• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Best drug books

He actually has used a staggering amount of drugs (of all different types I might add). I mean he talks about his drug use quite openly (and quite frequently) on here. As I recall he blew through over $20k in crack in the course of one summer alone.

He’s far from a “poser” drug user…

Honestly that makes the book even more sinister if it's written by someone who knows 1st hand the hell of drug addiction.

Seems like it's targeting new young naive drug users looking to validate their own behavior. And this isn't to thier benefit it's to their demise.

Last edited:
That’s what I thought…

Man, I’m pretty sure you have Dr. Hart wrong. I mean I’m just saying…

"Drug use for grown ups."

The title itself falls flat on its face. Grown ups don't use highly addictive poison that is statistically known by the entire scientific community to destroy and kill, in order to escape reality rather than face reality.

True "grown ups" find strength through other things that aren't self destructive. Family, love, hobbies, art, excercise etc.

Certain drugs have medical applications but that's about it

Last edited:
He doesn’t like to mix his professional life in with this site, which I completely understand. He’s on here solely to help and educate those who use and abuse drugs, which he does on a daily, if not hourly basis. I think we can all commend him for that.
That makes sense especially with such a touchy subject....the book has come up several times in these forums but there never seems to be anyone that has actually read it chime in.

Last edited:
What are your favorite books about a novel or story of drug use, trafficking etc.?

Not really pikal type books which are more a science instruction guide...and not psychedelic McKenna stuff either. More hard drugs is what I'm asking.

I've read

Generation oxy
The one about Ross Ulbrict "kingpin" or something
F and loathing
Exctacy cowboys

Is the book requim for a dream any good? It's my favorite movie.
confessions of an english opium eater by Thomas DeQuincey
Pharmako trilogy by Dale Pendell

those are some good ones.

PS also, if heroin allegedly can't be used casually, THEN WHAT THE HELL HAVE I BEEN DOING FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS
I agree, I think it depends on the person, I hear a lot of people say it’s impossible to control meth use, but I use that like normal people use alcohol, I use a small amount occasionally, I like having it around to use like once a month for less than a day at a time, then I take sleeping pills and go to sleep that night, and I drink protein shakes while high

I know meth isn't heroin, but I’m not real good at controlling opiate use, my point is if I can do that with meth, I’m sure there’s people who can with heroin

I agree, I think it depends on the person, I hear a lot of people say it’s impossible to control meth use, but I use that like normal people use alcohol, I use a small amount occasionally, I like having it around to use like once a month for less than a day at a time, then I take sleeping pills and go to sleep that night, and I drink protein shakes while high

I know meth isn't heroin, but I’m not real good at controlling opiate use, my point is if I can do that with meth, I’m sure there’s people who can with heroin
Are you positive you wouldn’t use more meth without daily use of DXM and other things?

I find it’s a breeze to be casual user of hard drugs when I’m smoking copious amounts of weed and/or life is going good, but when shit hits the fan I’m gonna jump into that pile. Well, I used to and like to believe I’m better than that now but until I get my claws on enough powder/crystals/pills that’s just a theory.

D
Are you positive you wouldn’t use more meth without daily use of DXM and other things?

I find it’s a breeze to be casual user of hard drugs when I’m smoking copious amounts of weed and/or life is going good, but when shit hits the fan I’m gonna jump into that pile. Well, I used to and like to believe I’m better than that now but until I get my claws on enough powder/crystals/pills that’s just a theory.
Yes I definitely would, haha the fact that that you say dxm tells me you’ve read a fair amount of my posts.

I guess it doesn’t exactly count considering that I use something every day.

Another PKD classic: Flow My Tears the Policeman Said

Can't Find My Way Home - which is a collection of shorter writing on people's personal drug experiences - some of them are better than others, but definitely an interesting read.

Disco Bloodbath (Party Monster) as a memoir // Clubland by Frank Owen as a more journalistic take on the NYC Club Scene including all of the Michael Alig (rip) scandal and some of the broader criminal underworld and socio-political elements

Generation Ecstasy // Energy Flash by Simon Reynolds - history of electronic music, rave culture, and how they influenced, and were influenced by, the drugs of the day.

had this, read it. nothing special id say.
I still find it interesting for the historical context. Basically it's the first 'personal experience' drug lit ever published and for that reason alone it belongs on the shelf of any book-loving drug user.

Apart from William S. Burrough's classic 'Junky' that's already had several mentions, here's my pick :

'Junk' by Melvin Burgess
'Candy' by Luke Davies
'Junkie Love' by Joe Clifford
'Cain's Book' by Alexander Trocchi
'The Joys of Addiction' by Sebastian Wocker
'That's What Junkies Do' by Thomas Figlioli
'Opium' by Jean Cocteau (he wrote this during withdrawal, which is insane)

Non-fiction (though apart from the first all the above are semi-autobiographical as druggie writing tends to be) :

'Opium : Reality's Dark Dream' by Thomas Dormandy
'Opium Fiend' by Steven Martin
'Righteous Dopefiend' by Philippe Bourgeois & Jeffrey Schonberg (an anthropological study plus photo essay, astonishingly good and well worth the price, I recommend to all)
'Crackhouse: Notes from the End of the Line' by Terry M. Williams
'Noire Idole' by Jean Dorsenne (for those who read French)
'Drogenpolitik: Zur Entkriminalisierung und Legalisierung von Heroin' by Henning Schmidt-Semisch
'Sucht Profit Sucht' by Guenter Amendt (for those who read German)