• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Best substitute for lexotan?

Man67

Bluelighter
I've been on Lexotan for the last several years. Primarily to calm me down because my patience is very low. I am a war veteran with PTSD and major depression and pain. Unfortunately I developed tolerance on Lexotan (2x6mg per day) and need something new ASAP.

I am talking about sedative which would calm my nerves, not about something that will make me dizzy and sleepy for thy whole day. To cut long story short, has anyone had similar experience and what's the best alternative? I'm seeing my Dr. next Friday and would like to be well informed before the appointment. Any answer would be much appreciated.

ps. I am taking Endep (100mg), Stilnox (10-20mg) and Suboxone (8mg) on a daily basis. Suboxone is for the pain and depression management only, and l cut my dose in 4 equal parts and take them every 4 hours.

Did you already try pregabalin or gabapentin? These are often prescribed against anxiety and while they are dependency forming as well so still less so than benzodiazepines (arguably) and aren't sedating after the initial adjustment period. Just that for me with the initial tolerance buildup the beneficial effects went away as well but many respond good to these meds. But anyways if you're switching to another substance than benzodiazepines, you'll have to taper after being on benzos for a longer time.

BTW, just as a hint, not a critic, if possible please write the substance names instead of trade names™ as the latter vary between companies and countries and have to be googled.

Did you already try pregabalin or gabapentin? These are often prescribed against anxiety and while they are dependency forming as well so still less so than benzodiazepines (arguably) and aren't sedating after the initial adjustment period. Just that for me with the initial tolerance buildup the beneficial effects went away as well but many respond good to these meds. But anyways if you're switching to another substance than benzodiazepines, you'll have to taper after being on benzos for a longer time.

BTW, just as a hint, not a critic, if possible please write the substance names instead of trade names™ as the latter vary between companies and countries and have to be googled.
Absolutely. Not a problem mate. I am a bit confused with the substance names and that's the only reason I use trade names. If you asked me what is the Lex. substance name l would have to Google it. After so many years....

So, nobody ever was on lexotan and developed tolerance to to it? Before visiting my Dr. l have to guess what should be an adequate substitute. So far Valium looks like the best option. At least its available everywhere. Thanks for the advice and sorry for asking too many question.

I would suggest Lorazepam. Would be my 2nd choice for aniexty next to Bromazepam but it is effective and has little or no sedation effects.

Tolerance to benzodiazepines tends to be class-wide, unfortunately. So tolerance to bromazepam will also mean you will be tolerant to diazepam, lorazepam etc. Switching benzos may not do anything useful if the effective dose is the same.

Stilnox (zolpidem) also acts in a similar fashion and will also contribute to and be effected by benzodiazepine tolerance.

Unfortunately benzodiazepine tolerance is long-lasting and regular use of any benzo will contribute to dependence.

I would recommend keeping on your previous dose of bromazepam but look for another anti-anxiety agent that you could add that is non-GABAergic. Perhaps buspirone? Cannabidiol? Ask your doctor what would be appropriate.

Do not, under any circumstances, increase the benzo dose. An increased dose will be effective for a short while but tolerance will eventually increase to where it becomes less effective. If you keep increasing the dose you will eventually get side effects like confusion, sedation, delirium, etc. as well as producing a dependency that is very hard to break (harder than opioids) and withdrawals that are both highly unpleasant but also potentially lethal (status epilepticus - continuous seizures).

Tolerance to benzodiazepines tends to be class-wide, unfortunately. So tolerance to bromazepam will also mean you will be tolerant to diazepam, lorazepam etc. Switching benzos may not do anything useful if the effective dose is the same.

Stilnox (zolpidem) also acts in a similar fashion and will also contribute to and be effected by benzodiazepine tolerance.

Unfortunately benzodiazepine tolerance is long-lasting and regular use of any benzo will contribute to dependence.

I would recommend keeping on your previous dose of bromazepam but look for another anti-anxiety agent that you could add that is non-GABAergic. Perhaps buspirone? Cannabidiol? Ask your doctor what would be appropriate.

Do not, under any circumstances, increase the benzo dose. An increased dose will be effective for a short while but tolerance will eventually increase to where it becomes less effective. If you keep increasing the dose you will eventually get side effects like confusion, sedation, delirium, etc. as well as producing a dependency that is very hard to break (harder than opioids) and withdrawals that are both highly unpleasant but also potentially lethal (status epilepticus - continuous seizures).
Thanks for this educational post. Everything you said makes sense. I am taking half a pill (3mg) per day and my next step will be 1.5mg. After that l'll only take bromazepam when I really need it (occasionally). Taking some time while tapering down because of side effects.