• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

BEST method for opiate withdrawl!!

I have clonidine, it doesn't work. Just slightly slowly my heart rate. I'm scared 2 take it too, I had horrible withdrawals from clonidine. It took me 2mths, 2 finally b normal. I couldn't stop shaking, I was light headed, I was dizzy, I had serve anxiety, & a bunch of my hair started falling out. I thought I was going crazy... Def think a million times, b4 I try it again...

DXM therapeutic doses for w/d
benzodiazepines for anxiety/tension/sleep
GABAergics (gabapentin, pregablin, phenibut) - same as above and RLS
loperamide/lomotil (even better - diphenoxylate) for diahrrea and also can curb WD symptoms a bit (diphenoxylate crosses BBB)
Cannabis - nausea, pain, sleep, appetite

lots of water
try to eat
I'd avoid alcohol

[h=1]The treatment of heroin addicts with dextromethorphan: a double-blind comparison of dextromethorphan with chlorpromazine.[/h]Koyuncuoğlu H1, Saydam B.
[h=3]Author information[/h]

[h=3]Abstract[/h]According to the hypothesis that the development of physical dependence on and tolerance to opiates depends on the inhibition by opiates of L-asparaginase and L-glutaminase activities in the brain, and the blockade by opiates of the aspartatergic/glutamatergic receptors especially NMDA, four female and fourty-four male heroin addicts were included in a double-blind clinical trial. Four mg chlorpromazine (CPZ) was administered every hour and 10 mg diazepam (DIA) every 6 hours to a group consisting of two female and nineteen male inpatients. The remaining subjects received 15 mg non-opioid antitussive dextromethorphan (DM) instead of CPZ. The withdrawn addicts were controlled twice a day and yawning, lacrimation, rhinorrhoea, perspiration, goose flesh, muscle tremor, dilated pupils, anorexia, joint and muscle aches, restlessness, insomnia, emesis, diarrhea, craving and rejection of smoking as abstinence syndrome signs were observed and rated on a scale of 1, 2 and 3 points according to their intensity. All signs, except perspiration and emesis, were significantly less intense in the group given DM + DIA than CPZ + DIA. The other plus points included the immediate stop of craving and the early onset of smoking in DM + DIA group. The results are considered to be supporting evidence for the hypothesis emphasizing the blockade of NMDA receptors by opiates in opiate addiction. Furthermore, the decrease caused by non-opioid NMDA antagonists in the responsiveness of NMDA receptors appears very promising for the treatment of opiate addicts.

I've tried all that - I don't like they make my withdrawals feel, worse - I'd rather stay awake, although, I did almost pass out becuz of how exhausted & hungry I was... I finally drank some apple cider to allow me 2 eat & I feel I can probably go another day & hopefully able to sleep by then - My body won't allow me to sleep right now - I have even tried Kratom & GHB - Kratom seems to mellow my anxiety & GHB just gave me a headache...

Hello,
I'm new to BL and I'd love some advice. I've been on opiates for years because of knee and hip pain also TMJ. Initially they worked so well for me. Now they do nothing. I was up to 130 mg a day of Percocet. Then I started on Dillaudid. I was feeling like this would never end so I finally told my pain dr I wanted to wean off and take a long break. I'm on 80mg daily and I feel much better. My question is what do you feel about the cessation medication like suboxone? Is this a better plan then a slow wean down? I don't want to take the pills anymore I just want it over. Before when I have tried it was awful! I couldn't sleep my legs wouldn't stop moving I thought I was going to die. I cannot go throug that again ever again. I have three small children who need their mom. I want to be the parent they deserve! I also have had Bell's palsy and I found out I have a brain aneurysm. Three weeks ago I had a seizure. That was it for me. Why did that happen? The doctors have no answer for me but as I type my muscle spasms are fluctuating all over and that's exactly what happened before the seizure. I'm also scared about being labeled a drug seeker or an addict. I know my body is very dependent on the opiates but I've heard if you ever find yourself in pain like after accident you won't get any meds after starting something like methadone or suboxne.
Any advice?

I used oxycontin for years and in the end my daily prescribed dosage was 160mgs and needed +250mgs to nod.

I successfully tapered it down to zero with just a little discomfort but couldn't be without it after three weeks of quitting.

I then decided that rather than having full addiction again I should took the ORT route and started on Suboxone and has been on that since last fall without using anything besides prescribed drugs and even those as prescribed. I have stopped taking even benzos, zolpidem and gabapentin since.

It is not true that you don't get pain management if on suboxone or methadone and you are in hurt or get in to accident. It just limits their options as buprenorphine (Suboxone) blocks action of most opiate based painkillers but there are however stronger painkillers that can even get through buprenorphine blockade. I don't know much about methadone but I do know that there are severe contraindications with it and some painkillers.

Having a high tolerance for opioids itself limits your pain management options as for example they had to use a different method for my anesthesia than they usually do when I was in spinal surgery while taking that 160mg of oxycodone a day.

What I am trying to say is that I would advise you to first atleast trying to taper down with the help of your pain management dr. If you just have that physical dependancy you should be fine with just a little discomfort when you give yourself long enough time to taper down. There are plenty of help for the symptoms you might get when tapering and quitting totally.

Suboxone would be the second choice if you simply can't get on without taking opioids.

Have you abused your opioids or other drugs?

I'm thru my withdrawals, was hell, over a week - I get chills every now & then, anxiety, annoyed, I've been avoiding everyone - Finally slept, I feel better, no motivation, did an upper to try & get out of the funk, so I can go b productive - All it did was make me lazy, but not able to sleep - Really irritable, have been snapping at my fren, who let me withdraw at his place - Now he thinks I live here, he better not think we r dating - that almost made me throw up - Anyways, I can't feel the high of uppers - when has been like this since I was taken to the hospital for an OD, they gave me a shot of some fluid & kept me their for 12hrs - Since I haven't been able to get high, even off blk, I didn't feel a high... Or as high as other people said they were.

Just a side note: when I was in a detox center they put me on gabapentin, vistril, busipar, immodium, clonadine, milk of magnesia (as needed but I could only stomach it once, on like the second day)... All of those in combination worked alright for me... If I had higher doses of everything I would probably have felt totally fine.. They kept the doses really low on me for some medical reason I forgot why. But yeah... Also drank a lot of water and cranberry juice to clear my kidneys and did some yoga.. I felt pretty ok by my 6th day there when I left.. But once youre off it the fuckin' cold chills still happen for MONTHS after you've quit... That and the sneezes! So annoying!!

I am curently withdrawing on day 6 from a two month 50 - 60 mg daily hydrocodone habbit. I've done this once before c/t and was alright after 4 days. This time the symptoms have been insane. I am still experiencing horrible anxiety, can't get out of my head, and "crazy skin". Only difference is that this time I used .5mg of xanax at night for a couple hours of sleep. Do you think the xanax is causing some of the prolonged symptoms? I felt pretty good last night as I finally held some food down and tried to go without the xanax but at around 4 am with no chance of sleeping and starting to panic I caved and took .5mg xanax and slept for about an hour and felt horrindous after. When will I start to see the light at the end of the tunnel? Did I screw up and start something with the xanax?

This was super helpful info to know!

In my opinion the leg pains are the worst symptom omg!!!!