• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Bringing Opiate Tolerance Down?

Bloodborne1

Bluelighter
I couldn?t find a similar topic surprisingly by using the search bar. But as the title states, what are some ways (little or small) to bring opiate tolerance down? I know obviously taking a break from them will help, but what are other ways? No matter how petty or insignificant it may seem, I would like to know. Thank you

It's not going to drop as long as you're using, you can use less and it'll increase slower but that's the best you'll get. If i remember correctly i believe i heard that flood doses of ibogaine reset the opiate receptors but you'd be insane to do massive ibogaine doses every time you want to drop tolerance. Plus ibogaine is very hard on the body.

NMDA antagonists might be helpful, iirc we have a thread about it over at Other Drugs but I can't find it right now.

I haven't found the thread but a quick literature check brought this up:
RATIONALE:
N-Methyl-D: -aspartate (NMDA) receptors have an important role in different forms of behavioral and neural plasticity. Evidence suggests that these receptors may also be involved in plasticity arising from long-term treatment with different drugs of abuse, including tolerance, sensitization, and physical dependence. There is abundant evidence demonstrating that NMDA receptors are involved in tolerance to opiate-induced antinociception; however, the role of these receptors in sensitization to the locomotor effects of opiates is more controversial.

OBJECTIVE:
The ability of NMDA receptor antagonists to modify the development of sensitization to the locomotor stimulant effect of three different opiates was examined. In selected studies, the ability of the antagonists to modify tolerance to the antinociceptive effects of the opiates was also examined.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:
Adult male Sprague-Dawley rats were used to assess the effects of NMDA receptor antagonists (MK-801, memantine or LY235959) on tolerance and sensitization to three opiates: morphine, methadone, or buprenorphine. It was predicted that low, selective doses of the antagonists would inhibit the development of opiate tolerance and sensitization.

RESULTS:
Consistent with our predictions, the noncompetitive NMDA receptor antagonists MK-801 and memantine and the competitive NMDA receptor antagonist LY235959 inhibited the development of sensitization to the locomotor stimulant effect of morphine. Additionally, MK-801 inhibited the development of tolerance and sensitization to methadone and buprenorphine in a similar manner.

CONCLUSIONS:
The results, together with previous research, suggest that NMDA receptors are broadly involved in opiate-induced plasticity, including the development of opiate tolerance and sensitization.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17994223

Some people apparently used dxm to reduce tolerance I personally don't like dxm though so im not sure how it works but it might be worth looking into for you good luck friend.

what about naltexone? few reports i read helped with tolerance

Naltrexone will block opioid receptors and put you in withdrawal rapidly until it wears off.

The only way to reliably lower tolerance is to do less opioids. Take lower doses, do it less frequently, switch to a weaker opioid, switch to a less "peaky" route like IM imjection", oral dosing, or plugging, and stop chasing a "rush" and the "high". Do enough to be out of w/d but not so.much you nod off.

Quit is really the only thing that changed it for me.

It will drop, but it will never return to baseline or even close in my experience.

I remember the days of 2-3 Vicodin’s getting me high as a kite, now even with 6 months sober I can still do a 50-100 mg line of heroin and get high, but the brain never completely restores in my experience

I’ve had 5+ years of clean time at a time and I was back to high doses within very few uses. Opiate receptors are quite unforgiving, it seems. However, you can definitely lower your tolerance by taking time off. Better than nothing.

thanks
so the tapper continues!!
Boy is it Not fun at all?
I get in to opioids in my late 50s , just fuckin Great,
but also there is a world of shit happening in my life in my late 50s
So it is What it is
or
It would be Different
Happy Easter to All ???

You gotta stop using opioids for a while. That's the only way IMO. Your body needs to adjust to not having them.

A metaphor I've long used for hard drugs, but especially opioids, is that they're basically like buying emotions on credit.

You can have more of the emotion of feeling good now, but eventually you gotta pay it back. Withdrawal is paying back the positive emotions and feelings you bought on credit. And so now you feel much much worse.

Obviously it's not literal, but I think it's a good metaphor. You gotta pay back your debt, then you can get more credit. :)

But yeah, in my experience you can't have the good feelings of opioids without also having shit like withdrawal. If you don't take the withdrawal, the opioids stop feeling as good. It seems like the amount of good and bad feelings in life always has to balance out. You can feel average all the time, or you can feel awesome some of the time and terrible some of the time. But you can't always feel awesome. There's no way around it.

Use Ketamine for a week. It's an NMDA antagonist which somehow brings your opioid tolerence down.

ketamine isnt the only NMDA antagonist. people should do some research on tons of other NMDA antagonists out there. while most are not quite potent, in a mixture and high prolonged doses, it will work as ketamine or even better.

this is a good read and i highly recommend it to you guys;

highlight: 3) Ultra-low dose naltrexone - for some unknown reason an opioid antagonist in vanishingly small doses seems to have mu-opioid receptor up-regulating effects

so stop crying and saying opiate tolerance can only be reversed by stopping altogether

I don't understand why you have to be a dick about it, but good point, there are drugs that can help reverse opioid tolerance. DXM is another one. That being said, however, any experience becomes routine and not as special if you do it often and the only cure for that is not doing it for a while.

Or use Loperamide but it will have to be at high doses which could be dangerous for some ppl. I myself use it when I'm withdrawing from Oxycodone and it works a treat. 40mg twice a day normally does it for me.

Personally I've never used Ketamine or any NMDA antagonist for that matter. If your serious about it and you want to try lets say Ketamine then you might have problems getting it. The only place I can think of is a dark net market.

as i said, ketamine isnt the only NMDA antagonist out there. it will be nice if people try harder and ill try to be nicer too.

about loperamide, i tried it for withdrawal and diarrhea high dose with no effect. it must be working for few but not all i guess. i mean the crap is prescribed specifically for diarrhea for which it didnt help at all for me. i had to get suboxone, and not shit for almost a week, dear lord

ketamine isnt the only NMDA antagonist. people should do some research on tons of other NMDA antagonists out there. while most are not quite potent, in a mixture and high prolonged doses, it will work as ketamine or even better.

this is a good read and i highly recommend it to you guys;

highlight: 3) Ultra-low dose naltrexone - for some unknown reason an opioid antagonist in vanishingly small doses seems to have mu-opioid receptor up-regulating effects

so stop crying and saying opiate tolerance can only be reversed by stopping altogether

Lol? You serious? Have you ever even done opiates?

Go catch an IV heroin habit and let me know how “micro doses of naltrexone” works out for you, I’m sure you’ll come back crying after you accidentally send yourself into PWD.