• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Best ROA for Tramadol?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
I know it's a pro-drug for ODT and should need to be taken orally, but I find snorting it more effective than swallowing it, and taking it sublingually works better/stronger again (and has a much more pronounced sedative effect).

In your opinion - or from a pharmacological perspective - which ROA is the most effective?

Taking into account the serotonergic element, and how the molecule is designed, Orally only for the two pronged success it was made for. You may get some mu response from insufflation, but not the enzymatic route required for 5ht release/uptake inhibition.

Taking into account the serotonergic element, and how the molecule is designed, Orally only for the two pronged success it was made for. You may get some mu response from insufflation, but not the enzymatic route required for 5ht release/uptake inhibition.

I take Sertaline (Zoloft) and Trazodone so I'm solely interested in the opioid effects from tramadol.

From a pharmacology perspective, CYP2D6 liver enzymes demethylate your Tram to O-Desmethyltramadol, with 200 times more affinity for Mu receptors give or take. But if you are feeling a larger benefit from insufflation, it’s happening so you can only go with what your feeling. I would personally steer clear if you are not interested in the anxiolytics/ anti depression benefits.

Actually, im not sure where the misconceptions come from, any way you take it besides orally, will bypass FIRST pass liver metabolism, but that does NOT mean bypasses the liver completely. It will still end up there and get turned into M1 , eventually ...but through bypassing first pass, which is where typically a good portion of drug gets destroyed, by bypassing it, bioavailability will be Greatly increased. Iv, rectal, sublingual, buccal, nasal, all have faster onsets greater bios and will still be metabolized into m1 the good stuff

It doesnt actually taste bad either people are pussies. Iv then im than recctal than buccal, then sublingual than oral than nasal imo, but repeated oral is still the ultimate way to get high on m1

Actually, im not sure where the misconceptions come from, any way you take it besides orally, will bypass FIRST pass liver metabolism, but that does NOT mean bypasses the liver completely. It will still end up there and get turned into M1 , eventually ...but through bypassing first pass, which is where typically a good portion of drug gets destroyed, by bypassing it, bioavailability will be Greatly increased. Iv, rectal, sublingual, buccal, nasal, all have faster onsets greater bios and will still be metabolized into m1 the good stuff

I'd advise against using the term "M1" because it has apparently led some users to assume that tramadol's active metabolite is the same as the cathinone stimulant methylone, which used to be sold under the name "M1".

To clarify, in papers discussing the metabolism of tramadol, the "M" simply stands for "metabolite", with "M1" being O-desmethyltramadol (sold under the name "O-DSMT"), "M2" being N-desmethyltramadol, "M3" being N,N-didesmethyltramadol and so on.

At any rate, I'd say there are multiple things to consider here:
  • Intranasal/sublingual absorption usually happens faster (especially on a full stomach), so despite tramadol itself being weaker than its metabolite, it might provide more of an initial "rush"
  • With tramadol, I wouldn't say bypassing first-pass metabolism causes "a good portion" of the drug to be destroyed. Tramadol's oral bioavailability is around 70-75%, which is excellent, and insufflated bioavailability usually isn't all that much higher than oral.
  • In the interest of harm reduction, I would advise trying to minimize the risk of a seizure and/or serotonin syndrome. If OP is already on two antidepressants, that tends to significantly potentiate the seizure risk: The zoloft is going to compete with the tramadol for your CYP2D6 enzyme (which is the enzyme large responsible for the O-demethylation); to some extent, the trazodone is also going to interfere with the metabolism of tramadol by competing with it for CYP3A4.
  • Therefore, it might be a good idea to stick with the oral route, or at worst the sublingual one. Snorting I would advise against, because I sure as hell wouldn't want a shitload of pill binders where I absorb my oxygen. Injecting is a definite no-no, because a relatively minor increase in bioavailability sure isn't worth an increased risk of seizures, coupled with all the potential health complications that come with injecting (especially since you've got all those binders possibly causing not just infections, but ischemia).

Last edited:
Changed to DHC now as Tramadol wasn't strong enough. Thanks for all the replies guys! I still take Tramadol sometimes too so it'ss all very interesting and helpful.

Don't underestimate just how much previous experiences of snorting things can affect your experience of the tramadol. Previous behaviour can have a major influence on how you subjectively perceive it now. I'm sure that's why there are quite a lot of people snorting things that have excellent bioavailability by mouth.