• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

best way to administer benzo to Cavia Porcellus (guinea pig)?

EclecticElectric

Greenlighter
seems that it's often shot IM or IP. I don't have the correct injectable stuff, but tablets. I'm not doing an IP shot but I can handle an IM.
I imagine there's oral bioavailability, but all I can find are shot doses (particularly for diazepam and midazolam). I have alpraz and a some diaz.
lists the inactive ingredients of diazepam IM solution to be primarily propylene glycol and alcohol, which makes me believe that mixing it with water would be fruitless.
I'm just gonna give him a sub 1mg dose orally, but I'm curious as to if there's a way to actually administer it via IM injection.

Do not inject a guinea pig with benzos, especially not from pills.

And correct, most benzos are insoluble in water.

Bigger question is, why do you want to inject a guinea pig with benzos?

I have injected animals with benzos but i was a vet tech years ago. And it was always intravenously and generally only diazepam (or zolazepam). Never from pills.

Don't inject animals with crudely prepared drugs please!

i had a skinny pig( hairless) she was a strict vegetarian and ran everyday, seemed her buddy was as well, so please these are health conscious beings and she didnt want to use drugs not even benzos during the 4th of july

Last edited:
seems that it's often shot IM or IP. I don't have the correct injectable stuff, but tablets. I'm not doing an IP shot but I can handle an IM.
I imagine there's oral bioavailability, but all I can find are shot doses (particularly for diazepam and midazolam). I have alpraz and a some diaz.
lists the inactive ingredients of diazepam IM solution to be primarily propylene glycol and alcohol, which makes me believe that mixing it with water would be fruitless.
I'm just gonna give him a sub 1mg dose orally, but I'm curious as to if there's a way to actually administer it via IM injection.
Can you please NOT do this?? Why the fuck would this even cross your mind? Take your guinea pig to the vet if it needs treatment of any kind. Do NOT attempt to treat your pets without veterinary advice.

Negrogesic, thank you for the informed, well thought out reply. you also expressed your personal viewpoint/advice (for me to consider my reasons for this and it probably not being a good idea) in a non contfrontational, persuasive way.
Appreciated

Can you please NOT do this?? Why the fuck would this even cross your mind? Take your guinea pig to the vet if it needs treatment of any kind. Do NOT attempt to treat your pets without veterinary advice.
Seriously? And you're a MODERATOR on BL?
For forum full of junkies and fiends there's quite the high handed and sanctimonious air here.

excellent advice, a few advised me very well a sick pet especially you, being such an animal advocate #MODSRPPL2

Last edited:
Seriously? And you're a MODERATOR on BL?
For forum full of junkies and fiends there's quite the high handed and sanctimonious air here.
Mate I've been a veterinary technician for 18 years. Animal welfare is my profession. If you attempt to inject your guinea pig (or any pet) with drugs it is considered animal abuse. No one on this forum is okay with animal abuse.

I assumed you were just doing an elaborate SWIM here, but if you really aren't, then I'm going to echo neophyte and not feel like I'm being overly judgmental when I say please do not do this. WHY would you want to inject your guinea pig with ketamine, first of all? And second of all, your animal can't consent to you giving it drugs, it's at your mercy. You could get in trouble for animal abuse for this, and for good reason. You really should reconsider. And consider what your motivation is in the first place.