• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Blood thinning effects of Curcumin, how long?

Amml

Bluelighter
My question is: How long do the blood thinning effects of Curcumin stay after quitting it? Are the effects cumulative? I already found some papers on which pathways curcumin inhibits blood clothing, but not how long those effects hold on.

Probably for as long as the compound exists in the bloodstream, and not much longer. Curcumin doesn't permanently alter any part of the clotting cascade, only temporarily.

[ref]

So about 2-3 days abstinence should be enough to normalize blood clotting?

I'm under the impression that a couple grams of curcumin would be out of your blood in less than 12 hours. I've heard plasma levels of curcumin are very poor, and plasma levels of even high doses are minimal in a matter of a couple hours. A liposomal formula appears to be a different matter, but I can't recall exactly how piperine etc. will affect plasma levels, but IIRC even with piperine use curcumin doesn't last very long.

I'm under the impression that a couple grams of curcumin would be out of your blood in less than 12 hours. I've heard plasma levels of curcumin are very poor, and plasma levels of even high doses are minimal in a matter of a couple hours. A liposomal formula appears to be a different matter, but I can't recall exactly how piperine etc. will affect plasma levels, but IIRC even with piperine use curcumin doesn't last very long.

And just to get 100% sure: When the curcumin is metabolized and no detectable curcumin could be found in blood, the blood thinning effects also stop?

I suppose that's a great point to raise regarding whether or not the effect of clotting are to do with metabolites... I have no idea. I imagine that blood thinning would only possibly be an issue with mega doses but that's just my guess. I haven't heard anything about the blood thinning before, so I don't know if that says anything as well (considering I researched curcumin a tad some ago).

Well the study posted earlier showed that the metabolites show lower blood clothing inhibition. Maybe you know something of the factors that are influenced by curcumin and therefore the effect.

It could be possible that the blood thinning effect may not be too relevant in vivo, especially for a young guy. Some people do chronically take smaller doses of aspirin for the sole purpose of preventing blood clots. You may look at how those people are impacted, while keeping in mind we may not know whether curcumin is anything close to aspirin in terms of strength.

Afaik aspirins blood thinning effect work by inhibiting COX-1 irreversible, the normal life span of thrombocytes is 8-12 days, that is how long it's effects hold on after coming off.
Curcumin works completely different, that's why I ask. It for a nose surgery I have on the 27th, and I want to know how long before I should stop taking curcumin. Blood thinners would actually higher the risk of bleeding after the surgery, not critical but still not something I want to get.

There's a fair amount of vascularity in the nose, I would probably aim to be off curcumin around a week prior to surgery to be on the safe side.