TDS Brain scans reveal how badly emotional abuse damages kids

fucking sick fucks. who the fuck abuses a child ?
Other child like in my case. Immigrant children bullied me for being white and then I was bullied for stuttering. Grouped up kids can do some serious harm if they have had it rough.

I was emotionally abused by my own family, only to feed enormous egos that need to eat children's souls to live

I was never a bullier spontaneously, but I have a very strong personality and I am very communicative. In this sense, those who have bullied me ended up being bullied by me, except my mother... the biggest bullier.

They may end up with attachment issues, in which they become overly reliant or dependent on one person, or they may end up socially isolated later in life.

Several studies have found that kids who experience emotional distress from a young age have problems with emotions and memory.

Yup. I was thankfully never physically abused but the mental/emotional part was quite bad.

Other child like in my case. Immigrant children bullied me for being white and then I was bullied for stuttering. Grouped up kids can do some serious harm if they have had it rough.
iceland is still pretty white.
shhh just don't tell anyone though bc greenland is hotter 😵

Brain scans reveal how badly emotional abuse damages kids

wow, if we could have only known about this as a kid and tried to avoid it.
can it even be fixed. no pun.
jeeezus.
if only we could teach children to say no ! to abuse.
but i think they are learning.

It has been known at least from late 90s and the "Adverse Childhood Experiences Study". But yeah, maybe in 20 years we will be able to look into mirror and the science and apply those findings in parenting, education, health services and social services. onward.

. . . . And this. 👍🏼

I was raised in a house with no love. My mom took off and even before she did she always made sure i knew that I wasn't wanted. I can't remember being held as a kid, i only had my dad and he was drunk or out of the city. My grandmother helped but very cold women. It do impact your life.
I wasn't abused though, just forgotten about.
As a result I am cold. I don't trust people and if i am scared or lonely I don't reach out to anyone. I never wanted kids because I hated my childhood and thought feeling like that was normal to all kids but it's not.
I can't form healthy relationships and my best guess as to why would be my childhood

My girlfriend's dad has borderline personality disorder and was intense controlling and emotionally manipulative and abusive (not physically or sexually, but emotionally). It has dramatically impacted every area of her life and personality, the more I've gotten to know her the more I see it. She doesn't believe she has any power over her own life. She thinks it's too late for her. She is very quiet, shy, withdrawn, and lets people walk all over her. She also has some very physiological stress responses (such as smells causing her emotional distress and extreme sensitivity to smell).

I was raised in a house with no love. My mom took off and even before she did she always made sure i knew that I wasn't wanted. I can't remember being held as a kid, i only had my dad and he was drunk or out of the city. My grandmother helped but very cold women. It do impact your life.
I wasn't abused though, just forgotten about.
As a result I am cold. I don't trust people and if i am scared or lonely I don't reach out to anyone. I never wanted kids because I hated my childhood and thought feeling like that was normal to all kids but it's not.
I can't form healthy relationships and my best guess as to why would be my childhood
Neglect of a child (especially)/person can be one of the most harmful abuses - it being more nebulous, to both understand an explain can mean that it is so much harder to heal. Am sorry, Lucy. Yet, here you are - strong, living, fighting for you. :)
For all the isolation it brings, there will be many individuals, who either have vestiges of this experience or, have gone through the same. You keep telling your narrative. You dont ever have to be tethered to it, if you live your life resolving it. <3

My girlfriend's dad has borderline personality disorder and was intense controlling and emotionally manipulative and abusive (not physically or sexually, but emotionally). It has dramatically impacted every area of her life and personality, the more I've gotten to know her the more I see it. She doesn't believe she has any power over her own life. She thinks it's too late for her. She is very quiet, shy, withdrawn, and lets people walk all over her. She also has some very physiological stress responses (such as smells causing her emotional distress and extreme sensitivity to smell).

Tough to be in a relationship with someone who's ego is damaged and not in alignment with your experience. Hope you look after yourself and her and guide her toward empowering herself and not feed her dependence or your, co-dependence. <3