View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Best Mushroom Strains for Novices.

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Currently I’ll have access to golden teachers as I’ve heard about them before and researched them to be good for looking at yourself and seeing things that need changed or expanded upon in one life. I will be using these to introduce myself back into psychedelics probably only mushrooms for the time being, and with the hopes to microdose for my depression/anxiety and to help me get to the route cause of my dependence to opiates. Although I know why I use them, I really need a trip to put it in my head that I’m playing a dangerous game. To not sidetrack this anymore. I’d like to have a fun strain to trip from time to time as well, I’ve read golden teachers aren’t really euphoric and a troopers mushroom but I could be wrong. Refer to my previous post . I’m not sourcing or trying to get anything that violates BLUA but I’m just trying to see what one more experienced with mushrooms would recommend for someone who’s had experience but usually overdoes it and ends up fearful of the substance because of it. I generally always regress towards the latter part of the trip it will never end. I have klonopin for the anxiety and I’m in a safe comfortable environment and before I trip I will be doing preparations to not have anything happen that can cause it to go haywire. Lemme know Bluelight family

I much prefer Psilocybe cyanescens, but when you say Golden Teachers (Psilocybe cubensis) those are fine for tripping and microdosing. Most cubes average 6mg/gr psilocybin, and psilocybin is psilocybin.

I much prefer Psilocybe cyanescens, but when you say Golden Teachers (Psilocybe cubensis) those are fine for tripping and microdosing. Most cubes average 6mg/gr psilocybin, and psilocybin is psilocybin.
So what would you recommend I do for dosing? Like how many milligrams for microdosing vs light to medium trip. I’m not ready for full on God dose right now haha

P. cubensis are on the lower end of the psilocybin-containing mushroom family in terms of psilocybin content which probably makes them great for novices.

If you're looking to microdose, I think a standard dose is something like 200-500mg of dried mushroom once every other day with a three day break after three doses, or something. I never did get into the microdosing.

I still believe a normal dose (2-5g) is a good place to get some new perspectives on life, but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone who may think it too much as it can become too much, though, I think that's usually a function of overthinking it all prior to dosing.

I think P. Cubensis have a dark sense of humor if that makes any sense. They're wonderful but can have an almost mean way of teaching you lessons before you're used to it lol.

Cyan's are wonderful and very "BRIGHT" in spirit. Their potency can be overwhelming though at relatively modest doses even, especially for a novice.

I personally prefer LSD and Mescaline, which used to be the more "standard options" from what I've heard (in the 70's and such.) [not that i would know for sure, i didn't exist until the early 90's]

I feel like now a lot of people like shrooms, prefering them on the grounds they are natural, and seeing them as more "chill" which I find to be puzzling, seeing as I experience mushrooms being quite somber and serious compared to phenethylamine/lysergamide psyches.

Perhaps the briefer trip with less cognitive disruption and stimulation is seen as being "cleaner". I will admit I do love mushrooms in their own way and find them to be quite refreshing if done in the evening. Mushrooms seem to remind me of the metacognitive "reprogramming" state that dissociatives bring me to.

Last edited:
I don't really see the point in distinguishing mushroom strains for novices/experts,

I'm talking about psilocybe strains here, not other strains. (of course there is a difference there)

You're basically discussing how much whiskey is in your your coca cola mixed drink.

With that being said I preferred high psilocybin content strains like albino penis envy.
I think P. Cubensis have a dark sense of humor if that makes any sense. They're wonderful but can have an almost mean way of teaching you lessons before you're used to it lol.

Cyan's are wonderful and very "BRIGHT" in spirit. Their potency can be overwhelming though at relatively modest doses even, especially for a novice.

I personally prefer LSD and Mescaline, which used to be the more "standard options" from what I've heard (in the 70's and such.) [not that i would know for sure, i didn't exist until the early 90's]

I feel like now a lot of people like shrooms, prefering them on the grounds they are natural, and seeing them as more "chill" which I find to be puzzling, seeing as I experience mushrooms being quite somber and serious compared to phenethylamine/lysergamide psyches.

Perhaps the briefer trip with less cognitive disruption and stimulation is seen as being "cleaner". I will admit I do love mushrooms in their own way and find them to be quite refreshing if done in the evening. Mushrooms seem to remind me of the metacognitive "reprogramming" state that dissociatives bring me to.

Well said.

I do not find mushrooms very recreational. You will certainly trip....... but usually in an unwanted, introspective and sometimes dark way. I haven't touched mushrooms in years for this reason. LSD is infinitely more recreational and "fun".

Mushrooms are... like a "take a large a mount then shut yourself in a dark room for 5 hours" type of thing. You will discover parts of yourself you never knew you had.... for better or for worse....

And exactly like he said, a lot of people "prefer" mushrooms because they are "natural"..... that is very uneducated and naive way to look at chemicals/drugs/plants/fungus.... they are all basically the same thing.

-snafu

Last edited:
Golden Teachers are about 6mg Psilocybin/dried gram. A therapeutic "tripping" amount of psilocybin is 4-30mg. A microdose is 0.5-1mg. You can calculate dosages yourself.

Less is more. You can always a little extra but its hard to dial down an experience that is too intense.

i always suggest enough to experince a full trip. In therapeutic depression studies they are giving people like 4.9 cubensis dosage equivalent of psilocybin giving them the full ego crushing awakening. My first shroom trip was on 3 grams of potent nz subs which was over 5 grams compared to cubes but i had alot of other psychedelic background. It was very intense and honestly too much if it was somebodies first psychedelic.

I would suggest 3.5 grams of cubensis. Shrooms imo are alot easier on lower doses going in with a good mind set is always key and a good setting. If you are really worried then take 2-2.5 grams of cubensis.

All Cubensis are equal imo/e. Between 2-4g for full effects. But any species of psilocybin containing mushroom can provide a mild trip, you just need to adjust the dose accordingly. You can't take 2g of cubensis and 2g of cyanescens expecting a similar intensity. I'd say start with 1g of cubensis. Some people, like myself, are pretty sensitive to psilocybin. 1.5g will get me to a +3 easily, whereas others need a full 1/8 of a ounce (3.5g).
Everyone suggests 3.5g, that would be far too much for me.

1.5g will get me to a +3 easily, whereas others need a full 1/8 of a ounce (3.5g).

I share the same experience but, more so, 3/4 gram cubies can have me tripping hard.

1/8 oz is an ordeal for me that is ruined by excessive intensity.

Although they may not be available to everyone, 'truffles' from the Netherlands (clumps of mycelium from psilocybe strains called sclerotia), these are what I would recommend for a first-timer who is unsure or concerned of an overly intense experience. They just seem to be more of a mellow, easier going trip IME.

Cubensis and panaeolus cyanescens (not psilocybe cyanescens) grow from around October to May the next year where I live.

Even though panaeolus are generally more potent by percentage of alkaloids, the mushrooms are tiny in comparison. By no means are cubensis mild when picked wild and consumed fresh. They tend to lose a lot of potency when dried out for some reason. The amount of mushrooms in a dried 'eighth' seems like a lot to me.

Four or five decent size, fresh cubensis around here is much stronger than the vast majority of acid tabs on the market IMO.

.5 - 1g of P. Cyanescens is my suggestion.
but .1 - .25 g of cyans is perfect for microdosing.

Not all species are the same, in that they contain varying ratios of psilocin to baeocystin, among other compounds.
Also, look into preferred methods of ingestion; some like the quick onset of tea (less gross chewing), some like grinding into gelcaps, while others prefer a lemon tek.

There’s also 4-aco-dmt, a pure synth form of psilocin (in rough words), or 4-ho-met (probably the best starter psychedelic - closely tied to mushrooms in effects). But if you go with research chems, be serious about getting a milligram scale and looking up dosages on trusted sites like this and errowid.

It’s just the easiest access set and forget lol don’t know how to get Lucy

1.5g will get me to a +3 easily, whereas others need a full 1/8 of a ounce (3.5g).

I share the same experience but, more so, 3/4 gram cubies can have me tripping hard.

1/8 oz is an ordeal for me that is ruined by excessive intensity.
I sat and ate 13 grams like an asshole once. Thought I was Kurt Cobain. Thanks for your help though ima start 1.5 or maybe even 1 to gauge.

Thanks everybody for their contribution, I shoulda stated I’m looking for cube strains right from what I read golden teachers aren’t a trippers cube

Albino penis envy are serious for cubes.
But wood lovers are super strong, highly visual at lower doses.

Golden Teacher is a great variety for a beginner to start with, as it's a moderate potency cubensis (although potency can vary significantly based on several factors) and in my experience offers a great mix of introspection and euphoria, coming in "waves"

I noticed nobody asked your body weight when recommending dosage, and this has some effect on how much you should take. My advice (which you can choose to follow, or not) would be to start with 1.25 - 1.5 grams per 100lbs body weight.

As for microdosing, a mushroom microdose is typically defined as 1/10th of a hallucinogenic dose, so if 3g is enough to make you "trip" then 300mg would be an appropriate microdose.

As always with psychedelics YMMV.

All the best,

Jeff