• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Bitch landlord

telepathetic

Bluelighter
There is no end to the problems that life can throw lol...

So, my toilet has had an issue clogging since I moved in 6 months ago. To save the elderly landlords a hassle and expense, rather than complain I just plung it everytine it clogs every few days. Well, last night it started leaking from the bottom, which caused my landlords separate house under my apartment to get a small leak from the ceiling. No major damages, certainly not that my deposit can't cover, if I'd even be considered responsible for her faulty equipment.

This caused them to enter my place unannounced, without knocking or calling, and she found my kitchen sink totally full to the brim with unwashed dishes, a mess on the counter, and in the microwave. It was spotless a week ago when I returned from several months out of state.

Now, she has threatened me with eviction for being messy, and given me 30 days no move out.

Pretty sure I could fight it but I really don't want to wind up with an eviction on my record and unable to get a new place.

Surely landlords don't have the right to enter your home?

Fight it.

Surely landlords don't have the right to enter your home?

Fight it.
Talked to an attorney. They have the right to enter in an emergency (such as a flood), coming in the second time was probably illegal but hard to prove and splitting hairs.

They likely can't evict me, but they could make my life hell if I won, and he said there is a slight chance they would win based on me kindly not reporting the malfunctioning toilet, and here in USA evictions go on public record and then finding a new place is next to impossible.

What is best is i leave in the 30 days and sue for my security deposit, in small claims court, filing without an attorney. He was nice enough to tell me I'd win without retaining him.

I was a landlord for a long time, and I don't think there is a clause in your lease that says you must wash your dishes in a timely manner. The only thing that would matter is if somehow your mess was causing property damage, a foul odor that could be detected outside your apartment, or otherwise violated the lease agreement. I'm pretty sure those things don't count.