• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Best Tryptamine with the least distortion?

Eisbaer

Bluelighter
Does anyone know of a good tryptamine or benzofuran which has the least visual and auditory hallucinations (so no drifting, color shifting, tracers, morphing, or internal hallucinations) but with all the other effects which would make it possible to use in a public environment?

5-meo-dalt was reported to have very little in the way of visuals, while retaining a typical tryptamine feel. 5-MABP is an empathogenic stimulant with a benzofuran skeleton, reported to have similar effects to MDMA.. but they are relatively new and untested compounds and I don't see how some slight visual patterns or slight alteration of auditory sensation is too much of an impairment to be out on public on if you only take light doses of more classic compounds like 2c-b or acid. Shulgin referred to such light doses as 'museum doses' - levels which don't interfere too much with your ability to interact in regular everyday circumstances.

5-MeO-DMT is certainly the psychedelic that causes the least amount of hallucinations and sensory distortions (some even say it causes none), but it's very intense and is not for everyone.

So I agree with Kaden_Nite on 5-MeO-DALT being very appropriate, few visuals plus it is much weaker and less powerful than 5-MeO-DMT.

So for unexperienced and experienced trippers I would recommend 5-MeO-DALT for your purposes.

Only for very experienced trippers would I recommend 5-MeO-DMT.

I'd say it is a bit of a misconception that visual or auditory distortions make it difficult to trip in public unless it is really a complete soup you are getting lost in. Consider this: what else is there in a trip, mainly? Well, the mental / conceptual distortions: if not mindfucks then at least pretty weird thinking (,unusual emotions / attention issues etc...). There are only a few things left, not yet mentioned I mean, that you could hope for like mood lift - granted some 5-MeO tryptamines (well not 5-MeO-DMT, but 5-MeO-MiPT for example or indeed from what I hear of 5-MeO-DALT) have a fair component in the mood lift and stimulation department as they also seem to have some monoamine reuptake inhibiting effects...
I've learned though that it is particularly foolish to aim for such a non-essential effect by taking a psychedelic and hope you don't get the other ones. True, not all psychedelics are such an all-round full package deal, but effects are hard to isolate.

But to return to my point: if you consider hypothetically a trip with little mental weirdness but mostly sensory distortion, you should do fine in public - again unless it is such a soup that you have trouble making anything out. You would see or hear things that could be either entertaining, disconcerting or distracting, but inherently debilitating is another thing altogether. However if you have minimal sensory distortion but you feel and think extremely funny and weirded out, that's much more of a direct issue in public, because there is much less of a question of 'just holding it together' since your thinking and feeling stably is compromised.

Apparently people imagine, even drawing from their own experience, that the worst thing is getting freaked out by hallucinations, but the slightly more abstract effects on the cognition/mind, affecting thought patterns / interpretation and how emotionally or anxiously you react are wildly underestimated.

I've felt extremely weird once on MiPT, but I had no visuals or auditory hallucinations... usually it all goes more in tandem but I fear you might be making incorrect assumptions when you consider a smorgasbord of psychedelic effects. Psychedelics that isolate part of the experience (sensory vs mentally) and thought experiments may help you to reconsider?

So @ OP, I'm a little confused as to what effects you would still like to get from a tryptamine that would be no problem for tripping in public? Not sure what you have in mind with it. Benzofurans are empathogens that are discussed in the MDMA & Empathogen forum. :) Maybe the confusion here stems from the fact that empathogens are different from psychedelics (there is overlap though), and it would make a LOT more sense if you are talking about wanting MDA / benzofuran type substances with as little MDA-type psychedelic wonkiness but just the party potential.
If this is your issue, tryptamines are not a particularly wise group of compound to try and tame to begin with.

I thought 4-HO-DiPT was pretty damn easy and smooth, like the 2C-B of tryptamines but better. But I enjoyed the trippy effects that you apparently wish to avoid. Mentally it was a walk in the park.. but I think not all reports on it are as consistent necessarily. This is probably not what you're looking for, 4-HO-DiPT is still a psychedelic, even if it is a softie.

5-MeO-MiPT or 5-MeO-DALT are possibly what you are looking for but you'll have to clarify yourself. Still, be careful, you would not be the first person to find out the hard way that you cannot abuse such compounds as empathogens or stims to party because their psychedelic component can really bite you in the ass.

Last edited:
I find it quite interesting trying to summarise the difference between a psychedelic compound or a psychedelic experience and a hallucinogenic compound or experience. I find cannabis can be quite psychedelic in the sense that it causes me to interpret things differently, in ways that I otherwise wouldn't have. I may perceive a joke as being funny for reasons that weren't intended or hear underlying or background melodies in music that I had never realised. The candy aisle in the supermarket may seem much more 'vibrant' than it usually would.

Although for me the feeling of cannabis is more cloudy and calm than alert- on paper, this is not much different than the effect that I would get from a low-dose of mescaline or DOC. On these compounds, I become aware of things that I would otherwise overlook, notice trees on my block that I stroll past everyday yet have never really noticed or looking up at the sky I see several different 'types' of cloud (did you know there are different 'types' of cloud?.. several in fact, look it up). These effects aren't really hallucinogenic, but to see the world with almost alien eyes, or to perceive a simple comment or song lyric as a profound philosophical statement that sums up perfectly the time we are living in or the situation or place you are in when you hear it, these are what I think of as psychedelic experiences.

To be sitting on a beach after a large amount of mushrooms hearing the crashing waves as an angelic symphony - that is a hallucinogenic experience. To see kaleidoscopic patterns on the breathing curtains as sinister shadows creep across the floor - that is a hallucinogenic experience.

I actually wish now that I had of tried this 5-meo-dalt when it widely available. I wonder what a psychedelic tryptamine without 'hallucinogenic' effects could have to offer?..

I find mindfuck/headspace to be the much more salient aspect of a trip then visuals when it comes to being out in public.

Only 5-meo I've tried is 5-meo-dmt (I think it was an extract of delosperma 'ice plant', but not 100% sure). Vaping it just put me, instantaneously, into a closed-eye, silent space of nothingness with that creepy trademark tryptamine feel surging through me for a few minutes. The 5-meo-dalt at least sounds a bit more functional.

I'd say it is a bit of a misconception that visual or auditory distortions make it difficult to trip in public unless it is really a complete soup you are getting lost in. Consider this: what else is there in a trip, mainly? Well, the mental / conceptual distortions: if not mindfucks then at least pretty weird thinking (,unusual emotions / attention issues etc...). There are only a few things left, not yet mentioned I mean, that you could hope for like mood lift - granted some 5-MeO tryptamines (well not 5-MeO-DMT, but 5-MeO-MiPT for example or indeed from what I hear of 5-MeO-DALT) have a fair component in the mood lift and stimulation department as they also seem to have some monoamine reuptake inhibiting effects...
I've learned though that it is particularly foolish to aim for such a non-essential effect by taking a psychedelic and hope you don't get the other ones. True, not all psychedelics are such an all-round full package deal, but effects are hard to isolate.

But to return to my point: if you consider hypothetically a trip with little mental weirdness but mostly sensory distortion, you should do fine in public - again unless it is such a soup that you have trouble making anything out. You would see or hear things that could be either entertaining, disconcerting or distracting, but inherently debilitating is another thing altogether. However if you have minimal sensory distortion but you feel and think extremely funny and weirded out, that's much more of a direct issue in public, because there is much less of a question of 'just holding it together' since your thinking and feeling stably is compromised.

Apparently people imagine, even drawing from their own experience, that the worst thing is getting freaked out by hallucinations, but the slightly more abstract effects on the cognition/mind, affecting thought patterns / interpretation and how emotionally or anxiously you react are wildly underestimated.

I've felt extremely weird once on MiPT, but I had no visuals or auditory hallucinations... usually it all goes more in tandem but I fear you might be making incorrect assumptions when you consider a smorgasbord of psychedelic effects. Psychedelics that isolate part of the experience (sensory vs mentally) and thought experiments may help you to reconsider?

So @ OP, I'm a little confused as to what effects you would still like to get from a tryptamine that would be no problem for tripping in public? Not sure what you have in mind with it. Benzofurans are empathogens that are discussed in the MDMA & Empathogen forum. :) Maybe the confusion here stems from the fact that empathogens are different from psychedelics (there is overlap though), and it would make a LOT more sense if you are talking about wanting MDA / benzofuran type substances with as little MDA-type psychedelic wonkiness but just the party potential.
If this is your issue, tryptamines are not a particularly wise group of compound to try and tame to begin with.

I thought 4-HO-DiPT was pretty damn easy and smooth, like the 2C-B of tryptamines but better. But I enjoyed the trippy effects that you apparently wish to avoid. Mentally it was a walk in the park.. but I think not all reports on it are as consistent necessarily. This is probably not what you're looking for, 4-HO-DiPT is still a psychedelic, even if it is a softie.

5-MeO-MiPT or 5-MeO-DALT are possibly what you are looking for but you'll have to clarify yourself. Still, be careful, you would not be the first person to find out the hard way that you cannot abuse such compounds as empathogens or stims to party because their psychedelic component can really bite you in the ass.

What I'm mainly looking for, using 5-MeO-DALT as an outline for effects:

https://psychonautwiki.org/wiki/5-MeO-DALT

Is just all of the listed cognitive effects, and visual enhancements, except without the listed "Distortions" and hallucinations and memory suppression.

5-MeO-DMT is certainly the psychedelic that causes the least amount of hallucinations and sensory distortions (some even say it causes none), but it's very intense and is not for everyone.

So I agree with Kaden_Nite on 5-MeO-DALT being very appropriate, few visuals plus it is much weaker and less powerful than 5-MeO-DMT.

So for unexperienced and experienced trippers I would recommend 5-MeO-DALT for your purposes.

Only for very experienced trippers would I recommend 5-MeO-DMT.

It seems like at low doses, 5-MeO-DMT would not be as "intense" and it would be worth more since a lower dose is necessary to get the same effect.

Last edited:
Trust me, 5-MeO-DMT is ridiculously intense, almost by nature. There are hardly any low-dose easy going 5-MeO-DMT trips if any at all. It will bypass all the colorful carnivals of tripping and gets you straight to the 'other side'. It's very hard to explain what that is, but it is heaven or hell or something else that is ultimate but not so polarized. In terms of intensity it is definitely polarized though!

So no, you cannot low dose 5-MeO-DMT really, not with that expectation... not every psychedelic works that way.

5-MeO-MiPT though, and probably also 5-MeO-DALT, are more toned down but still are relatively 'transparent' as far as visuals go - not much as far as colors go, they tend to be more monochromatic for me - it is more of a pent up internal energy feeling that gets sparked by 5-MeO tryptamines.

Who knows, maybe MiPT might be a drug to your taste, it had mostly those cognitive effects for me.

I must warn you that cherry-picking is a bad idea with psychedelic effects: usually you have to be okay with the broader package because you cannot rely on selective effects. Occasionally it happens to people who get mostly one specific part of the effects, but be prepared to get generally trippy.

5meo-dipt, mipt, 5-meo-dalt and dalt fit the bill - 5meo-dipt gives some the squits pretty intensely so the other are better in public. 5meo-mipt too - didn;t like that one either but mipt,dalt amd 5meo-dalt all pleasing in there way.

Trust me, 5-MeO-DMT is ridiculously intense, almost by nature. There are hardly any low-dose easy going 5-MeO-DMT trips if any at all. It will bypass all the colorful carnivals of tripping and gets you straight to the 'other side'. It's very hard to explain what that is, but it is heaven or hell or something else that is ultimate but not so polarized. In terms of intensity it is definitely polarized though!

So no, you cannot low dose 5-MeO-DMT really, not with that expectation... not every psychedelic works that way.

5-MeO-MiPT though, and probably also 5-MeO-DALT, are more toned down but still are relatively 'transparent' as far as visuals go - not much as far as colors go, they tend to be more monochromatic for me - it is more of a pent up internal energy feeling that gets sparked by 5-MeO tryptamines.

Who knows, maybe MiPT might be a drug to your taste, it had mostly those cognitive effects for me.

I must warn you that cherry-picking is a bad idea with psychedelic effects: usually you have to be okay with the broader package because you cannot rely on selective effects. Occasionally it happens to people who get mostly one specific part of the effects, but be prepared to get generally trippy.

Those might be worth a try. On most tryptamines, Psychonautwiki lists time distortion as an effect, but would time speed up or slow down?

Usually, a trip dilates time (not sure if that is the right term actually), feels like much more time has passed than actually has. The mind processes a lot during that time so an acid trip for example may feel like you've been through several days worth of events when it's only been 8 or 9 hours.

Last edited:
Usually, a trip dilates time, feels like much more time has passed than actually has. The mind processes a lot during that time so an acid trip for example may feel like you've been through several days worth of events when it's only been 8 or 9 hours.

That's sounds good, can tryptamines be taken with benzos? Or would that be a bad idea.

I don't think it's considered harmful to take trips with benzos, some people say it numbs the experience or that tryptamines are best experienced untainted by other compounds etc. All comes down to personal preference. I take everything with benzos because.. I take benzos anyway, I've never found it to have much effect on psychedelics or stimulants, other than smoothing out the sometimes unpleasant feeling in the body, but that's just my experience.

It's safe to combine, but a benzo will dull a psychedelic in such a way that it's usually not worth taking that edge off the trip.

So don't do it preventively, only when in need... if you want to still get something out of your trip beyond a woozy buzz take as little as possible. It's counterproductive, in short..

5-Me0-MiPT is a great tryptamine and is one of the most euphoric drugs I have ever taken. Got me started on TiHKAL by admirable and compassionate chemist Alexander Shulgin. TiHKAL is a good book to read.

On psychonautwiki, it is said that the effects of some tryptamines can enhance clearness of vision; would that mean that if a person has poor or blury eyesight, that the individual's blurry eyesight will become "cured" or better?

https://psychonautwiki.org/wiki/Acuity_enhancement

Probably not so much: usually poor / blurry eyesight comes from changes in the anatomy of the eye that lead to the image being focused in front of or behind the retina instead of nicely on it.

The increase in acuity psilocin etc are known for are expected to come from change in how your eyesight is processed as visual perception - so more like software than hardware considering psychedelics primarily act on the brain and not the eyes (yeah cannabinoids can affect ocular pressure I think but not really relevant).

If the eye does not focus well there is lacking detail information, and sharpening and crisping it up in after-processing won't give you back the loss just like photoshopping a quite blurry image will have limited results compared to the 'original'. Data may be filled in and averaged. Actually not only photoshop often works that way, but our visual information circuits also apply 'averaging'. Maybe if eyesight problems are so mild that enhancement can compensate, then perhaps to some extent it may look sharper... but I'd mostly say that psilocin will make objects and colors pop out more clearly, and if your eyes miss detail information that e.g. on an eye chart is needed to see the difference between two very similar looking letters, then it does not help if your visual processing is 'guessing' / averaging, it would still be guessing that a sober blurry-sighted person may do consciously.

Native tribesmen would use this advantage in hunting because in the visual mess of a jungle it can be of great help if an animal pops out more - but I wonder if it works for everything and if it would work just as well with an eye chart. I'm convinced this enhancement works particularly well to hyper-detect some things like animals, faces etc - better I guess than symbols maybe. Because we have specialized brain regions that help us detect some things, we have evolved to be especially excellent at a number of particular things that have given us advantage for a long time like detecting animals present. Faces / social detection would have evolved later, and language even later.

And there is always the matter of dosage before distortion overshadows increase in acuity, functionally speaking, I wonder if with symbols too high a dose can more easily become a problem due to hypersuggestibility and hyperinterpretation of what exact symbol you might be seeing.
With noticing an animal in the jungle, I imagine it is less relevant if it gets distorted a bit - it should still help detect.

Maybe the ophthalmologist version of native tribesmen would test your eyesight during a hunt in the jungle, and would say that yes mushrooms help/cure your eyesight, but our western ophthalmologist with his eye chart may say they do not... For those reasons ^

Last edited:
i think if you are looking for a clear-headed psychedelic you are barking up the wrong tree.

look into 2C-B, 2C-C, 2C-D, 2C-I.

2C-B probably being the most visual--has a good high, almost MDA like.

2C-C + 2C-D are very mellow. these two and 2C-B are "easy to control" if that makes any sense for a psychedelic.

2C-I has more of a speedy, traditional phenylthylamine body load but is fun

keep in mind the dosage response curve for these substances are pretty sharp. for me with 2C-B, <20mgs im barely tripping then 20-25mgs i have visuals like i have taken two or three hits of acid.