• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Best car chase scenes

MyDoorsAreOpen

Bluelight Crew
Like gunfight and martial arts scenes, car chases are essentially choreographed dances -- they're all about really jaw-dropping moves. Any second-rate cartoonist knows how to loop a background really fast behind two (actually motionless) cars, one upstage of the other, while the drivers try to hit, shoot, or fling stuff at each other.

Again, as with fighting scenes, I think chase scenes really belong in two categories that can't be compared:
1) ones that use only real stunts, and are judged on how hard they must have been to pull off for the camera.
2) ones that use as much CGI as they want, even stretching the limits of believability, and are judged based on how intense they are to watch.

My favorite in category 1 is the climax of Blues Brothers, especially since it manages to capture the humor of the classic caper chase scene (something of a lost art today). As for category 2, I was pretty impressed by the highway truck scene in the second Matrix movie. Although that scene did less to move the plot along and more just to show off what could be done with computer graphics, it's more of a gem than pretty much the whole rest of the movie, IMHO.

I know it might sound like a goof, but the first thing that came to my mind was The Chase.

Bullit basically *created* the cinematic car chase.

My all time favorite, though, is the climatic scene of Mad Max 2 / (The Road Warrior in the U.S.).

The French Connection
Bullitt
Gone In 60 Seconds (the original, although the remake's chase ain't bad at all either)

Any car chase scene that doesn't include multiple pedestrian casualties is irresponsible, and the film containing it is a public menace. People need to know that speed kills. This message needs to be jack-hammered into viewers over and over again. It especially needs to be hammered into cops!

My favorite car chase scene:

Last edited: