• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Best type of CAR INSURANCE w/ someone who has DUI's

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
well, help me out a bit here? anywhere?

anyone have any good ideas when it comes to insurance for those of us who have 2 DUI's?

Your question is vague. We don't know where you live, nor which companies you've been with, or type of car and all the small details.

well shit in general if you got a dui or dwi etc you are gonna have a hell of a time finding a company to give you insurance at that be prepared to pay a high premium to even started

I worked with a guy once who had three DUIs and somehow still managed to have auto insurance, so I know it's possible...

Yeah, at one point I had a DUI, several accidents, and multiple speeding and careless/wreckless driving tickets. No insurance company would touch me so I had to go through a special high risk state program that cost me at its highest 10,600 bucks a year. :(

You may have to settle for whatever company will insure you. Massachusetts is one of the toughest states for DUI. Were you denied coverage? Like Kittycat said, you might have to go through a state assigned risk program.

Moving to Second Opinion

This doesn't definitely doesn't belong in BDD. Second Opinion seems to be the most fitting. Apologies if this is considered "drug discussion".

BDD ~> SO

Considering you're in Mass, it's probably Progressive. Their driver history only goes back two years, and if you got a DUI, most of that period was probably spent without a license.

for you people not in mass, its quite common to have insurance with 2 DUI's. I know many, many people who have it the same way I do. Progressive is one of those companies that will still insure you; as well as many other smaller companies.

not sure where most of you got your info from but being in programs and whatnot, I sure learned a lot about MA insurance and how to go about it. I was just coming to the board to see if there is another out there that may have been overlooked.

progressive quoted me $350/mo and $600 down.

not too bad since I own the car.

Sorry Boston for being ignorant on your states laws. That price isnt too bad in my opinion either.

Don't really know much about the topic but have had friends with multiple DUI's and I recall them saying something about SR-22 insurance. Don't think it's a policy but proof that you do have a policy. Idk. Thought I'd add that. (Illinois)

I pay 350/mo but I live in Boston, so its not going to be cheap. I am driving now w/ license and all; feels good to be back on the road.

Progressive will cover you and send in the SR-22 paperwork. SR-22 is a gov't form proving you have insurance and providing coverage details.

I know Allstate, American Family, and possibly State Farm, will not cover you with the DUIs unless you are already a client in good standing at the time you incurred the DUIs.

Oh, the quote you got from Progressive is a fantastic rate for a younger male in your situation.