• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Blood test: what is my doc trying to see?

royerlraph79

Bluelighter
I had several epileptic seizures a few months ago, so I was prescribed a blood test (and valproic acid 500mg twice a day to control the seizures, of course) by my neurologist. On the blood test script, he obviously checked what he wanted to be tested in my blood. These chemicals include:

- Calcium
- Creatinine
- Amylase
- Alanine transaminase (ALT)
- Creatine Kinase (CK)
- Blood count
- Folic Acid
- Vitamin B12
- Thyrotropin (TSH)
- Valproic acid

Of course you are not my doctor, but I would like to have opinions of what you think my neurologist is trying to find out with all of this. Thank you in advance guys :)

I work as a phlebotomist in the private pathology industry. Apart from Valproic acid, these are a among a number of pretty routine tests that most Doctors would look for when requesting blood work. As you probably know, Valproic acid can have some severe side effects and the serum levels requires regular monitoring in order to keep the dose ideal for you to minimise side effects while maintaining efficacy.

It's a bunch of nonspecific markers of liver health.

Looks like he's testing to check your

liver
kidneys
RBC (to see if you're too low or too high)
Thyroid Function(whether it be high, low, or within range)
Vit B (encase of deficiency)

As epileptic seizures can be caused by infections such as meningitis or encephalitis, stroke or any other type of damage to the brain.

Maybe he wants to see if you're an alcoholic..

However, I'm surprised he didn't also do a full metabolic panel, and also test WBC etc..

Last edited:
Yep I get tested for those my mom gets test for those. It's just normal blood work.