• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Biggest scams

i have both 401k and a roth ira. my employer matches 50% of my 401k contribution. fuck that? no thanks.

Yeah, if your employer is matching your contributions there's no way it isn't worth it.

Even ignoring that, though, a traditional 401(k) is generally more advantageous in the short term, given the immediate tax benefit, than a Roth IRA, where the benefit is only upon withdrawal. In Canada we have analogous tax-sheltered accounts (RRSP = traditional 401(k), TFSA = Roth IRA) and I'll only add money to the TFSA (other than short-term cash holding) if and when my RRSP contributions are maxed out.

if you die tomorrow, you're going to lose access to your roth too :)

so that seems like an odd thing to say.

i have both 401k and a roth ira. my employer matches 50% of my 401k contribution. fuck that? no thanks.

alasdair

That's great!

Feel free to add more to my list

Cheap 1 ply toilet paper. It's so thin you have to use more of it to prevent getting dirty fingers.

It ends up gone more quickly than the more expensive thicker stuff.

Trust me, I have conducted science experiments on this.

Cheap 1 ply toilet paper. It's so thin you have to use more of it to prevent getting dirty fingers.

On a similar note, I would add brown paper towel, at least for cleaning up significant spills. It's cheaper than white paper towel per area but, given the relative amounts needed to absorb a given quantity of water, it ends up being more expensive per spill.

Not to mention how fucking rough it is on your arse. When I was in prison, I would buy toilet paper off the commissary because while it still wasn’t the greatest, it was waaay better than the super rough one ply bullshit they would give you for free. And it was pretty fucking cheap.

It blew my mind that it seemed like 90 percent of the guys in there wouldn’t buy it because they could get toilet paper for free. Like yeah, they also give you three free meals a day but you’re still buying a bunch of food off commissary because it tastes alot better.

Single bottles of sodie pop. 2.25$ for a single 20 oz bottle when you can get a 12 pack of 12 oz cans for 7$(cheaper when on sale). Oh, but the 20 oz is cold.

I don’t even drink the shite, but I deliver it for Pepsi. I had a lady one day tell me she quit drinking Pepsi after 30 years because it’s too expensive now. Guess what bitch I don’t set the prices and I couldn’t give a fuck less whether you drink the shit or not.

Another crazy thing is the fucking one liter bottles of aquafina are a dollar cheaper than the 20 oz bottles. More for less money. And you can get them both cold in a cooler like 3 doors away from each other. That one really blows me.

Single bottles of sodie pop. 2.25$ for a single 20 oz bottle when you can get a 12 pack of 12 oz cans for 7$(cheaper when on sale). Oh, but the 20 oz is cold.

well, you're also paying for convenience. maybe you're out running errands for a few hours and you don't want to carry around an open pack with 11 cans in it for the next 3 hours...

it's hardly a scam when you have a choice.

alasdair

well, you're also paying for convenience. maybe you're out running errands for a few hours and you don't want to carry around an open pack with 11 cans in it for the next 3 hours...

alasdair
Yeah, I get that. Maybe not a scam, but still fucking greedy. Price gouging. Whatever you want to call it. Then again, if you bring a cooler with you on your little shopping fest you won’t have this problem, now will you?

alasdair
Not a scam if one has a choice? So tell me, in what scam does one not have a choice? The one where there’s a gun to one’s head?

alasdair
I’ve got a special deal just for you on cases that “fell off the truck”(wink wink wink). I got you for the low low fam. Free shipping.

if there's deception or fraud, you've been scammed.

when the prices are openly printed on a product and you have a free choice to buy or not, it's not a scam.

alasdair

when the prices are openly printed on a product and you have a free choice to buy or not, it's not a scam.

Sure, but I wasn't, and I think others weren't, using it in the literal sense. Maybe "ripoffs" is a more accurate term? Bad deals?

Nahh
you need 3 sheets
women use 30 no matter if its 1 ply or 3 ply

When I was a small child I got yelled at by my grandfather for using too much toilet paper when I was pooping. He grew up in the depression, he told me that when he was my age they had to use both sides of the toilet paper. Even at 5 years old I was thinking wtf.... that's gross gramps 😳

Core-Nutrition-600x600-USEN.jpg

"Be your own Boss, get our products at a discount and sell them to all of your family, friends and neighbors"

This company is running a straight up pyramid scheme, I've seen the way they operate in the lower income communitys in NJ. They have people walking door to door hustling this shit. They want you to get other people to sell for you as well, and you get a cut of their sales that go to the top for being a referral. It is all a giant scam on some overpriced shake mix, supplements...
Agreed. IMHO capitalism in and of itself is just one giant MLM pyramid scheme. This coming from someone who was sucked into one (water filters) and thought I was gonna get rich so quick that I dropped out of college my senior year to pursue that useless pipe dream.

alasdair
Yes, well the original post of this thread set the precedent we are using, which is a much broader definition. Thank you have a good day.