• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Bongs: fresh water vs still water vs swamp water

angeleyes

Bluelight Crew
G'day frands

I've just been doing that Sunday night contemplation of "yeah I probably should change the water, but I changed it yesterday, fuaaaaarrrkkkkk that's a lot of steps involved, maybe tomorrow" and it's dawning on me that maybe I should change it due to the oxygen in the water not being fresh/bacteria levels rising or the other miscellaneous reasons such as taste of the cone.

How bad does your water get before you change it? I've seen people ranging from pandantic to not fazed, daily to monthly and everything in between. General rule of thumb I've noticed is 1-5 days, but even when the stem gets clogged I've seen people Macguyver up a stoker and clean it through, but still not change the water.

BLUELIGHTERS WHATS THE GO, HOW FILTHY ARE YOU ANIMALS?

Some of the orchies man...

I so should have that meso
the'
'i o ma clean it every x now but
I think tche is proly 1 of the best disn fex eva

Shit
u no when ur inna place + errytnins sketch 4 logistix u havta hit it but omg

It's amazing tph

I did not understand what you have just posted. It should be related to water, right?

when I owned a bong I would dump the water out after each time I was done with it and fill it up with fresh water out of the fridge when I used it the next time.

If only because the water will get to room temperature if it sits too long and I wanted my hits to be as cold and smooth as possible

I change it at least everyday or when I see ash particles floating around. I don't think the quality of the water matters but I wouldn't use swamp water or anything like that, just use regular potable water. If the water is cold the smoke will be less harsh but I normally just use it room at temperature.

If you go to hit the bong and it makes you cough before you take the hit...change that shit. I do it at least once a week. Not errday though.

Back when I was smoking shwag or mids I really didn't care and would use the same bong water for up to a month or so. I didn't care much about taste or the finer points of smoking back then. It was pretty nasty now that I think about it.

(when smoking flower) Now a days I will not only change the bong water after EVERY session, but it gets the isopropyl+salt treatment about once every week or two. This insures a clean bong hit that feels like I just bought a new bong! It greatly increases my enjoyment of cannabis, and I strongly encourage others to try the same.

When dabbing wax or shatter or if I have my vaporizer hooked up to my bong, then I find that I don't need to change the water for up to a week a time, and I only need to clean it about once a month.

Water filtration is hands down the best way to smoke flower, to vaporize flower or to dab concentrates. Why not enjoy every hit you take? Change the water and clean the bong as much as possible I say!

change daily. all you gotta do is pour it out and pour more in.

a quick daily rinse means you dont have to clean it out as much.

Back in the day, I would only change the water once a week and never scrubbed the bong (salt + iso alcohol). I had this bong for about 6 months, and then when changing the water one day I noticed the water/resin/ash had stained the bong. I tried everything to get the stains out, but it's stained to this day. I learned my lesson :/ Now I got another bong, and I change the water once every 2 days, and give it a nice scrubbing every saturday before I have a session.

i would dump the water out after every session just in case of accidents. if a bong full of rank, week-old water tips you'll be stuck with a ghastly smell

i would dump the water out after every session just in case of accidents. if a bong full of rank, week-old water tips you'll be stuck with a ghastly smell

This reminds me of the opening scene of grandmas boy.

I used to not care about changing it often and didn't give much thought to it, but then one day it dawned on me that even leaving it to stagnate for any amount of time creates a festered breeding ground for bacteria. YUCK.
Now whenever I use a bong I get fresh water every time. I actually prefer to use hot water. The steamier the better

The residual THC and combustion products in bong water should be a fairly effective antimicrobial. That said it's still not anything you need to be consuming.

Using fresh water is best, change it daily or every few bowls.

The residual THC and combustion products in bong water should be a fairly effective antimicrobial. That said it's still not anything you need to be consuming.

combusted plant matter/THC is antimicrobial?

Huh.. I didn't know that. Regardless, now just thinking about it makes me queezy. not to mention after a few days there is definitely that "old bong water" aroma. Not pleasant to taste or smell.
actually I can notice it even after just one day old water.

When I used to smoke cannabis and used bongs I would just put new water in per session, and dump it out after I was done smoking.

The glass bong I owned was small and ice would not fit into it, and I wasn't about to put it into the freezer as it would have broken, so I bought an acrylic bong and would put ice into that, or put it into the freezer with fresh cold water until a thin layer of ice appeared over the water.

Where I live, the most common bongs people use are made of plastic bottles and a glass downstem.
These are also often used with tobacco (a lot of it) and without a screen, which make the water FILTHY really quickly. I heard of one person that hasn't replaced his water for a few months.
Hitting on those would make you feel the nicotine even if there was none in your bowl.
For this reason I tend to put new water in my bong every day, or just replace bongs if it's a plastic-bottle one. It's not that difficult ffs. tobacco sucks ass

ewww.

its mainly tar, and then you have a humid environment when people put their dirty mouthbreathing mouths and spit and cough.

YUK.

glass bongs, clean on the reg.

ewww.

its mainly tar, and then you have a humid environment when people put their dirty mouthbreathing mouths and spit and cough.

YUK.

glass bongs, clean on the reg.
Lol, mouth-breathing mouths

This is kinda my line of thought as well. I just have such a hard time imagining such an environment as sterile/sanitary.

Yeah leaving standing water that has other peoples grossness and residue for weeks at room temp all open and exposed to the air, then inhaling it and getting some in your mouth maybe is kinda gross. I look at it like this, under normal circumstances i wouldnt drink out of a glass left out for 2 weeks, probably shouldnt smoke my weed though it, unless absolutely needed of course.

Generally I will change my bong water as often as I remember to, which is about every 1 or 2 uses if I cant empty it after I use it. When I empty it I splash some rubbing alcohol in it and swirl it around to sterilize it at bit. It keeps the smoke and stuff fresh and easy to inhale and is generally good practice.