in here and are inaccurately and unhelpfully called legal highs – some of them are actually illegal. They are certainly not necessarily safe and the word legal implies that they are safe. And people are consuming them and last year I think it was 68 people died, according to coroners reports, from the ingestion of these substances.”

“My objective…is to minimise the harm from these substances to the public at large,” Mr Baker said.

Mr Baker said that he will defy an attempt by the European Union to regulate “legal highs”, stating that EU law makers are unable to cope with the “fast moving scene”.

Some are calling for better education and more regulation around the sale of synthetic drugs in the UK, a similar approach to that of New Zealand where manufacturers and importers must prove that their products are “low risk” before they are sold in retail shops and online, but some experts are suggesting that the drug trade of “legal highs” will simply go under ground and will be much harder for the government to track.

“Right now I think the best solution is to educate the public and have the government open certain channels for lower risk substances such as the original Mephedrone” one legal highs user said, “it’s better to have an online dictionary of sorts that users and doctors alike can use to identify the effects before use or in an emergency department.”

Theresa May the Home Secretary authorised temporary bans on 6-apb and NBOMe in June.

They could ban all psychoactive substances, with socially accepted exceptions, at a stroke just by writing the law as such. That's the sad reality. I have no doubt that is exactly where we are headed. Its more a case of "when" than "if".

Novel substances would still have a place because they are not easily detected however the emphasis of users will switch to purchasing good quality illegal drugs via the darknet. That seems to be the next emerging market. That's where I see things going anyway.

Every time they ban a new drug, a lesser known, more dangerous replacement pops up. It doesn't matter what they ban, unless they shut down the internet the RC market is going nowhere.