bl staff, policy and process feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please. Let people be who they want and when it actually harms the site then do something.

we're better off without bigots and people who get their jollies from belittling, denigrating, and/or harassing others. you'll never believe it but that kind of stuff causes real harm.

every community has behavioral guidelines. those who selfishly refuse to follow them are unwelcome, thats how its always been for as long as society has existed.

^ mal...If you dont understand then it doesnt have much to do with you.

I dont think thats very important anyway, it just became a stupid on going meme, no one fought to use those words specifically.

All Ill say is things done could have been handled better.

Cant change that now right?

The least that admin could do is recognize the fact that this is wrong.

the lounge/social was not taken away (except for a brief couple of days during the transition). it's still there and people are free to post as long as

This is totally wrong and all you gotta do is go back and see for yourself that the "old lounge" NEVER reopened. The Social forum was a blank page and a very messy confusing time for everyone, a time where heaps of people were beginning their route down into being a known troll, even busty was canned for having an alt ali knew for years was him just to shut him up.

And so much for " this is an inclusive place for all".

If you want to wipe away that part of bl history as nothing, think again.

Not happening.

You say "if droppers wants his ban overturned he has to speak up through the proper channels and we'll do it."
right. maybe he didn't want his ban overturned - like a few others here, he loves the play the martyr.

droppers has had 5 infractions reversed on review. how on earth can that be?

i'm sure he appreciates the white-knighting but he's a big boy and can ask to have an infraction reviewed all on his own. if he wants to, i am sure he will.

We were playing IWS and TNW won the round so he made questions and scored them. He took your answer to a question in different way and he gave you very low to no points for it. It was probably some sort of technicality he tends to get caught up in. You should have gotten the points, or it could have gone either way, and he didn't give you the points. You were fuming over it.

I won the round so I was making questions and scoring them. You PM me and tell me to give TNW a score of 0, regardless of what it should be. You go on about how the scorer can score anyway they want, regardless of whether it's correct or not, and that he should get a 0. I say NO, I'm not doing that. It's not fair and it doesn't matter if it's unfair to a person I don't like (i didn't like TNW one bit then). You didn't like that answer from me and you ended it with "fine i'll win and get him back myself."
and people say i'm humourless? :)

let's have a look at the actual pm shall we? here it is (from july 23rd 2014):

alasdairm said:
hey man

see: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...can-Summer?p=12490617&viewfull=1#post12490617
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...can-Summer?p=12490618&viewfull=1#post12490618

i implore you to score the next round completely arbitrarily - give points to people you like and zeroes to those you don't. tnw and mikeokim especially get zeroes.

when they all start crying, just refer them to tnw's and mikeoekim's posts :)

if you don't want to, that's cool. i will win a round and i'll do it :)

later

ali
it's obvious to anybody (except you apparently) that i was just having a bit of fun. i never told you to do anything - i implored you. interesting that you chose to omit the smileys to try to suggest a completely different tone to this message. pretty lame dude.

alasdair

I love if we could discuss BPs concerns (or at least what I understand they were) related to interstaff conflict.

Oh great. The "brush off". Noce one Tath, I was addressing Alasdairm and will await a retraction of his statement. If that is what he honestly thinks, I do not know that person and never did.

What is the point then of this thread?

Just to give the appearance of being seen to address issues?

Oh of course. Well jeez, fell for that one hey.

Great.

How about dont bother, what you do and who you have making these decisions is totally on you mods.

Dont you dare ever try to blame anything you do on the few members you have left. Thats not going to work anymore.

Good luck!

Oh great. The "brush off". Noce one Tath, I was addressing Alasdairm and will await a retraction of his statement.

you'll find that everything you're bringing up and asking about was already addressed the last time it was discussed, ali acknowledging the lounge transition could have been handled better, addressing the lounge archive integration you keep bringing up, and everything else. if showing you where everything you're talking about has already been addressed is a "brush off" then yeah, I'm brushing you off. you act like this stuff hasnt been talked about before but it has, you're bringing up the exact same things that were answered months ago. go read the answers instead of acting like they don't exist, then ask new stuff instead of stuff that's already been addressed. if you're not satisfied with the answers and explanations thats fine.

But the majority of us, as ever, do not care about the lounge. I am sick of it dominating discussion like this. Get over it!

I was going to try to post this several minutes ago but got one of the error messages that's been going around. The threads really picked up so it might seem out of sequence now, but w/e. Also my browser is acting up so I can't quote properly right now.

---

(In response to zephyr ignoring my last post and telling me I don't understand)

Kind of funny that you said I was being condescending at first and now you are telling me I just don't know what I'm talking about. I don't claim to know the history of the Lounge or what went on behind the scenes during the time period you keep talking about. All I was doing was quoting the section of the guidelines that pertain to the topic of what kind of language is and is not permitted.

It is important to remember that there is more to Bluelight than the Lounge. It does not define every users identity. I've pretty much avoided it like the plague ever since I've been here. But that's okay. That's the way it should be. People gravitate to different areas for different reasons. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be a fundamental set of guidelines for everyone as a whole.

What I keep coming back to is the whole idea of harm reduction. Indiscriminately throwing around words that have been used to inflict harm for decades does not live up to that idea. Especially when we are talking about a community of drug users who are already marginalized by society.

But the majority of us, as ever, do not care about the lounge. I am sick of it dominating discussion like this. Get over it!

srsly. there are some alleged issues with moderators being biased and it affecting their decisions, mods overstepping their bounds, and/or otherwise abusing their authority as moderators; hearing out those and similar concerns and addressing them if they're valid is what this thread is supposed to be about. concerns can be sent anonymously, as ali posted before, or people can post them in the anon forum and I'll merge them over, if anyone wants to inform of such issues anonymously. if you choose to go anon make sure you log out first.

I'll end this by giving two examples of the type of person you are, alasdairm, and why I don't believe your moral high ground stance. People that have dealt with you can attest to this, though I'm sure they would never have the balls to do it publicly, except maybe a couple of us. Sup lysis.

Droppers caught an infraction that lead to a ban. I don't remember the particulars, but it was a mistake. Anyone that looked at the post that got him the ban realized it was done in error. I point this out in the staff forum, either in the ban thread or the infraction thread. You look at it and agree that it's a mistake and should be overturned.

I wait, and I say, OK, do the right thing and overturn it. You refuse. You say "if droppers wants his ban overturned he has to speak up through the proper channels and we'll do it." THAT represents whom you are. You know what the right thing is, but you refuse to do it because it's for someone you don't like. It's not about doing the right thing, it's about what YOU personally want done. (Same with closing TL and kicking us out. Wasn't about doing the right thing, just about pushing your personal vendetta or agenda.

And another example.

We were playing IWS and TNW won the round so he made questions and scored them. He took your answer to a question in different way and he gave you very low to no points for it. It was probably some sort of technicality he tends to get caught up in. You should have gotten the points, or it could have gone either way, and he didn't give you the points. You were fuming over it.

I won the round so I was making questions and scoring them. You PM me and tell me to give TNW a score of 0, regardless of what it should be. You go on about how the scorer can score anyway they want, regardless of whether it's correct or not, and that he should get a 0. I say NO, I'm not doing that. It's not fair and it doesn't matter if it's unfair to a person I don't like (i didn't like TNW one bit then). You didn't like that answer from me and you ended it with "fine i'll win and get him back myself."

The fact that you would ACTUALLY do something like that, or rather seek out to do something like that, just over some petty shit like an IWS score says all one needs to know about your true motivations.

-------------------

My point with all of this is you have no moral high ground. I don't believe you when you say you wanted to "clean up TL" and I most certainly don't believe you when you say, with no proof, that TL effects the image of some drug injecting addicts. You think your behavior that I highlighted above is OK behavior, but when drippersneck makes a stupid fried chicken and grape soda joke, oh that can't stand. Please. Let people be who they want and when it actually harms the site then do something. And do something with everyone's input and opinion.

I?m still not sure what I got that permanent infraction for tbh. Jah posted it in this very forum and nobody could point it out the reason. I?m guessung the one mod who?s super ban happy just had the itch. Luckily she?s chilled out a bit.

Honestly whom really cares. The politics of the board and the agenda being pushed is their right as a private entity, though I do see how the sanctimonious act of being completely unbiased is a bit rich. Phro you and BP just need to move on, come on guys there are greener pastures. The lounge was cool, but all things change over time and we have all grown older. Alasdair isn?t the complete villain he?s being made out to be, I just wish he were more transparent about the politics and agenda of the board. And it?s not just nigger and faggot that got banned, it was thousands of words and ideas. Essentially all of the ironic humor that drew people to it got slowly beaten out of it. Come on guys let bygones be bygones, shake hands and get past this!

<edit> can I have the nonsense perm infraction overturned? However If it will result in ill will from cep staff then I shall rescind the ask

Last edited:
you'll find that everything you're bringing up and asking about was already addressed the last time it was discussed, ali acknowledging the lounge transition could have been handled better, addressing the lounge archive integration you keep bringing up, and everything else. if showing you where everything you're talking about has already been addressed is a "brush off" then yeah, I'm brushing you off. you act like this stuff hasnt been talked about before but it has, you're bringing up the exact same things that were answered months ago. go read the answers instead of acting like they don't exist, then ask new stuff instead of stuff that's already been addressed. if you're not satisfied with the answers and explanations thats fine.

Are you in charge of this thread? If you aren't already interested in my comments, scroll on.

It was you who started that poll. I had no idea why but thought for a minute any kind of unrest with you around the edges means a chance to get into admin.

Dude, that's a theory only. There's nothing wrong with ambition. Considering what's already happened before you came back, what else could possibly go wrong?

How about this.

Let's hear plans and ideas you staff have going. There hasn't been much lately.

Quite frankly given the epic sweep under the rug effort going on, the trivialisation of your fellow blue lights, yeah bp has every right to be concerned.

Hanks for grouping a bunch of us as racist and homophobic. Not true.

I love if we could discuss BPs concerns (or at least what I understand they were) related to interstaff conflict.

Ill wait for Alasdairm to address my concern.

Swillow etc, no ones asking you to read or respond. So dont. Go and do some modding while you wait to pounce on beepers, youre just so obviously up to shit its hilarious.

Hopefully Ali will do so as Im more than happy to never let history be forgotten or denied, fourteen years of friends past and present far outweighs any trivial bullshit youre on about now.

zeph i have no idea what you're on about, but your issues with the lounge have already been addressed. shall i quote them into here since you're unwilling to do all that hard work of clicking a link yourself?

ditto. all we've heard is that allegedly there's a problem, but nobody has been able to say anything more than that.

Tath, I appreciate this has become frustrating, but please remain mindful of the OP and sarcasm and all that. Not a big deal, I just think you’re better than cheap shots given how seriously zep is taking TL stuff.

Well, in BPs defense, even though I got frustrated and ended up pissed off enough to get sucked into the stuff going on with staff, he does have a genuine concern. Especially if I’m assume his intentions are in the right place with it.

I do not agree with how he handled things, but I do agree that we need to address his concerns. Some of them I see as problems he caused for himself, but others I see a legitimate issues of concern. By the same token, other have had concerns with BP, and my bias is that I tend to agree with concerns about BP more than his own concerns, of those he had expressed only some I see as substantiating.

But I really don’t like talking about BP or his concerns like this. They are his concerns after all, so who am I to speak for him... anyways I still like to get at the concerns staff have brought up, as opposed to non-staff.

For instance, from BP’s perspective, how folks (including me) kinda ganged up on him. And from the concerns of other people, how BPs behavior has come off largely as divisive (baiting or provoking or triggering, however one wants to think of it), regardless of his intentions.

Quite frankly given the epic sweep under the rug effort going on, the trivialisation of your fellow blue lights, yeah bp has every right to be concerned.

What's been swept under the rug? If you are referring to your own issue, I'm gonna be blunt and say that no one knows what it is, you just wait for any bluelight critical thread to raise your own personal grievance regardless of the actual topic.

If you think the lounge transition was done poorly. I consider it a success and you were one of the reasons why, so thanks zephyr.

I bet you'll still keep personally attacking staff though.

Hanks for grouping a bunch of us as racist and homophobic. Not true.

No one has done this, least of all to you. We all know what a hard time you've copped from this lot. That you are taking their "side" is mind boggling to me.

Tathra, help me spare the important time of mods such as swillow, toothpaste dog and many others by reiterating this:

I would like Alasdairm to reflect on his time on bluelight. His friends. The fun and trials and trivilations through that time. How many he has met. How many have travelled the world to meet up and what this place means to him.

Then go back and go through exactly what led up to and followed what he describes as not a big deal.

The I want him to tell me what worth we have, just to be swept up and chucked in the bin. The same mods who are so peachy keen for more drama are still doing the same thing.

I have always held him in high regard and what happened just does not fit in with someone who is totally reasonable. Theres nothing else to it, thats all I would like so kindly just step away. Youve changed your tune on practically all you said you stood for before you pointed out there was a cep spot and got in.

I believe you have a personal vendetta and just want to have some weird victory. Because you have a checkered past and have said in the past the admin would never let you on staff again.

Given there are others who apparently dealt drugs through bl back on staff regardless, what do you even stand for anymore anyway if you dont have a moral compass?

This place has stomped out a lot of people just to get rid of a few. I would hazard a guess that in the event of another "mistake" itll happen to you.

Urgh.

Good luck hassling beeps- bloke has got more balls than you all. Hes one guy who has done his best to accommodate a bunch of people who couldnt care less

He has so many balls that he has refused to put himself on the line and see explain himself. Perhaps you mean he's given you the balls to start your typical ranting against the website you post on everyday.

I asked him in my first reply. I asked courteously too and he has been unwilling to substantiate any of his grievances. Instead he has acted like he has been attacked. Asking someone to prove a claim is not an attack. Not substantiating an argument says you either can't in which case the debate should end, or won't in which case I have to return to my thesis that the aim of bp's complaints were to draw in the usual hordes (sadly you've become predictable) to join in the pecking party.

If you say there is a problem but won't say what it is, I don't believe you want that problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.