• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Booze - why have i started this?

FatBellyWhipSlay

Bluelighter
So to cut a long story short i have weened myself of buprenorhpine, its about day 18 now

but i have found myself drinking about 500ml of vodka a day, i still eat and sleep regularly but im scared now about alcohol withdrawals

if i just stop like now will i be at risk of seizures etc ? not sure why i have done this to myself, i seem to always need to take something in my life everyday and its gotta stop, like NOW

so angry with myself

firstly, I advise you to immediately let your doctor know about your situation and stop drinking as quickly as possible under their supervision/guidance. I tried to research how long it takes to become physically dependent on alcohol, but got mixed answers. however, it most likely takes several weeks to a few months of very heavy consistent drinking. sorry, I’m not really sure how strong vodka is and I’m not familiar with alcohol, given that I am Muslim and have never drank or had it in my household. therefore, I can’t speak from experience so please forgive me if any information I give is inaccurate. to be honest, it’s completely natural that you are seeking out other substances whether it be to negate opioid physical withdrawal symptoms or to address the depression/reward deficiency that can occur when you quit any addictive drug. depending on your reasoning, my advice is as follows:
If you are drinking to self medicate physical withdrawals or sleep issues, you might be better off very temporarily using something like clonidine as this could help you ride out the withdrawal.
If it is psychological factors like poor mood and Constant anxiety, you may want to use something like baclofen or pregabalin, but again, only on a short-term basis. nevertheless, I would much prefer you tried traditional methods like reaching out to others, healthy diet and exercise and good sleep hygiene a try first. in most cases, the less pharmaceuticals in your body, The quicker your recovery should be and you avoid the risk of addiction/dependence on substances you intended to help you.
All of this should be done in consultation with your doctor/medical professional as I have no medical qualifications whatsoever.

Never feel angry with yourself or hate who you are. addiction is a disease with a strong biological basis so your urges to seek out relief from substances doesn’t mean you are a bad person at all. however, understanding that your cravings are biological but that they can be battled and defeated with A positive mindset and the right environmental changes means you are more than capable of living the happy/healthy life you want.

Yeah if that’s the case I imagine they can slash their amount in half or a quarter to start and do that for a week, then like get off. I don’t think you’re getting delirium or seizures for less than 3 weeks of alc even if it’s a fifth. But maybe 1-2 week taper to be safe.

Good advice, thanks for that. then again, I still advise they contact their doctor in case anything goes wrong. it may be that they don’t need to taper at all or that they could be assisted by Low doses ofmedication like Baclofen, pregabalin or clonidine. The quicker alcohol is out of the system, the better. I know this sounds a bit controversial, but I’d rather they get back on buprenorphine rather than getting addicted to anything which acts on the GABA system. from what I’ve heard, opioid withdrawal pales in comparison to the potentially dreadful withdrawal effects of hypnotic sedatives.

My experience with Alcohol Detox was not very to speak home about. So in my case I did got a way too rapid taper (did learn to do nothing as there was no program ). 2 1/2 weeks later and I was out.

Keep falling back substantce to substance. What is imo really needed is an training handling the reason behind the drinking. 15 januauari mine start's ' the title is roughly translated 'past and further' by Ethy Dorrepaal and Kathleen Thomaes which will take me half a year weekly. And you have to be sober. All the time, technically.

Your just like me, started off recreative and becoming selmedicating?

So to cut a long story short i have weened myself of buprenorhpine, its about day 18 now

but i have found myself drinking about 500ml of vodka a day, i still eat and sleep regularly but im scared now about alcohol withdrawals

if i just stop like now will i be at risk of seizures etc ? not sure why i have done this to myself, i seem to always need to take something in my life everyday and its gotta stop, like NOW

so angry with myself
How much were you drinking while on bupe? How long you were on bupe? Dose? Had you previously experienced WDs from booze, benzos, ghb or similar? How's your tolerance to booze? Any other medication?

The way I see it, instead of eating up yourself think of it as celebration cuz you stopped bupe. Tho don't celebrate for too long and strong! You're still not in the red zone but no one can know precisely when you'll get in it.

Do not beat yourself up buddy. It's not as if you've acted with malice. These things happen. You're not the first person to go down this road and you won't be the last.

So if I understand correctly, you've been consuming 500ml of liquor for 18 days? I'm assuming it's standard 80 proof.

For someone who has not been drinking previously, it would be very unlikely for you to have a serious complication. You'll likely experience a couple of days of rebound anxiety, insomnia etc. but epileptic stuff generally is going to take a few months of serious drinking.

The hardest part will be dealing with cravings. You're gonna want to drink and nobody is stopping you.

so angry with myself
In my "personal" experience's Alcohol is every Addict's last drug why? it's available on every street Corner gives you tons of liquid confidence but the Withdrawal's (I don't mean to scare you) can be horrid and sometimes so bad it can cause death basically like a bad Benzo habit. Seek medical help if withdrawal's do occur it's nothing to play with. I totally understand stopping the addictions but like I said it's always available and you can buy as much as you need when times get tough take it easy on your liver too!