• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Bioavailability of missed shot of IV Morphine?

jamesmartin

Bluelighter
I couldn't find a thread in regards to my question/missing a shot of specifically morphine on bluelight nor on the web otherwise I would not have made this thread. That or I suck at finding threads & for that I'm sorry before I get roasted lol.
Theres threads I can find on missing a shot of heroin & some other opiates with different bioavailabilities but not morphine.
Also, the reason for me putting it in the pharmacology section of this forum over say the "other drugs" section is due to my question being mostly in regards to the bioavailability of a missed shot of morphine over say heroin or other opiates... & this is a question that relates to the pharmacology of a drug I assume.

Long story short - I started out using using hydromorphone intravenously 2 years ago. After some time and over the last year I have switched to morphine (Eslon capsules) as in my area I am able to get it for the same price & more importantly as a lot of you know due to morphines longer half life it keeps me well for longer than hydromorphone.

I remember when I would accidentally miss a shot of hydromorphone (& occasionally heroin which i'd use as a last resort) in my vein, it was pretty much a goner & I remember reading information/sources that would back this up & show that the B/A was much less than a successful/non-missed IV shot.

However, in the case of missing a shot of morphine I cannot find much information on its bioavailability :S
I just missed a shot of morphine in my arm & as I type this question have a warm compress on it which I've been holding on it very soon after missing it.

My question is...
When a shot of morphine is missed, is it now considered an IM (intramuscular) or subcutaneous shot? (In this case & most of the time I shoot in my arms.)

& also is a missed shot of IV morphine (aka a shot of morphine not successfully shot into ones vein) considered to have a similar bioavailability as a IV shot of morphine successfully put in ones vein?
I assume not but please correct me if I am wrong...
... & if it doesn't have a similar B/A of a successful IV morphine shot, does anyone know or have a rough idea what the bioavailablity is from a missed shot of morphine is?

I know a missed shot of morphine of course doesn't have the "rush" as its not reaching ones brain as fast but how much of this missed shot is actually absorbed (if at all) approx is what i'm wondering.

Thank You.

It should be the same as an IM/SQ injection - 100% BA but no rapid peak.

It should be the same as an IM/SQ injection - 100% BA but no rapid peak.

If you missed the vein trying to I.V. then it becomes an I.M...hopefully.

Worst case scenario, you shoot into a pocket of underlying fat.

Yeah.... Given the dosage, how much of the shot itself was missed, and not getting irate about missing (VERY IMPORTANT), it's not too far off from if you didn't miss at all... I still get the HOLY iv rush, even if I do miss some, given I don't let the addict beast that I am, make me too mad about it...

With fucked up veins, save for research projects and unusual stuff along those lines, (thanks PCP/ket/PCE analogs) tend to IM anyway now. Its less demanding and the veins that are around are better kept as IV ports in case of other, medical, shit hitting the fan. Had to undergo inhalational anaesthesia recently for a minor procedure (and ended up leaving with a fucking IV port in me still, unable to feel it in the area in question, presumably they'd used a local or hit a nerve etc., did come in handy for the next couple of days though until I had a nurse get rid of the thing [my bio-waste procedures probably wouldn't be up to code, although certainly efficient enough to dispose of most non-perfluorinated organics and certainly any organisms]