• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Biosensor for screening psychedelics

Skorpio

Sr. Moderator: N&PD, S&T
Staff member

Psychedelic-inspired drug discovery using an engineered biosensor​

Published:April 28, 2021

First off, I'm this could go in the new article thread but it is a big enough deal that I would like a thread for it. If mods disagree, do what you must.

A group at UC Davis made a fluorescent reporter system for psychadelic type activation of the 5ht2a receptor. Previously the only way to infer psychadelia was to measure second messenger (inositol triphosphate) activation. This paper compares their assay to others using a whole slew of different psychadelics.

The next phase of the paper is using this system to do a high throghput screen of compounds looking for non psychadelic drugs that have the same thereprutic benefit. While this is a shame, they do seem to find some potential psychadelics in their search. They also show data on loads of compounds like a number of halogenated dmt derivatives.

They came up with a class of compounds that are near psychadelic (one even may be an actual psych) with a structure that is totally new to me: it looks like dmt but the ethylamine side chain is bound to the indole nitrogen rather than the 3 position.

Anyway if you don't have access, scihub is always your friend.