• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Best OTC opiod potentiator?

lighterbandit said:
poppy pods aren't OTC.

they can be if you look hard enough.

but fresh grapefruit juice (not ruby red shit) and a nevermind
talk about nodding off.
Ill see ya there

Last edited:
Why doesn't ruby red work? It tastes a whole hell of a lot better.

My new vote for the best OTC opiate potentiator: Whip Cream Chargers
I know, you wish you'd thought of it.

Small doses of diphenhydramine and DXM produce a more sedated high. So basically just these OTC meds dont really produce any more "euphoria" but will produce a higher tendency to nod out.....

I've learned a lot about potentiation and the like since I first posted this over a year ago. Whippets are not a potentiator. And to OCjunky, you are correct. Although I'm not fully sure about DXM. I think it may actually be a mild potentiator. As in it actually potentiates the effects of the opiates themselves, whether it makes them last longer, or increases the concentration of the opiate in your blood level or whatever. I have this really good guide on methadone potentiation that walks you through meds from A-Z that tells you what they do and if they potentiate or not, and if they are dangerous or not. Here's the link. I think some of you might find it very informative. This link is posted in at least a couple other threads on here. http://www.atforum.com/mdi_booklet.shtml
I started "The Ultimate Methadone Potentiation thread" or some bs like that not too long ago, and it is there.

DexterMeth said:
I have this really good guide on methadone potentiation that walks you through meds from A-Z that tells you what they do and if they potentiate or not, and if they are dangerous or not. Here's the link. I think some of you might find it very informative. This link is posted in at least a couple other threads on here. http://www.atforum.com/mdi_booklet.shtml

This .pdf is great, but it doesn't list Loperamide or Quinine...

Dextermeth, as usual you are correct.(about the whipits). i admit i was high when i made the post. But you can't shoot down my poppy seeds suggestion. i still win.

batailleseyes said:
You can also look into Proglumide (Milid) and quinine. I am currently experimenting with Proglumide, but the effects have been less than spectacular... it works very well for others (or so I've read).

proglumide is not OTC in the US. i usually use tagamet (cimetidine) or maybe grapefruit juice although as it's been pointed out these aren't potentiators, just 'extenders.' personallly i don't like to get really fucked up (ie, using DXM) or really tired (ie, using diphenhydramine) or really constipated (ie, immodium) so i haven't really found any useful OTC potentiators.

rashandreflex said:
personallly i don't like to get really fucked up (ie, using DXM) or really tired (ie, using diphenhydramine) or really constipated (ie, immodium) so i haven't really found any useful OTC potentiators.

Try an OTC muscle-relaxant... Muscle-relaxants are very good Opiate potentiators, they don't cause constipation, they don't fuck you up, and very often don't add much sedation to Opiates...
They just make the high more relaxing...

jasoncrest said:
Try an OTC muscle-relaxant... Muscle-relaxants are very good Opiate potentiators, they don't cause constipation, they don't fuck you up, and very often don't add much sedation to Opiates...
They just make the high more relaxing...

What are some OTC muscle relaxers?

I dont think we have it in the US.

My favorites are Meclizine, Promethazene, Tylenol PM, and Benzos. I've tried other stuff but they don't seem to do the trick.

salvia isn't OTC at normal stores, but it's legal to buy in headshops in 48 states. I have discovered that smoking a bit of salvia really kicks in the opiates.

^ Salvia sounds like a great way to ruin a mellow opiate buzz. Ketamine also works great as an opiod potentiator but isn't quite OTC :(.

bullshit about potentiating Opioids with OTC meds. If that was the case, EVERY junkie would be at the store buyin shitloads of OTC meds to help them save money on hairy.

The only OTC med that actually has some chemistry behind it is DXM, and that barely even has any noticable "euphoric" effect. Also Promethazine, im still trying to figure out if it actually does inhance narcotics, or just adds to CNS depression.

Drugs like Cimetidine and Grapefruit juice show NO added effects in duration. I have taken it so many times to try and prove the theory of the duration lasting longer/enhibiting enzymes , but EVERYTIME its a no go. I know there is some chemistry behind this as well, but i really think there is actually no effect.

And if you want added SEDATION, NOT euphoria or potentiation, then go ahead and take CNS depressents, such as diphenhydramine, dramamine, or a prescirbed sedative anti histamine thats better is hydroxine, and/or you can take a benzo.

If you want potentiation for your Opioids, you have to: take MORE of the opioid itself, Phenergran(promethazine) which i think has its benefits but maybe it just adds to sedation, but i find it to be a little euphoric with opioids. Or try a low dose of DXM 70-90 MGS.

Out of all the methods ive tried for potentiation, DXM/Phenergran is the closest i got to actual potentiation. DXM only potentiates opioids because of NMDA activity i believe, therefore i could see why/how it potentiates.

People often mistake potentiation/added euphoria as something like taking a CNS depressent. But ALL that does is make you more tired and make the nod come on more quick. And I guess if you like falling asleep tryin to keep your eyes open then thats something you might wanna give a try.

There is nothing that you can take that makes you feel like you took more of the opioid itself....

OCjunky said:
bullshit about potentiating Opioids with OTC meds. If that was the case, EVERY junkie would be at the store buyin shitloads of OTC meds to help them save money on hairy.

The only OTC med that actually has some chemistry behind it is DXM, and that barely even has any noticable "euphoric" effect. Also Promethazine, im still trying to figure out if it actually does inhance narcotics, or just adds to CNS depression.

Drugs like Cimetidine and Grapefruit juice show NO added effects in duration. I have taken it so many times to try and prove the theory of the duration lasting longer/enhibiting enzymes , but EVERYTIME its a no go. I know there is some chemistry behind this as well, but i really think there is actually no effect.

Sucks to be you. It works for plenty of people including myself. It is true that potentiators don't seem to work as well on people who have a high tolerance.

s0nic said:
It is true that potentiators don't.

:)

Its placebo, trust me.....

I used to be a virgin like you and took cimetidine at the very start of my use (so tolerance isnt an issue), but i then realized it did nothing, and quit wasting my money.

Grapefruit juice makes more sense then cimetidine anyway even though they both "theoritcally" do the same....

Go ahead and take your dose with cimetidine and SEE if it does anything, like seriously time it out and SEE if it lasts any longer.

But if it makes you feel better taking it, then i dont want to ruin your placebo high, so just keep taking it, it will make me feel better.

Last edited:
^ You don't know me boy. I'm not a "virgin", not by any means. I was addicted to opioid pills for a couple years but I've been clean for a few months. Please don't misquote me like that. Enzyme blocking works. Some prescription medications even have warnings that advise you not to drink grapefruit juice. Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for everyone.

s0nic said:
^ You don't know me boy. I'm not a "virgin", not by any means. I was addicted to opioid pills for a couple years but I've been clean for a few months. Please don't misquote me like that. Enzyme blocking works. Some prescription medications even have warnings that advise you not to drink grapefruit juice. Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for everyone.

Well your still a rookie in my book due to you still look at medications and the warning labels like if it says "dont drink grapfruit juice" , then think its actually "good" and makes the drug "better".......Did you ever think for once that they say that because its actually "not good" to do?

"The cytochrome P-450 3A4 enzyme breaks down grapefruit juice into useful components for body, just like it breaks down dozens of medications. Karch says when the system is overloaded, the grapefruit juice can “swamp” the system, keeping the liver busy and blocking it from breaking down drugs and other substances. "

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=18991&nfid=rssfeeds

This is just a few notes at how grapefruit juice can actually be toxic to your liver and other organs with the use of all sorts of medications...

And actually, alot of users know that cimetidine doesnt do shit, but more want to "think" it does something just so their high can be a little better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drugs that Interact with Grapefruit Juice:
(from the December 2004 issue of the American Journal of Nursing)

Antibiotics: clarithromycin, erythromycin, troleandomycin
Anxiolytics: alprazolam, buspirone, midazolam, triazolam
Antiarrhythmics: amiodarone, quinidine
Anticoagulant: warfarin
Antiepileptic: carbamazepine
Antifungal: itraconazole
Anthelmintic: albendazole
Antihistamine: fexofenadine
Antineoplastics: cyclophosphamide, etoposide, ifosfamide, tamoxifen, vinblastine, vincristine
Antitussive: dextromethorphan
Antivirals: amprenavir, indinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir
Benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment: finasteride
â-blockers: carvedilol
Calcium channel blockers: diltiazem, felodipine, nicardipine, nifedipine, nimodipine, nisoldipine, verapamil
Erectile dysfunction drugs: sildenafil, tadalafil
Hormone replacement: cortisol, estradiol, methylprednisolone, progesterone, testosterone
Immunosuppressants: cyclosporine, sirolimus, tacrolimus
HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors: atorvastatin, fluvastatin, lovastatin, simvastatin
Opioids: alfentanil, fentanyl, sufentanil, etc
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors: fluvoxamine, sertraline
Xanthine: theophylline

Last edited:
"Karch says when the system is overloaded, the grapefruit juice can “swamp” the system, keeping the liver busy and blocking it from breaking down drugs and other substances. "

That is the point! It is keep the liver busy, thus keeping the "good stuff" floating around chillin' , and waiting in line to be "processed” by the liver. That is why the "high" last longer when you take it. Under normal circumstances it does not harm your liver i.e.: you are not a drunk, you don’t have hepatitis, you are not consuming huge amounts of tylenol ect..

The liver is a tough mo’ fo’ It usually takes a good 20 years of very heavy drinking to start having liver problems. And as some one else here said 90% + of all fatal overdoses are polydrug more than one substance. If an opiate virgin takes 100mg morphine and drinks a few martinis, and shows up at the local morgue; the cause of death won’t be liver failure, it will respiratory failure. You make it sound as if drinking grapefruit juice and taking some narcs, or benzos, will give you liver failure.

Last edited:
when my pods come in this week ill get some organic grapefruit juice to test for potenation.