• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Best way to enjoy EDC on antidepressants

cbkc93

Greenlighter
Hi, I recently started taking an SSRI, Venlafaxine, for my depression, I have rolled at every festival I've gone to in the past and I am looking for another way to increase my festival experience without messing with my serotonin levels. I'm not interested in stopping my antidepressants just to roll and I am open to any alternative to get my best experience and stay safe.

Taking party drugs with depression is like being a competitive eater with diabetes. The short answer is no. I also take effexor for depression. Definitely helps me alot not like high but like without the depression where I'd become stupified and talk slow just laying around.

From what i have noticed in my own personal experience being on Zoloft (another SSRI) is that it kinda makes me 'immune' to molly, or other serotonergic drugs, lol as in i cant get high on ecstasy at all... or i need to do a incredible amount for small buzz. However i have noticed that it works out nicely for meth. as in the comedown is reduced dramatically!
I am not to sure about alternatives however, i'd imagine some form of combination might recreate what your going after.

Smoke some weed and listen to music, that should be more than enough. Stimulants and psychedelics (which I'd imagine are very prevalent over other types of drugs) are not really good to mess with if you're on antidepressants for a variety of reasons.

Nitrous oxide is another one that's innocuous enough and you have a chance of running into. It lasts a couple minutes, max, and hence shouldn't interfere with antidepressants.

Theoretically speaking / just wondering: what about low dose GHB which is stimulating and euphoriant without being known for exacerbating depression?

That's another one with a short duration and plays nice with ADs, however dosing GHB can be tricky due to it being sold at varying concentrations... the last thing you'd want is to be rendered unconscious via GHB overdose at a festival, that attracts medical attention that is best used other places.

Quite right, but in my experience the GHB concentration considered "standard" (4 ml for full dose) is pretty close to the saturation point (I think about 3 ml for full dose?).. I used to be interested in pushing the envelope with it when inexperienced but later actually preferred titrating upwards from moderate stimulating dosage until satisfied. Even if you like pushing the envelope, all it would take is a reasonable approach to titration I think.

Before that, smell if it's not actually GBL which should put you at no more than 1.6 ml for a dose i think? Maybe you have more info on potential 1,4-BDO.

Also, speaking for myself I never bought G on location.

(edit: although if it is K-GHB you may be screwed due to it's higher water solubility)

Last edited:
Boiling down the GHB solution (and a pH test) is an excellent quantitative test for NaGHB purity and 14BD presence... you don't even need to do it to the whole "lot" of GHB but just a measured portion of it, to determine percent dissolved solid... 14BDO will remain a liquid no matter what and will not boil until it is Really Fuckin Hot (200c+) whereas Na/K/Ca GHB will all precipitate out as a hard "rocky" solid... and of course the pH will tell you if you have 100% NaGHB or a mixture of Na-GHB and GHB free acid. (alkaline = more NaGHB as logically one would expect NaGHB to be a weak base not unlike sodium acetate or butyrate)

But not everyone brings the alcohol lamp, graduated cylinder, pH papers and 0.01g scale to EDC nor, would I imagine, is there a safe or convenient space to be doing amateur drug chemistry onsite. So I think it's still best left unpurchased from strangers you have no hope of future contact with. GHB is fun and all but it is really really easy to mess up and OD if you don't keep track of exactly how much you're consuming and when. Thankfully it usually just renders people in a deep sleep, but being unrouseable on the dancfe floor is a sure fire panic situation that should be avoided at all costs. People (and the attending paramedics) tend to assume the worst. And trust me, waking up in ICU with drips coming in your arm from a drug fuckup is No Fun Whatsoever....

That happened to you? No when that happens it sure as shit puts the whole use of the drug in perspective. I imagine even a medical bracelet that says "possibly G-ed the fuck out - not to worry" would not help there.

GHB free acid supposedly is not favored to form either way: if it does form it should recyclize to GBL. But yes, the saturation limits of G does tell you something. I have seen supersaturated G before, upon cooling down it does not precipitate part of the G but just solidifies the whole damned thing indeed. I suppose that is connected to its hygroscopic properties, does it just get greedy and skip that part right to the hydrated solid?

Anyway, maybe enough on that subject.

Anti-depressants can certainly limit your options, and effexor is not one to mess with. So maybe find alternatives to the monoaminergic drugs then. Then again things like K on their own are not all that festival material to me. 2C-B perhaps.

This is getting "what should I take"-inergic...

The whole waking-up-in-hospital experience I had firsthand was not related to GHB, though I do know people who that's happened to. One friend of mine misjudged his dose while at my apartment one night, I thought he was a heavyweight and knew his shit (bzzt)... so I send him walking home at the end of the night. He ended up blacking out in the elevator down to ground floor, somehow had enough mind to realize he was too screwed up to go outside... and yeah, this ends with him being roused in the parking lot some hours later by some very suspicious security guards who then brought him, bleary-eyed and confused, to my door - asking if I knew this person who seemed to be drunk as fuck. In retrospect it's the best of all possible scenarios, as blacking out on a public transit system can lead to some strange and upsetting places.

Supersaturation of GHB solutions shouldn't be an issue as mechanical disturbances or dust ingress can cause enough of a nucleation site to form and then the whole thing goes rolling downhill.

Ha yes, even if you kept your solution superpure and achieved supersaturation, wouldn't it instantly solidify the moment it touches the inside of your mouth?

Similarly I have wondered about what it would look like if someone jumped into a supercooled pool of water.

I thought In chemistry super saturation occurs when there is more solute in a solvent then is soluble at a given temperature as indicated by precipation when left for unagitated for a period of time or sped up by increasing surface area. This to me sounds like a extreme hazard as any temperature change would cause decreases and or increases of the solubility so it could collect on the bottom on cold days and on a hot day all mix in or if you agitated say you bring it somewhere mix in crystals back into the solution for a short time. Supersaturating solutions for safety I believe here you are referring to using sodium chloride or any excess salt as anhydrous heating it to high temp then cooling it so it's supersaturated with na and cl ions allowing you to remove the chemical via crystalization or with a organic solvent allowing you to increase purity as everything with a water solubility greater than salt stays in solution and kicks out sodium chloride instead which then can easily be separated by various advanced chemistry techniques I'll leave out because that's synth and not hr

Sorry I don't understand what your point is? And apologize for derailing the thread, I hope that enough rolling alternatives have been touched on in the thread to satisfaction.

There's an article on erowid regarding the effects of LSD in combination with antidepressants. Unfortunately they only list SSRIs, Trazodone, TCAs and MAOIs. Across the board the SSRIs seem to diminish the effects of LSD while tricyclics interestingly appear to do the opposite. There didn't appear to be any effect on the action of psilocybin from any of the drugs listed. Of course combining and serotonin mimetic compound with any antidepressant runs the risk of serotonin syndrome, especially with MAOIs. Effexor is likely a risky one given how stimulating it is coupled with the potential downstream stimulation from serotonin agonists or stimulants. Of course it's on a person to person basis. People have experienced serotonin syndrome simply from taking normal doses of prescribed antidepressants.

https://erowid.org/chemicals/maois/maois_info4.shtml

From what i have noticed in my own personal experience being on Zoloft (another SSRI) is that it kinda makes me 'immune' to molly, or other serotonergic drugs, lol as in i cant get high on ecstasy at all... or i need to do a incredible amount for small buzz. However i have noticed that it works out nicely for meth. as in the comedown is reduced dramatically!
I am not to sure about alternatives however, i'd imagine some form of combination might recreate what your going after.

Apparently the effects of Zoloft on MDMA or LSD are dose dependent though the diminished effects are definitely reported.