• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Biking Nerds Unite

fenders
Picture079.jpg

neophrone balaclava and $30 gloves I bought from Lowes.
DSCN0531.jpg

Thanks beagleboy!

I'll post back later with stupid questions like "If those are designed for a mountain bike, will they work for a hybrid [street and mountain] bike?" The tires on my bike are bigger but thinner than a mountain bike, but not as big or as thin as a street bike.

^I am able to help you source the correct parts and give advice.

Link to Online community that is very visible in the Bike industry. There are pro riders and mechanics and retailers and manufacturer reps that post on Pinkbike. You should check out the mechanics lounge for mechanical and consumer advice.
http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/

Link to a consumer based review group. You just type the name of the bike or bike part you have questions about into their search engine, and up pops many reviews by other bikers. Its very comprehensive.
http://www.mtbr.com/reviewscrx.aspx

^ Thanks again for the links, beagleboy. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner on this.

Now for a slightly different topic still relating to biking...

Do any of you have a "chain tool" for putting on a new chain? If so, how much did it cost and have you used it? Twice? Often?

When you bike, do you carry a spare tube with you? Do you even know how to repair a flat?

^ A chaintool is a few bucks, but I borrowed someone's for my fixed conversion. And I do carry around a spare tube(I should hope this fact alone implies proficiency of use)

Do any of you have a "chain tool" for putting on a new chain? If so, how much did it cost and have you used it? Twice? Often?

When you bike, do you carry a spare tube with you? Do you even know how to repair a flat?

I do not have a chain tool. I can imagine that you might be able to use your hands to put it on as long as you have the shifting chain holder so you can fit it on there.

No, I don't carry a spare with me. Yes, I know how to repair a flat. I know how to patch a flat, too.

A spare tube and a small pump (I use a Blackburn mammoth II) are the shit for MTB. I like doing as many repairs as possible at home with all my tools and good light (saves time). I've thought about tubeless, but that will have to wait until I have the cash/need for a new wheelset.

For normal riding I don't carry a spare.

addictive: I don't have a specific tool, but my multitool has a chain breaker on it. I'm assuming that's what you mean?

And yes, I've had to use it on a couple of occasions. If there's another way to add/remove links in the chain, then I'm all ears.

I'm debating getting a pedal wrench. I <3 my bike, but it's outfitted for racing and the pedals on there are a bit much for just day-to-day errands or bombing. Plus, I'm destroying the shoe half of the system by walking on them too much.

For reference, they're the sort that look like this:

NSFW:
item-1122657360.jpg
0.2228.jpg

And I'd like to replace them with ones that look like this for day-to-day use:

NSFW:
shimano-spd.jpg

A spare tube and a small pump (I use a Blackburn mammoth II) are the shit for MTB. I like doing as many repairs as possible at home with all my tools and good light (saves time). I've thought about tubeless, but that will have to wait until I have the cash/need for a new wheelset
Ahaha, totally forgot about the pump. How silly of me. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

addictive: I don't have a specific tool, but my multitool has a chain breaker on it. I'm assuming that's what you mean?
Yes, I think that's what I mean. :)

no, I dont currently use pedals like that.
I know people who do, and have been considering it for myself.

Ah ok. I can definitely recommend getting some decent platform pedals. I haven't been able to try out some good shoes with them, but even with an old pair of solomon cross country shoes I like it more than clipless for MTB. I'm leaning towards the Shimano I think..cheaper and supposedly almost as good grip as the 5/10s with a better upper. Only supposed downside is durability of the sole.

Wooo..my brother gave me his old expensive bike because he bought a new one, and the bike shop says everything is fine, just needs air in the tires and a new chain. Going to be a part of this thread soon :D

I got two orders of goodies from pricepoint.com and blueskycycling.
DSCN0874.jpg

DSCN0873.jpg

My helmet before and after complete with tractor trailer retroreflective stickers and NiteRider Minut 250 headlamp.
DSCN0871.jpg

DSCN0887.jpg

Lol..I'm glad there are no cars where I ride. I bet you light up like a christmas tree. I just have a few high power chinese LED flashlights with rechargeable batteries. How are those sunline grips? I have the sunline logo thin grips that I really like, but was thinking about trying out the waffle grip.

^ theyre great. I have been using them for a few days now. I just really dont have the need or desire for the raised inner ends. And the end cap serves as the lock on. It is kinda flimsy. I prefer the Lizard skins "Logo".........

Lol yea I just lost an end cap the other day, but I found it on the next ride cause there was only one place I brushed a small tree with the end of handle bar. Next time I think I'll just spend a few extra dollars and go with regular ODI lock-ons.

Old hydration pack is busted. Ordered a Dakine Nomad yesterday. Looking forward to not being dripped on my whole ride even though it does keep me cool in summer!

Thought I would give this thread a little bump. Just ordered some Schwalbe Big Apple 26x2.0 to haul my dog around for longer distances, and some Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 700x35c for my city/touring bike. Looking forward to getting these on to try. I am especially curious about the Big Apple on my mountain bike with AM front suspension. I will be jumping shit I think.