• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Bongs: fresh water vs still water vs swamp water

I change after every session, or at least after each day of use. I used to be a bit more lax with this policy, but since investing in some higher end glass I find regular changes mean I have to clean it less often.

From a harm reduction point of view I think it is better to change the water regularly, I would be surprised if some nasty bacteria did not grow in bong water after a few days. I once cleaned a dirty ass bong that a friend kept, even though the bong was black as fuck, there was a milky and cloudy substance in the water that I have a strong inclination was some kind of bacteria or fungus. That shit was fucking horrible to look at, the idea of inhaling smoke that passed through it on the regular is not particularly pleasant.

I think being lazy with changing water and generally keeping a clean bong is one of the biggest causes of most bong smokers seeming to have pretty poor respiratory health. You have to figure that old bong water becomes pretty inefficient at filtering out the carcinogens it otherwise would, at a certain point it would have to become saturated and no more carcinogens would be soluble in it.

I usually change the water before I hit the bong session. It's just much better and doesn't choke much.

Generally I will change my bong water as often as I remember to, which is about every 1 or 2 uses if I cant empty it after I use it. When I empty it I splash some rubbing alcohol in it and swirl it around to sterilize it at bit. It keeps the smoke and stuff fresh and easy to inhale and is generally good practice.

Likewise; although instead of using ISO or another sterilizing solvent; I've mainly been using boiling hot water every day or 2. I use the hot water for the first session after cleaning it. I reccomend trying it for anyone who hasn't. You might like it, you might not. but I find that the steam helps make the smoke easier to hit. More so than cold water. Only try it if your bong is over 8" tall or let the water cool a little first. Too close to the water and your face may burn from the steam.

I find the more marijuana I consume, the more I am trying to find ways to make the harm on my lungs as minimal as possible.

EDIT: I just cleaned mine out a second ago and used hot water like I mentioned.
Unbelievably tasty hit. :)

Last edited:
For my flower pieces I usually fill it up once for the day, smoke, and the next day or next time I go to smoke flowers that shit gets changed. You shouldn't taste any hints of weed or bong water whenever you take a dry pull IMO and you should be able to stick your nose in and take a huge whiff and get virtually no smell. Glass etiquette!

Oil rigs are much different, and the water stays clear and won't smell even if you don't change it for a few weeks(which yeah that doesn't necessarily mean it's clean, but it's not ratchet). Sure there's going to be bits of golden claim stuck to the glass, but it's not like it mixes with water to create some foul smelling, yellow / brown piss looking water that flowers do.

I think it depends how much of a weed snob you are, and how important getting the full flavor is to you.

This is probably going to sound pretty overboard, but I know people who have completely seperate rigs, nails, and carb caps for all their different hashes. The BHO rig goes with the BHO nail and cap. The Fullmelt rig goes with the fullmelt nail and cap and they never cross contaminate. I've never been that crazy, but I do like to keep my flower pieces and oil rigs seperate.

The residual THC and combustion products in bong water should be a fairly effective antimicrobial. That said it's still not anything you need to be consuming.

Using fresh water is best, change it daily or every few bowls.

It aint antifungal

Keep it clean! It's not hard to change the water every day before you use it lol. And then it tastes SO much better than gnarly nasty old smelly bong mud "water"!! *gag* :)

Sincerely,
Terri