• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Best for extreme anxiety?

MissDiana

Greenlighter
I’m looking for help for my son. He has EXTREME debilitating anxiety. He’s on 2 meds to control it, but they’re not helping. Long history of being on Paxil and tapering off, only to be left with extreme discontinuation syndrome.

He also recently quit drinking (3 weeks sober). The beer was the only thing that helped his anxiety, so now that’s gone, he’s really having a horrible time.

Can anyone suggest what he might try? Smoking? ( I know Indica would be best most likely).

Edibles? CBD?

He’s deathly afraid that it will cause more anxiety, and his brain is so messed up from the Paxil withdrawal, that we’re both very cautious, but there’s not much left to try.

TIA everyone!

Order phenibut hcl
give him 500mg to start (thats half a gram). use a scale that reads mgs.
if it works all well... dose him every third day or as needed. it takes a long time to "effect" but lasts forever.
first... talk to his doctor and try to get his meds "right" as a lot of times its the mixing of certain meds that causes issues... i know this from my own and many others that have been medicated after being in battle sits.
just a thought

He sounds like he truly wants to be better, and is right to be afraid of anything making it worse. As someone that also used to have fairly debilitating anxiety causing me to lose many jobs, nearly lost my now wife, nearly lost it all..

He’s still fresh off the booze (I used to drink 6-10 shots a day minimum, so I know how it goes) so needs to be patient with himself.

Problem is anything that helps now with anxiety will make it worse later. CBD can make me an anxious mess once it wears off. Usually the WD doesn’t match the decrease of anxiety I get during, so it’s just not worth it.

I can bet fresh off alcohol he’s probably eating lots of sweets, that is one of the worst anxiety causers there is. He needs to cut it out near completely. I promise if he does that he’ll be feeling worlds better. It won’t be easy, and you’ll need to read labels religiously. But for me it all got better once I got my daily sugar to under 40g from ALL sources. It’s amazing how easy it is to bypass that, sauces, crackers, so many things have unnecessary sugar added.

I swear by this, I’m truly a changed man cuz of one fairly simple change to my diet. Well seems simple at least, but isn’t easy considering just how addictive sugar can be.

-GC

Weed would only make things worse. The most common side-effect from weed is anxiety in my experience. I would not recommend it, no matter the species or strain.

What causes him to feel anxious normally? Is it something that can be changed? For me it was living in an overcrowded metroplex; moving out of the city did wonders for my anxiety.

I generally wouldn’t recommend cannabis for the situation you just described, but if you’re really intent on giving it a shot, maybe try a vape pen. It’s what I usually recommend for anxious people who still want to experiment with cannabis...it allows you to kinda tip-toe into the water with measured doses of THC per hit, rather than taking a belly-flop into the deep end (like taking a fat hit from a joint or pipe, etc)

He sounds like he truly wants to be better, and is right to be afraid of anything making it worse. As someone that also used to have fairly debilitating anxiety causing me to lose many jobs, nearly lost my now wife, nearly lost it all..

He’s still fresh off the booze (I used to drink 6-10 shots a day minimum, so I know how it goes) so needs to be patient with himself.

Problem is anything that helps now with anxiety will make it worse later. CBD can make me an anxious mess once it wears off. Usually the WD doesn’t match the decrease of anxiety I get during, so it’s just not worth it.

I can bet fresh off alcohol he’s probably eating lots of sweets, that is one of the worst anxiety causers there is. He needs to cut it out near completely. I promise if he does that he’ll be feeling worlds better. It won’t be easy, and you’ll need to read labels religiously. But for me it all got better once I got my daily sugar to under 40g from ALL sources. It’s amazing how easy it is to bypass that, sauces, crackers, so many things have unnecessary sugar added.

I swear by this, I’m truly a changed man cuz of one fairly simple change to my diet. Well seems simple at least, but isn’t easy considering just how addictive sugar can be.

-GC
Actually, he doesn’t crave sweets at all. He’s eating vegetarian meats with quinoa and brown rice for now …. With lots of water and a cup of decaf chai tea each day.

Order phenibut hcl
give him 500mg to start (thats half a gram). use a scale that reads mgs.
if it works all well... dose him every third day or as needed. it takes a long time to "effect" but lasts forever.
first... talk to his doctor and try to get his meds "right" as a lot of times its the mixing of certain meds that causes issues... i know this from my own and many others that have been medicated after being in battle sits.
just a thought
Thank you, I’ll look into this.

I’m looking for help for my son. He has EXTREME debilitating anxiety. He’s on 2 meds to control it, but they’re not helping. Long history of being on Paxil and tapering off, only to be left with extreme discontinuation syndrome.

He also recently quit drinking (3 weeks sober). The beer was the only thing that helped his anxiety, so now that’s gone, he’s really having a horrible time.

Can anyone suggest what he might try? Smoking? ( I know Indica would be best most likely).

Edibles? CBD?

He’s deathly afraid that it will cause more anxiety, and his brain is so messed up from the Paxil withdrawal, that we’re both very cautious, but there’s not much left to try.

TIA everyone!

Chlorpromazine (Thorazine)! Unlike most effective anxiety meds (benzodiazepines and barbiturates) it is not addictive or dangerous and you do not need to continually increase your dose for it to be effective. In higher doses it is used to treat psychotic illness like Mania and Schizophrenia, but in lower doses is VERY effective for anxiety. It is the only non-benzo I have ever taken (and I've been on pretty much everything) that works as well as a benzo. In the UK one of the conditions it can be prescribed for is literally called "extreme anxiety".

If he's still in PAWS from alcohol, maybe a temporary use (no more than 2 weeks!) of a light benzo like Chlordiazapoxide (Librium) would be very useful.

*50mg would be the best dose to try for a start with Chlorpromazine and 25mg for Librium.

I hope he is doing better soon!

Thank you, I’ll look into this.
Careful with phenibut; it is good for mild anxiety relief (my wife likes to take it on days we know we'll be going out to socialize) but cannot be taken more than twice a week (or every three days) because it builds dependence rapidly and can cause painful withdrawals.

I've never experienced phenibut WDs, but I never take it closer than 3 days apart. I've heard that WDs are pretty miserable from those that dose it daily.

Actually, he doesn’t crave sweets at all. He’s eating vegetarian meats with quinoa and brown rice for now …. With lots of water and a cup of decaf chai tea each day.

Well I’m sure we’re going to disagree on this one but highly processed fake meats which wreak havoc on male hormones, contain a host of anti-nutrients that impede the absorption of nutrients the body needs, may not be the best solution.

Also vegan diets (assuming) often contain a fair amount of sugars still with the higher intake of fruit, and many vegetables have surprisingly high amounts (like carrots.)

My good friend this summer was having strong anxiety and depression, thinking about using heroin again after off for years. He’d been adhering to a lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet for 2yrs. Nearly all symptoms subsided when he finally took my advice and began bringing in small amounts of red meat to his diet again.

In essence, I disagree that a vegan/vegetarian diet is healthy especially for someone fresh out of an alcohol addiction trying to stay sober. But he’ll likely make his own decisions on that regardless.

-GC

Well I’m sure we’re going to disagree on this one but highly processed fake meats which wreak havoc on male hormones, contain a host of anti-nutrients that impede the absorption of nutrients the body needs, may not be the best solution.

Also vegan diets (assuming) often contain a fair amount of sugars still with the higher intake of fruit, and many vegetables have surprisingly high amounts (like carrots.)

My good friend this summer was having strong anxiety and depression, thinking about using heroin again after off for years. He’d been adhering to a lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet for 2yrs. Nearly all symptoms subsided when he finally took my advice and began bringing in small amounts of red meat to his diet again.

In essence, I disagree that a vegan/vegetarian diet is healthy especially for someone fresh out of an alcohol addiction trying to stay sober. But he’ll likely make his own decisions on that regardless.

-GC
Interesting … I’ll read this to him.

Not sure what you’re referring to as a weird vibe, just a mom trying to help her son.
OK.
We get some strange postings and questions at times and it was my thought that this may be another of those.
My deepest apologies for any offense this may have caused but I do hope you understand.
Depression, anxiety and OCD
Is he only on the paxil or are there any other Rx-ed drugs taken as directed?

Of course most drugs cover issues and they fester without treating the source of what may lie beneath. I am not a doctor but have many years experiences with several mental and physical "conditions".
I suggested the phenibut hcl as I have been on it for years at lowish doses and it indeed helps with anxiety (in social situations), depression and possible OCD... maybe someone can chime in on the possible effects re: OCD. If not I will stay up all night and find the best answers I can find.
Thanks for taking the time to post diagnosis as this maybe shoulda been in with first post as it gives more to work on when others try to figure out a possible solution that you seem desperate for.
Best regards

Here's something to research from a drug addiction ceneter: Take it for what it is worth.

Wikipedia has a lot on it as well.

It may help, it may not. Whatever is prescribed doesn't seem to help much according to your description of the issue.