Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Best Portrayal of Drugs in Movies

Less a portrayal of drugs, moreso a portrayal of addiction but I found NBC's Elementary with Jonny Lee Miller (coincidentally Sick Boy from trainspotting) to play a very convincing recovering heroin and cocaine addict Sherlock Holmes. They focussed far, far more on his addiction than any of his drug use which I found nice.

Ain't seen it in many yrs but The Panic in Needle Park is a good portrayal as far as I remember, especially when the 'panic' comes into play when there's no dope to be had

Cisco Pike (1971), features Kris Kristofferson as a "reformed" Venice Beach pot dealer who gets strongarmed/incentivized "back to the game" for "one last deal" at the behest of an apparently corrupt LAPD officer (Gene Hackman) who, for very mysterious reasons, is insistent that all that pot—an entire wholesale load of primo grass—be sold out within 48 hours.....

The main plotline is neat enough. There are some great moments capturing early '70s LA, especially the denizens of an interconnected nightlife/pimping/dealing/music scene. Not a few moments are pretty hilarious, too, like Doug Sahm—a semi-famous IRL Tex-Mex musician—caricaturing his own taste in "roots" music. Helping pass the time are 'cops-&-pushers' hijinks of varying quality.

As far as the supporting cast goes, Karen Black (always a distinctive presence on the screen) appears opposite Kris Kristofferson as the long-suffering live-in girlfriend. From the other side of the prism, former Warhol "superstar" Viva does quite a convincing job in her role as a blasé, rich-girl JAP driving, pregnant & stoned, tying to escape the crushing ennui or simply find a man "to ball."

But overall—and especially where drugs are concerned—Harry Dean Stanton steals the show. He plays Kristofferson's washed-up counterpart from a mid-'60s folk-rock duo, showing unexpectedly, full of chemical enthusiasm, and wanting to "get the band back together." (H.D.S. is 10 yrs older than K.K. and it shows, making their duo slightly implausible; but who cares?)

Stanton's character arrives spun & gaunt, sick with hepatitis but full of IV methedrine to "stay awake" on the cross-country drive. He has freshly abandoned his wife & children who "don't understand him" and is newly free to pursue his fate in LA. He downs a handful of downs & takes a clothed bath, but he's ready to roll with a fix of speed: if only he had some "horse," though....

In conclusion: highly recommended for music fans, movie fans, methedrine fans, and meatloaf* fans alike. | *(The entree features prominently in this movie during a memorable scene.)

Last edited:
I was just looking through my Cinema folder on YT and saw this from The Basketball Diaries. I thought this was better than Trainspotting.