• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

brain swelling sensation - serious question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have these sensations as well, but I always attributed them to headaches which are caused by dehydration. I had seen in numerous places that dehydration, while on a pill, causes 'tightening' feelings located in the head. Is this the same thing, or something different altogether?

man! I've been having these strange "brain swelling" sensations too...I've had mine since last july, before i ever did X. I've never asked a doctor about it and I have NO idea what it could be. So I'd also like to know if the med. worked. I've always just described them as feeling like my brain was pushing out from my head...almost like if I touched the area it should be sticking out! I'm very curious as to what exactly is going on and what I can do to help this...I have a little difficulting thinking mine are migranes b/c there is no pain assosiated with it that I can think of. Could I still have what vertigo has....those migranes of some sort?

i've been getting the same thing with e lately. Also I used to be a big pot smoker but when i smoke now , i get that pressure thing in my brain. i don't know the cause but i think its your brain saying its had enough for a while

Yeah, maybe so. But there should be something that can be done about it, especially when you've been clean for awhile.

I have had this sensation twice, once with a bad headache only on the LEFT side of my head, and once with no headache which left quickly. Also have had a couple friends feel this.
The time I had the headache and the times my friends felt the pressure we were on Yellow Butterflies and Yellow Gators if it matters, both strong pills. The headache-less time I was on an RN.
It totally scared me the first time, which was Halloween. My head was aching, the pressure was bad, and I felt cracked out and like I wanted to puke for about a good 5 hrs, then just cracked out and wired for another 3 hrs. Def. a bad roll. I was not dehydrated.
The main reason I think it happened to me was sinus. My left side of my sinuses as well as my left ear get sinus infections pretty often, and I also get migraines but only usually on the left side of my head. I think I was having sinus issues at the time and I just FELT the pressure more, not that there really WAS more pressure.
I might be wrong, but I seemed to get the pressue feeling only when I had an infected or irritated sinus.

I can't for the life of me think of anything -- raverdoc's speculations were interesting, but I would be surprised if it were actual swelling of the brain, as so many people seem to have experienced it.
My best guess would be that it is some sort of psychosomatic/mental phenomenon that's arising becausing of the way E alters your brain -- perhaps it's doing something strange to the part of your brain that handles the self-image of your head. (Ever had your eyes closed and had the sensation some part of your body was much larger/smaller than it really was? It sounds a lot like that sort of thing.) But honestly, I can't truly say. Maybe it's a side effect more common with PMA or some other common adulterant.
Wish I knew more, sorry!

Aw. I just wish the guy who made the post in the first place would let us know his results of the meds! Oh wellz.

Nobody has mentioned DXM as a possibility. What he described sounds exactly like my unpleasent DXM trip. Did you feel like you were walking on marshmellows?

one thing that might make people feel better is the fact that almost everyone who posted claimed to experience this from one thing or another.
i would say based on that , there is prolly not much to worry about.

Sorry to rehash an old thread, but I think it's extremely important that an accurate answer to this question be given.

The brain swelling you experiencing is actually mild cerebral edema. More severe cases can be diagnosed by closing your nose and blowing outwards. Severe pain, time for ER.

Serotonin agonists can often increase AVP secretion (antidiuretic hormone) which induces mild hyponatremia. This is known to cause cerebral swelling.

So many drugs cause AVP release it is ridiculous. What I use to combat this is both a serotonin antagonist and anticholinergic: cyproheptadine. Benadryl can be used in a pinch... I recommend avoiding E in its entirety, as this can be a scary phenomena.

The only strictly home remedy for this I can think of for this is a h20 of Etoh mixed with salt. Avoid nicotine usage. L-Lysine should decrease arginine release, but in vivo hasn't really been proven.

Your best bet is to avoid any concurrent drug usage that potentiates AVP secretion, which is pretty much anything. Current treatments for AVP intoxication are vaptans and demeclocycline, prohibitively expensive.

I hope this helps anyone on here or Googling "Brain Swelling" about the sensation they are experiencing.

Not your doctor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.