• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc best non opiate painkiller

blackmarket91

Bluelighter
im going to get my wisdom teeth taken out in a few days but i dont wana get any opiates because im still experiencing paws from methadone withdrawal and i dont wana hurt my recovery as im still not where i wana be feeling wise. not sure if tramadol will reset me or not kinda sucks that i really need them out now what do you guys think

I would say from experience prescription strength NSAIDs are quite good... but I'm not sure if they would be effective for this type of pain. Be honest with your doctor I'm sure they will give you some strong non-psychoactive stuff.

I'm sure someone else knows a lot more about managing pain than I do.

Are you going to have anesthesia? Do they know you are in recovery?

I commend you for not wanting to jeopardize your recovery. Stay strong man.

This is a really tough scenario because if you take any opioid at all it will trigger you back to relapse for sure, I can tell you that.

im going to get my wisdom teeth taken out in a few days but i dont wana get any opiates because im still experiencing paws from methadone withdrawal and i dont wana hurt my recovery as im still not where i wana be feeling wise. not sure if tramadol will reset me or not kinda sucks that i really need them out now what do you guys think
You don't need opi's for wisdom tooth extraction period. They are not even prescribed in the Netherland's for that procedure.

Total bullshit except if you have a special case where complex surgery is needed.

A simple extraction is painless. Local anesthetic's are more then enough ime.

You don't need opi's for wisdom tooth extraction period. They are not even prescribed in the Netherland's for that procedure.

Total bullshit except if you have a special case where complex surgery is needed.

A simple extraction is painless. Local anesthetic's are more then enough ime.

The opiates are for post surgical pain, not the procedure itself. Post surgical pain can range from non existent to quite severe following wisdom tooth removal and the standard practice in the USA is to prescribe painkillers in case of pain, so oral surgeons don't have to deal with people calling them in severe pain later in the day I guess.

I've had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled as well as three other teeth and when I had my top two wisdom teeth pulled there was virtually no pain and I went to work the following day. When I had my bottom wisdom teeth removed, which were severely infected and impacted, the pain was so severe I don't know what I would have done without the codeine my surgeon prescribed. I had to take six tylenol 3s just to get the pain to be bearable and I needed a whole week off work to recover. Similar thing happened to my sister when she had hers removed, she was very ill afterward and in severe pain for several days. It is very variable how people respond.

If the OP is in good health there is a good chance he won't need painkillers but if they are needed the best are probably kava and kratom. Kava won't affect methadone PAWS at all, kratom probably will but a day or 2 taking a couple grams of kratom shouldn't be too significant in terms of setting back recovery. It's unlikely you will need more than a day or two of painkillers. I was only in severe pain the first 2 days after having my teeth removed. They continued to hurt for 10 days but it was bearable after the first 2.

Kratom, Indeed. effective.

But it hooked me. After some serious, not wisdom tooth shit, dental care. I took Kratom to relieve the pain, like I mentioned you don't get painkillers for dental procedures over here period.

But it helped immensely, but I got addicted to it right away. So treat carefully. ;)

If you want to -nuke- pain: Naproxen. You cant use that for more than 2 weeks but Naproxen is so strong its even on prescription in some countries.

the Dutch dentist mainstay is Ibuprofen.

Ketorolac is a non-opioid pain reliever that features opioid strength pain relief, but its a prescription medicine.

Hi. I was thinking what about something like Tylenol-3 or tylenol-4 both which do contain some Codeine. Perhaps those would be "weak" (if that's the word?) enough to not cause anything that you don't want, but strong enough to give you good pain relief? Just a little thought after I read this this evening. I hope that all goes well. ^^

t
I would say from experience prescription strength NSAIDs are quite good... but I'm not sure if they would be effective for this type of pain. Be honest with your doctor I'm sure they will give you some strong non-psychoactive stuff.

I'm sure someone else knows a lot more about managing pain than I do.

Are you going to have anesthesia? Do they know you are in recovery?

I commend you for not wanting to jeopardize your recovery. Stay strong man.

This is a really tough scenario because if you take any opioid at all it will trigger you back to relapse for sure, I can tell you that.
tbh im not even worried about relapsing or going on a bender i live in a house with someone who offers me pain meds almost daily ad i refuse tbh i would take pain meds if it wouldnt mess with my paws that im still experiencing

The opiates are for post surgical pain, not the procedure itself. Post surgical pain can range from non existent to quite severe following wisdom tooth removal and the standard practice in the USA is to prescribe painkillers in case of pain, so oral surgeons don't have to deal with people calling them in severe pain later in the day I guess.

I've had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled as well as three other teeth and when I had my top two wisdom teeth pulled there was virtually no pain and I went to work the following day. When I had my bottom wisdom teeth removed, which were severely infected and impacted, the pain was so severe I don't know what I would have done without the codeine my surgeon prescribed. I had to take six tylenol 3s just to get the pain to be bearable and I needed a whole week off work to recover. Similar thing happened to my sister when she had hers removed, she was very ill afterward and in severe pain for several days. It is very variable how people respond.

If the OP is in good health there is a good chance he won't need painkillers but if they are needed the best are probably kava and kratom. Kava won't affect methadone PAWS at all, kratom probably will but a day or 2 taking a couple grams of kratom shouldn't be too significant in terms of setting back recovery. It's unlikely you will need more than a day or two of painkillers. I was only in severe pain the first 2 days after having my teeth removed. They continued to hurt for 10 days but it was bearable after the first 2.

i dont take kratom anymore i was taking kratom to help me with my methadone withdrawals for only 4 weeks or so and i noticed i wasnt getting better and felt like shit after every few hours when i cut the kratom out ect like 15 days ago i started to notice improvement in my mental state and physical i feel i should be at a better place atm if wasnt for it

just sucks was on methadone for like 5.5 years at a pretty high dose i hope in future like a year from now i can et over the paws and be able to go to the doc for issue like this and get prescribed meds to deal with it and not have to risk resetting myself back to square 1

Ketorolac is a non-opioid pain reliever that features opioid strength pain relief, but its a prescription medicine.
hopefully they will know about it i just dont see stuff like Motrin and basic over the counter meds u can go buy being able to deal with this

i dont take kratom anymore i was taking kratom to help me with my methadone withdrawals for only 4 weeks or so and i noticed i wasnt getting better and felt like shit after every few hours when i cut the kratom out ect like 15 days ago i started to notice improvement in my mental state and physical i feel i should be at a better place atm if wasnt for it

just sucks was on methadone for like 5.5 years at a pretty high dose i hope in future like a year from now i can et over the paws and be able to go to the doc for issue like this and get prescribed meds to deal with it and not have to risk resetting myself back to square 1

just use kava then, get a strong physical kava like a venuatu type

Hey, not sure of what all is at issue here but I have yanked my own wisdom tooth out in the wild and afterward packed it with a salt compress (not recommended). After it was removed there was surprisingly no pain. Guess the absence of the antagonistic tooth was enough....
But kratom, naproxen sodium and nothing would be my choices.
Good luck with this and the recovery... good work. :)

edit: Oh, yeah, kratom is an opioid, my bad.

Last edited:
Hey, not sure of what all is at issue here but I have yanked my own wisdom tooth out in the wild and afterward packed it with a salt compress (not recommended). After it was removed there was surprisingly no pain. Guess the absence of the antagonistic tooth was enough....

How did you get your own wisdom tooth out?

edit: Oh, yeah, kratom is an opioid, my bad.
You know salt, which consist's mainly of Natrium-Chloride. Does the opposite of Cocaine.

It activate's the Natrium voltage gated channel's, which conduct's pain signal's to the brain, right. Cocaine and other local anesthetic's, Lido or Novocaine do the opposite. They block the channel, so no pain is registered!

You guys!! Half the reccomendations in here ARE opioids. Tramadol, opioid! Kratom, opioid! If you are in recovery you don't want those. Nsaids are actually quite effective, I would say even more effective than opioids, they actually seem to stop to pain as oppossed to essentially making you so high that you don't care. People dismiss them just like that, idk why... Combine tylenol and ibuprofen and you'll be good. Gabapentin is also an option, but I'm not sure if that would help much in this case?? not sure?? but def tylenol + NSAID is all you need. Kava kava would relax you a bit which would help... I guess... depends on your personality really. If you go further than direction you could get a benzo which could maybe help, but it could also reduce your inhibitions to the point where you end up relapsing so maybe not the best idea.