• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Breaking Bad Blue

I think shake n'bake is strictly racemic. We used batteries and pseudo. Now P2P is definitely hard to get because it's only a couple of steps, hard to obtain chemicals etc. Anyway you still get the same colors and it depends on the temperature of the end product. This is what a cook told me. He made me 10 grams from over-the-counter pseudo-ephedrine and new batteries my friend gave him :)

It's very easy to make methamphetamine in the United States, but it can get costly if you don't know what you're doing

The end product was all right, but I think I prefer Mexican methamphetamine (D-methamphetamine). The racemic is just so moreish and you go through it like nothing almost

I wish i had P2P to compare ;) Anyway the end product we had was white but the bottom of the barrel was purple. He made it in his bathtub. I used that to smoke and it was exatcly the same as the top part

-G

Last edited:
What's wrong

EDIT: Oh shit, you want me to list the chemicals used? There aren't that many, but it's like 5 different things. I probably can't name them here without getting a warning so forget that ;)

Last edited:
Any methamphetamine produced using pseudoephedrine as a precursor will neccesarily be D-methamphetamine, IIRC it's typical to see 95% D and 5% L in commercial pseudo (and by extension most meth).

I would think that "shake and bake" (modified Birch reduction) would produce either unreacted pseudoephedrine (what I would expect if the reaction does not go to completion) or overrreduction to a cyclohexadiene, i.e. the "bastard cousin" of D-meth and D-propylhexidrine, if the rxn goes too far.

Not to mention, it's recklessly stupid to make drugs by shaking flammable & pyrophoric materials together in a fucking POP BOTTLE. Maybe if you did it in glass apparatus, with proper protection from the air via a nitrogen/argon blanket, magnetic or mechanical stirring, and a blast shield to protect you, it would be safer, but that is a degree of investment and forethought most pop bottle meth cooks lack I suppose.

Amphetamine synthesis from phenyl-2-propanone in the classical manner (either Leuckart rxn if you're oldschool or reductive amination) will produce racemic product which must be resolved in an extra step using something like tartaric or maleic acid. In theory the reductive amination can be done with chiral catalysis (that is, the transformation of phenyl-2-propanimine to phenyl-2-propanamine via addition of H2 to one face of the molecule, selectively) - this is presumably what Walter White did in Breaking Bad to produce high-purity D-meth - but I'm not sure there are any recorded instances of people ACTUALLY doing that in a clandestine manner, as the catalysts are relatively fancy, expensive, and are of questionable industrial utility until several major questions are answered (do they reliably produce the same results over time and between batches/sources? how do you recover and reuse them? do the catalysts degrade or get poisoned by reaction (by)products? etc)

Last edited:
I would *much* rather do the shake and bake method in a plastic bottle than a glass one - that way the shrapnel is less dangerous if it blows up. My background is chemical engineering (even though I never actually worked in the field - nor have I ever cooked meth) - and like.... cooking meth is basically a chemical engineering prob;em. Making meth from pfed in a lab is easy - the the challenge is in making the process as cheap as possible, with the most readily available materials.... clandestine drug synth is basically "hobby chemical engineering"... Shake and bake is really sort of a miracle of chemical engineering - they've found a way to run a birch reduction - normally run in cryogenic anhydrous ammonia - and found a way to make it happen in a mush of common household chemicals, contained within low cost soda bottles. I've heard that you don't even need to extract the pfed from the pills, just crush em an throw em in. There is a real beauty to stripping an awkward laboratory process down to to something that can be run with just household chemicals that are so basic they're pretty much unbanable (OFC, pseudo could be banned - except the "phenylephrine" doesn;t work as a decongestant (hence why pfed is still available as a decongestant, you just have to sign for it and shit - they don't have any other non-prescription decongestants, and making a basic decongestant

As an aside, I would be *very* curious to know whether unreacted pfed or the overreacted products you mentioned are actually found in street meth. Anyone got any data?

I was just going to add one last thing. The timing is important or rather is the most important factor in this process. When things blow up it´s because of improper technique. Now some might say that's what makes said cooking method dangerous, but i'd rather call it risky

If it weren't food coloring, which I gather is likely, would it stay blue once in solution? My thought is it would be the other way around. Such as like when white heroin is in water, it turns yellow

I would *much* rather do the shake and bake method in a plastic bottle than a glass one - that way the shrapnel is less dangerous if it blows up.

I'm saying nix the sealed vessel and do it in open glassware so, at best, you get flames shooting out rather than an explosion. But then again, I don't cook meth :)