• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Black tar heroin and fentanyl? Does it happen?

uno22

Bluelighter
Lately there's been much talk of heroin mixed with fentanyl causing od's all over the east coast, specifically Philadelphia, Maryland, and New Jersey. This is the land of off-white powder heroin so I could see how anyone could just start cutting the local dope with fentanyl and market it as regular H.

NOW, I live in southern California near the Mexican border and we get exclusively black tar which is black/brown dope from Mexico. I began to wonder what the chance was of ever coming across some tar that had been laced/cut with fentanyl. Has this been known to happen? Is it even possible to process black tar using fentanyl? I've heard of tar called "gunpowder" in San Francisco that is supposedly an H and fentanyl mix, but that was a few years back. Most of the reports of fentanyl-laced H on the Internet mention certain types of stamped bags, which we don't really come across down here.

Basically this is a harm-reduction thread because I don't want to get some shit cut with fent and have it be dangerous or too strong without my knowledge.

People with experience please let me know your stories and any info you may have. Thanks.

Without using expensive chemical analysis equipment I don't believe there is a way to tell. If it is something you are worried about do a very small "test" piece before you prepare your actual shot. It seems like mixing fent into tar would be difficult and something most people wouldn't try to do.

Without using expensive chemical analysis equipment I don't believe there is a way to tell.

Sure there are, but opioid, and fentanyl single distick tests if you can get them, and try the fentanyl tests with a tiny bit of material.

Where shall I look for such a test kit? I don't bang the dope btw, only smoke it

Thanks

Ebay, online.

The only thing I found that tested fentanyl also tested 14 other things and wasn't cheap. I dunno if they make single for fentanyl, which is what you need. Look on google, amazon, ebay. Drug testing stuff is sold everywhere.

Edit:

Quick look, they indeed make individual fentanyl dip tests but they were
$62.50 for 25 of them lol

Where shall I look for such a test kit? I don't bang the dope btw, only smoke it

Thanks

You'll have to look online. I googled it and saw a few different sites selling test kits.

But, like we said.. it's really not common at all for BTH to be cut with fent.. so I think getting a test kit and being anal about testing every batch is a little unnecessary, but I mean, can't do any harm so go for it if you want.

You'll have to look online. I googled it and saw a few different sites selling test kits.

But, like we said.. it's really not common at all for BTH to be cut with fent.. so I think getting a test kit and being anal about testing every batch is a little unnecessary, but I mean, can't do any harm so go for it if you want.

Indeed. It's unnecessary if you're being safe and using syringe microfilters, and doing test shots. Naloxone around could help, but it seems in the places that have tar, there are less HR/Needle exchange places that will give it to you. Then you're fine.

I know that some of the Fentanyl analogs (the one I'm thinking of is acetyl fentanyl) are oily and do not break down readily in water. I guess there are some random oily substances in tar sometimes anyhow, so this may not help you identify the presence of Fentanyl, but an oily cut is always odd. Does anybody know if the 'oiliness' of a batch of tar points to anything specific, or is it just a random quality that varies from batch to batch depending on process and inactive cuts?

I know that some of the Fentanyl analogs (the one I'm thinking of is acetyl fentanyl) are oily and do not break down readily in water. I guess there are some random oily substances in tar sometimes anyhow, so this may not help you identify the presence of Fentanyl, but an oily cut is always odd. Does anybody know if the 'oiliness' of a batch of tar points to anything specific, or is it just a random quality that varies from batch to batch depending on process and inactive cuts?

I don't have the slightest clue, we can only speculate. But when dissolved it has looked like ink some times, other times, it dissolves from black into a light-brown that slowly moves up into the water. (I use a mini-cup not a spoon since I ain't IVing).

I've seen all different looks and feels, from sticky oily stuff, to not sticky unless wet hard black substance. It's so variable, probably from which cut used.

It really could be a hundred different things. Trying to guess what cut is in a batch from how it looks, or smells, or whatever, is just pointless as it's all speculation. There are many variables that influence the look of heroin.

Yes fentanyl can be cut into black tar. Swim has informed me that this is becoming more common to increase the strength of the drug. As for testing it without using it, swim did not say if there was any way to find out if it is cut with it. Swim also said to be careful because if it is cut with it, it will be very strong and can lead to an od. If you do od, your going to have a bad time.

Along these lines....everyone is saying to do a small "hit" of your shot in order to test it for fent strength.

What about if you are smoking your tar? doesn't seem like there is any way to homogenize it and test, is there?

Along these lines....everyone is saying to do a small "hit" of your shot in order to test it for fent strength.

What about if you are smoking your tar? doesn't seem like there is any way to homogenize it and test, is there?

A small part of the whole bag can contain all or no fentanyl so it won't help

A small part of the whole bag can contain all or no fentanyl so it won't help

now its becoming to where shooting your heroin is safer than other ROAs, since cooking a shot up will evenly distribute the fent in the liquid then doing like .05 CC to test potency before doing it all.

now its becoming to where shooting your heroin is safer than other ROAs, since cooking a shot up will evenly distribute the fent in the liquid then doing like .05 CC to test potency before doing it all.
You can eat, plug, put it up your nose, or even smoke it after cooking off the water. It actually is never the safest way to IV.

The whole fentanyl thing is scary. Time to consider changing your ROA if you're IVing. Seriously, you have to make whatever you're gonna use and test a very small bit before EVERY shot. You absolutely have to test every single time!! It's not worth dying over