• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Best friend got arrested now im spiraling and thinking of relapsing

FizzyPop

Greenlighter
My best friend/ex boyfriend of 10 years just got arrested and from what I've heard he may be gone for 15 years or more. I feel terrible like my worlds just crumbled around me. I barely have any family left he was the closest I have even more then any actual family. I find myself thinking about Crack more and more not to mention his husband is a wreck and thinking of relapsing on heroin. I don't know how I'm gonna get through this

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, it's clearly a shock and hit you hard.

Burying yourself in gear isn't gonna help though and you know that. Don't do it, it's just gonna make it worse and harder to deal whatever point you sober up.

I'm pretty sure your friend wouldn't want you to go out and wreck yourself would they? It's a difficult time for you. Try and get out, maybe find someone you can talk to if possible but hurting yourself isn't going to help your friend.

Maybe you could try comforting or looking after their husband and focus on trying to do something positive. I'm sure your friend would appreciate that.

But take care of yourself too. Stay strong,

BB

I think that staying busy for most of the day might help keep your mind off of cravings. If you have access to NA or AA, they can offer a lot of support to you, and you can make new friends who are committed to recovery. I guess don't be afraid to start anew. Otherwise, maybe try not to isolate much, as that can make things much worse. Please let us know how you're doing. We are here for you!

So the best way I have come up with to think through this involves substituting hitting ourselves in the head with a hammer instead of using.

idk why we do this but its an illogical thought pattern that we as addicts are prone to.

"I can not deal with the effects to a person I love inflicted by them hitting themself in the head with a hammer, so im going to hit myself in the head with a hammer."

This is not a thought ending cliche as used so commonly in rehabilitation, but rather a clear way to identify and counteract illogical addictive thinking.

Last edited: