Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Big Papi is scary good

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Verrry scary things as we approached Halloween:
1. Zombies.
2. Vampires.
3. David Ortiz.

It was a dark and bone-chilling night in Boston, Massachusetts. A game of baseball was to be played -- a spine-tingly, goose-bumpy game, Game 6 of the 2013 World Series, in a park fenced in by a Green Monster -- and the visiting St. Louis Cardinals had a particularly petrifying sight to face on Halloween eve when, one by one, those wolfman-hairy Boston Red Sox came to bat:

"Big Papi."

(Screams. A thunder clap. A lightning bolt.)
Oooh, as scary as the walking dead. Up to the plate he stepped, 6 feet 4, 250 pounds, lugging a huge wooden club.

(...)

Big Papi, unlike the man once nicknamed the Splendid Splinter, is a baseball slugger in an era when many fans have become suspicious of a hitter's success. Is his prowess the result of hard work and legitimate talent or are more sinister methods involved: a secret formula from a Frankenstein-like laboratory, perhaps?

Ahhh, but almost nobody seems to speculate that a banned steroid has ever passed through David Ortiz's flesh and veins. He seems immune to suspicion, possibly due to his always being a man of considerable size, big arms, big trunk, big head, and not some 170-pound beanpole who transformed into a baseball-crushing beast.

"They pick me (to be drug-tested) every time, I don't know why," Ortiz said a few years ago with a bemused shrug. "All I know is all they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/30/opinion/downey-big-papi-scary-bat/index.html

A person's urine is his own business. Unless a crime has been committed that you need the info for (like vehicular homicide), nobody should be subjected to drug tests.

A person's urine is his own business. Unless a crime has been committed that you need the info for (like vehicular homicide), nobody should be subjected to drug tests.

Agree with that statement generally, but in sports it is a different thing. Baseball in particular is looked at by many American's as a "pure" sport. Also, the steroid scandal did huge damage to both the MLB and in some respects to the nation itself. Football is huge genetic freaks slamming into each other, Baseball is the "human" sport.

Also, Ortiz very likely tested positive in 2003. He doesn't mention that. By all accounts he is a super nice and down to earth guy and I love watching him play... but for him to play dumb is kinda ironic.

I agree with this.
There should be no law restricting what I can put into my OWN BODY.
Next there will be laws telling me what I am allowed to think, or not to think...

I agree with this.
There should be no law restricting what I can put into my OWN BODY.
Next there will be laws telling me what I am allowed to think, or not to think...

I agree with this. The most common argument against it is how if some participants use performance-enhancing drugs, everyone else must also use them to remain competitive. While this is true, I don't understand why this is any different than working out (for an athletic analogy) or intensive studying (for an academic analogy). The only rationale I can see behind that argument is that working out and studying are morally acceptable and therefore okay to force on the other participants and performance-enhancing drug use are not morally acceptable and are thus not okay to force on other participants. I don't buy into any argument that uses moral acceptability as its premise.

The players union and the league have come to agreements regarding PED use in the game. The players know what they are getting into. Not that a lot of them are not using HGH nowadays.

My issue with the drug testing in sports is the whole randomized picking of who gets tested. Every athlete should get tested at the same time, however many times they deem appropriate, if it is going to be done. What reason does a league like the NFL or MLB have to not be able to do this sort of testing? Money most certainly should not be the issue.