• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Beta-Methoxy Phenethylamines - Beta-MeO-PEA's - BM-PEA's - (BMP's)

blowjay

Bluelighter
Beta-Methoxy Phenethylamines - Beta-MeO-PEA's - BM-PEA's (or beta-acetyl or acetoxy)

Alright here we go....

After trying to dig up a bit more into Alpha-ethyl phenethylamines I realized that people were much more interested in beta-ketones and figured I would meet them halfway.

Enter the following in google:

shulgin beta methoxy peas

or if one is wanting other information on such a topic:

http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/mda.dalcason.html

not discussing synthesis, just quoting from source:

"Substitution of a methoxy group at the beta position [R3 = OCH3] on MDPEA has been reported to give an hallucinogenic homolog of equal potency with MDA24"

Hmm how would one miss such a thing?

My ideas were to suggest all those snorting purple bk-2c-b to instead look into beta-methoxy compounds instead. Seems to me that they should be stable and would most likely be interesting. Look into BOD and BOB.

Is anyone familiar with beta-methoxy-phenethylamines?

Had another idea, what does anyone think about beta-acetyl or acetoxy? Beta-acetyl looks potentially interesting to me but that is going off of limited data based on bk-2c-b and BOB.

-blowjay out

Last edited:
The beta-methoxys were abandoned by Shulgin after he became concerned about their physical toxicity. Despite this, they look no worse than cathinones in this regard. BOH was indeed equipotent with MDA, but over-all it was no good, it gave people cold feet, not MDA-like euphoria.

BOB was better, substantially similar to 2C-B, and the beta-methoxy derivatives of the other 2C-X might be expected to behave similarly. Since they seem to be identical to the parent compounds with some added vasoconstriction, though, they're not very interesting unless the primary goal is to avoid poorly-written drug laws.

A primary goal would be to avoid legal trouble and find interesting things in the process, I thought the same thing about their similarities to cathinones which Shulgin didn't persue very deeply but that didn't stop a generation from going crazy about them.

Any idea about beta-acetyl or beta-acetoxy? The beta-acetyl seems interesting to me as it is a midway between a beta-methoxy and a beta-ketone. I don't recall any beta-acetyl's being mentioned in PIHKAL or by Shulgin at all.

I've heard of beta-methylene resp. 3-amino-2-phenyl(butene/propene) derivatives, but I'm not sure how stable this would be; it is a terminal alkene.

I've often wondered why we still don't know how good (or not) beta-methoxymethamphetamine is.

The F&B mention of it was hardly a hiccup worth of information about it, didn't say a damned thing.

I think the assumed 'problems' could be more exaggerated than everyone thinks. Shulgin is only one man and while his research has been PHENOMINAL to say the least, he is still human and especially he knows that every compound reacts differently depending on the subject. I seem to remember Shulgin not thinking too highly of cathinones compared to other PEA's whilst having quite an avid interest in sub'd methamphetamines. I think Shulgin had certain attributes that he was chasing after when he created his compounds and I don't think many people apply this to extensions of his research that divert in different directions.

Shulgin had the capacity to make ANY KIND OF DRUG HE WANTED!

He had the know-how and law on his side and could have spent decades working on simple stimulant/depressant drugs that could be easily made at home by any person who could read a cookbook and would have been able to get the whole world high as fuck and create a drug epidemic that would never be stopped if he wanted to do such a thing.

Thats not what he chose to do. He delved deeply into PEA's and Tryp's that were made in an effort to liberate the users thinking and potentially cause positive changes using chemical induced states as the catalysts(some may disagree a little with me on that but we can all agree he was trying to do positive work).

With all of that said, that does NOT mean that he is the one stop reference for these family of compounds and that by reading a few PIHKAL entries about beta-methoxy-PEA's one knows enough to rule out the potential for more viable psychoactives that are related to compounds mentioned in PIHKAL, it took me less than a week to consider another possible substitution instead of the metoxy and now I find myself intrigued more by an acetyl group in the beta position.

Lets end on a happy and inspirational note from our buddy Shulgin:

"This compound, BOB, is the most potent of the BOX series. And yet, as with all of the members of this family, there are overtones of physical concern, and of some worry as to the integrity of the body. There may well be a separation of activity with the two optical isomers, but there is not a tremendous push to explore this particular family much further. They can't all be winners, I guess. What would be the activities of compounds with a sulfur instead of an oxygen at the beta-oxygen position? What would be the nature of action if there were an alpha-methyl group, making all of these into amphetamine derivatives? Or what about both a sulfur and a methyl group? And what about the isomers that are intrinsic to all of this, the threo- and the erythro- and the "D's" and the "L's"? All this is terra incognita, and must someday be looked into. It is chemically simple, and pharmacologically provocative. Someone, somewhere, someday, answer these questions! "

F&B talked about it a bit here http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/171971-Stimulants-of-the-Future?p=4828198&viewfull=1#post4828198

I don't think it would be very good given the problems with beta-methoxyamphetamines (only one that sounded remotely interesting was BOD in PiHKAL IMO)

And just to clarify for future readers (not being a jerk, <3) BOD is a phenethylamine, not an amphetamine or n-methlated.

and to repeat what Shulgin pleas for at the end...

"Someone, somewhere, someday, answer these questions!"

I surmise we will be seeing β-METHOXY phenethylamines quite soon.

Dimethoxymethamphetamine is being explored right now but there's probably some issues with potency and stability in the 2,5 disubstitution. 4-bromo addition to the 2,5 is a possibility but I don't know how stable it would be either.

Last edited:
And just to clarify for future readers (not being a jerk, <3) BOD is a phenethylamine, not an amphetamine or n-methlated.

Yeah that's what I meant. I need to read my posts more closely while my brain is fogged up from benzo withdrawal. Maybe I'm better off just staying out of discussions over here until that's over with. I've made too many mistakes lately.

nah man its cool, as long as things are still turning up there and its not mindless dribble we are all worth something to these forums thus the <3

and the dimethoxy-methamphetamine thing sounds interesting but I would like to think we can still think up stuff that can skirt structural analog laws a little more convincingly than that, with the 2C's being banned I don't think legislators would like to see a schedule 1 + schedule 1 structurally based 'legal high'.

We need to be thinking out the box a bit more if we want to bring new things to the table. The winners of Shulgin creations should have all been synthed and stockpilled and then slowly released and then mass distributed a little better. IMO this would have benefitted many more people. Fucking cathinones and bath salts just shit on valuable research.

nah man its cool, as long as things are still turning up there and its not mindless dribble we are all worth something to these forums thus the <3

and the dimethoxy-methamphetamine thing sounds interesting but I would like to think we can still think up stuff that can skirt structural analog laws a little more convincingly than that, with the 2C's being banned I don't think legislators would like to see a schedule 1 + schedule 1 structurally based 'legal high'.

We need to be thinking out the box a bit more if we want to bring new things to the table. The winners of Shulgin creations should have all been synthed and stockpilled and then slowly released and then mass distributed a little better. IMO this would have benefitted many more people. Fucking cathinones and bath salts just shit on valuable research.

This could be literal with dimethoxymethamphetamines if the 4-methyl-2,5 variant and Shulgin's experiences with it regarding diarrhea are indicative of anything. There's potential for valuable laxative research, and IMO, that's probably their strong point.

This could be literal with dimethoxymethamphetamines if the 4-methyl-2,5 variant and Shulgin's experiences with it regarding diarrhea are indicative of anything. There's potential for valuable laxative research, and IMO, that's probably their strong point.

Wishing I could like this post ha.
That is my issue with that type of family, too much stimulation compared to 2C's and the like ,2,5 dimethoxy amps are as far as (if not farther than) I think it should go for practicality.
~~
The beta-methoxy mescaline was a great suggestion, gave me a boner. I would be very curious as to its duration, BOD vs 2C-D duration would potentially make for mesca-long-time. If MDA and the beta-methoxy version were identical in potency I see no reason why not to pursue a beta-methoxy mescaline, mmmm I am liking that idea alot :)

Yeah, brilliant, let's make drugs with even worse peripheral side effects. There are extremely interesting things happening in 5HT2A agonist research right now. These aren't interesting, they're a side note. Most of the interesting stuff now it's going on in the other side of the amine these days, along with all of the more rigid analogues.

What about these is interesting? Everything we know says they're inferior. Shulgin didn't pursue them for a reason, and to the point that he also didn't pursue the cathinones, suggesting that he passed over a great group... think more. Shulgin was a psychedelics researcher, cathinones are great euphoriants, but they aren't psychedelics.

Yeah, brilliant, let's make drugs with even worse peripheral side effects. There are extremely interesting things happening in 5HT2A agonist research right now. These aren't interesting, they're a side note. Most of the interesting stuff now it's going on in the other side of the amine these days, along with all of the more rigid analogues.

What about these is interesting? Everything we know says they're inferior. Shulgin didn't pursue them for a reason, and to the point that he also didn't pursue the cathinones, suggesting that he passed over a great group... think more. Shulgin was a psychedelics researcher, cathinones are great euphoriants, but they aren't psychedelics.

How would you know without trying them? This is just a cases of judging by its chemical structure.

A few beta methoxy compounds have been made and then we moved on to better things. They aren't interesting, they're a very basic substitution that offers little.

A few beta methoxy compounds have been made and then we moved on to better things. They aren't interesting, they're a very basic substitution that offers little.

But, you wouldn't know that without having tried it yourself... there's very few actual reports that speak of a negative bodyload that I have seen. It is the type of bias similar to racism :p Joking... But! For stimulating, empathogenic "psychedelics" with a high dosage requirement there will always be a market. Especially when they are easy to produce, as these may or may not be.

Like the idea I had of a beta-MeO-mescaline or TMA earlier in the thread, the mescaline derivative could very well be inactive but the TMA derivative could be a special chemical. When in the area of effects that are a combination of empathogenic and psychedelic there is a lot of possibilities for awe-inspiring states

One thing I don't appreciate about the idea of this is the legal attention it could bring to finding ways to ban things like the phenethylamine backbone when the lawmakers realize they cannot ban every new modification of them.

'We'?

The notion of methoxylating the beta-Carbon is certainly 'very basic', correct, but further alterations and substitutions are an avenue of interest.

N.B. - BOB/BOHB = <3
Beta-Methoxy-DOB, humorously holds the 'alpha-methyl-BOB', or, rather 'AM-BOB' moniker.

Surely, 'AM-BOB', as an alias alone, is worthy of a Res. Grant?! =D

I have tried BOD. And with 22 mg there were no peripheral side effects what so ever. That said, it wasn't overly exciting either, and there was really nothing special about it IMO. But that certainly depends on which compounds one otherwise has at ones disposal, because it was in no way a negative experience, just a bit bland. One could say it was kind of halfway between DOM and 2CD, Which actually makes it sound good. I am sure it would become popular if it were more widely available. And I am sure that higher doses would give a more spectacular trip, but probably also side effects.

I personally feel that beta-methoxy sub sounds much more promising than beta-keto. Going from what I've read about bk-2cb, and my own BOD experience. (Yes, I know they can't be directly compared) but I feel that some thing like BOC (beta-methoxy 2CC) would be a qualitatively nice and mellow psychedelic.

Some one please make it :)